• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I see -- thanks. What shame that it's not all steel IMO. I will still probably at least try one out though. I keep a high grip on my AR and the safety levers always tend to be under my hand and uncomfortable... maybe this will help.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I see -- thanks. What shame that it's not all steel IMO. I will still probably at least try one out though. I keep a high grip on my AR and the safety levers always tend to be under my hand and uncomfortable... maybe this will help.

or try a MIAD or Stark to take up that gap

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    The standard safety throw is too long and I have to think about it rather then having it become second nature. I tried the Rock River arms star safety thinking that the bump would help but it didn't and it felt unnatural.

Hopefully the Magpul safety will be the last AR part for my gun.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    :lol2::lol::lol2::lol:

Oh no, friend. That's not how it works. It NEVER ends.

You guys are to blame for giving me AR-15 moditis. :whack:
    I wonder if there is nothing wrong with my safety and Magpul gave me a reason.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The standard safety throw is too long and I have to think about it rather then having it become second nature. I tried the Rock River arms star safety thinking that the bump would help but it didn't and it felt unnatural.

Hopefully the Magpul safety will be the last AR part for my gun.

The 60 degree throw of the Magpul/Noveske selector feels very natural. I've had the ambi version on my AR SBR for a little while now and have no complaints.

If you've already ordered it keep in mind that you will need a very small flathead screwdriver to install it. And I mean VERY SMALL. If you have any questions let me know.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    The 60 degree throw of the Magpul/Noveske selector feels very natural. I've had the ambi version on my AR SBR for a little while now and have no complaints.

If you've already ordered it keep in mind that you will need a very small flathead screwdriver to install it. And I mean VERY SMALL. If you have any questions let me know.

I have a precision tool set so no worries. I have known about this new safety for a few weeks now and it was your review that made me pull the trigger (no pun intended) .
    The safety on my MP-5 .22 is very nice and I hope this will give me somewhat the same feel.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I've never had a problem with the throw but I have stumpy thumbs. I just have a hard time reaching the selector. Any recommendations from anyone else with stubby didgets on a good extended safety? I'm not sure that something longer would necessarily be easier to reach.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I've never had a problem with the throw but I have stumpy thumbs. I just have a hard time reaching the selector. Any recommendations from anyone else with stubby didgets on a good extended safety? I'm not sure that something longer would necessarily be easier to reach.

I went ahead just now and studied the problem on my AR and it appears that its not the size of the selector as I first thought, it's the throw for sure. I'm able to select fire very easily but when I go to safe I have to literally lose my grip to stretch my thumb to catch the selector and move it up.

I have long fingers and thumbs so I don't think an extended selector would solve your problem. I believe this new selector may actually fix this annoying issue, at least I hope.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I went ahead just now and studied the problem on my AR and it appears that its not the size of the selector as I first thought, it's the throw for sure. I'm able to select fire very easily but when I go to safe I have to literally lose my grip to stretch my thumb to catch the selector and move it up.

I have long fingers and thumbs so I don't think an extended selector would solve your problem. I believe this new selector may actually fix this annoying issue, at least I hope.

yes either the 60 shown here or a 45 throw would deffinetly fix your problem

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton

I went and looked last night also and agree with your assessment. I found going from S to F to be relatively easy but I also have to break my grip to reach for the lever going from F to S. it looks like the 60 degree lever should reduce the reach

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I went and looked last night also and agree with your assessment. I found going from S to F to be relatively easy but I also have to break my grip to reach for the lever going from F to S. it looks like the 60 degree lever should reduce the reach

if the 60 is not enough try the BadAss 45

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    We will certainly find out Tomorrow as I should have the Magpul delivered.
    I will test to see if I'm able to move my thumb back to safe without breaking grip.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    We will certainly find out Tomorrow as I should have the Magpul delivered.
    I will test to see if I'm able to move my thumb back to safe without breaking grip.

A couple of installation tips:

Before you install the selector drum into the receiver first attach one of the levers. It takes a little force to install the levers over the notch on the selector drum. Youll see what I mean when you have it in your hands. Plus, the screws used to secure the levers are extremely small and can be a bit difficult to install once on the firearm. Getting the installation of one of the levers out of the way prior to installing the selector drum into the receiver just makes things easier. Just make sure you are attaching the lever in the correct orientation to the selector drum.

After installing the selector drum, do not reinstall the pistol grip prior to attaching the remaining lever. The grip gets in the way of the screwdriver needed to install the lever retaining screw if you do. It can be done after installing the grip first. But it just makes it easier to do it before replacing the grip.

If you run into any issues let me know. Its a pretty straight forward installation. So much so that there are no instructions even included in the packaging. But, let me know if you have any questions.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    A couple of installation tips:

Before you install the selector drum into the receiver first attach one of the levers. It takes a little force to install the levers over the notch on the selector drum. Youll see what I mean when you have it in your hands. Plus, the screws used to secure the levers are extremely small and can be a bit difficult to install once on the firearm. Getting the installation of one of the levers out of the way prior to installing the selector drum into the receiver just makes things easier. Just make sure you are attaching the lever in the correct orientation to the selector drum.

After installing the selector drum, do not reinstall the pistol grip prior to attaching the remaining lever. The grip gets in the way of the screwdriver needed to install the lever retaining screw if you do. It can be done after installing the grip first. But it just makes it easier to do it before replacing the grip.

If you run into any issues let me know. Its a pretty straight forward installation. So much so that there are no instructions even included in the packaging. But, let me know if you have any questions.

I appreciate the support. :)
    Thanks for the tips as well.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Hmmm never had a problem with the original safety. Positive engagement, it points to whether it is safe or not, and you'd have to be a complete goober to mess it up.

Now a plastic/metal part that kinda/sorta points to whether the safety is disengaged is better? I'm sorry, but I really don't see why after the last few decades of no complaints this is suddenly better.

Flame suit on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom