• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    I have it, but have never used it. To those who have, do you need to present that letter when you make your purchase?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have it, but have never used it. To those who have, do you need to present that letter when you make your purchase?
    Nope, no one ever asks for it. But they know at MSP when approving your 77R. There is a question on the 77R that asks if you are a designated collector. Check the box that says YES. That's it.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    If I ever decide to sell some of my collection and an overzealous prosecutor wants to jam me up for not having a FFL01 under the craziness that is flying around right now, this is my prima fascia evidence that I am a collector, not dealer.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Thanks.

What does it look like? Is it addressed from Maryland State Police? My roommate is often the person who checks my mail. I certainly do not want him to freak out.
    Yes, white envelope, from State of MD or something.

If you are worried about your roommate being freaked out about the outside of an envelope, I suggest finding a better roommate.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    If I ever decide to sell some of my collection and an overzealous prosecutor wants to jam me up for not having a FFL01 under the craziness that is flying around right now, this is my prima fascia evidence that I am a collector, not dealer.

Good idea, Im stealing it!

But in light of their penchant for no knock raids, and then killing the suspect when he wakes up to what he assumes is a home invasion, I doubt the subject will be alive for a prosecutor to jam up

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah, um...MSP has said the the letter does not convey that.
    It's only purpose is to be able to purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah, um...MSP has said the the letter does not convey that.
    It's only purpose is to be able to purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

Good old MSP, making it up as they go along.

Who needs a legislature, anyway? They'll only write some vague scribble based on zero facts, and leave the interpretation to the guys with the guns.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

That would make you a seller, not a collector. Biden is currently trying to prevent private sales without an FFL.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    As the new policy dictates, collectors can only sell lawfully if you don't make a profit. So it seems.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Good old MSP, making it up as they go along.

Who needs a legislature, anyway? They'll only write some vague scribble based on zero facts, and leave the interpretation to the guys with the guns.
    Nothing in state statute makes the claim that the designated collector letter confers collector status to the holder. It's only purpose is to permit the holder to bypass the one gun in 30 days rule.
    The only people trying to make more than it actually is, are those that want to use it to show they are a bona fide collector in order to transport firearms.

So it isn't MSP making it up as they go along, it's those people that want to play collector that are.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Then why call it "designated collector"? Words used to have specific meanings.

Also I recall it permitting collectors (there's that word again) to bring firearms for public and private display.
    Of course that too is subject to MSP interpretation, doubtless in a repressive direction.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Then why call it "designated collector"? Words used to have specific meanings.

Also I recall it permitting collectors (there's that word again) to bring firearms for public and private display.
    Of course that too is subject to MSP interpretation, doubtless in a repressive direction.

I don't believe the DC "letter" has anything to do with legally defining a "collector" under MD statute. It is subject to interpretation (not necessarily by MSP, could be the Courts).

"boner fide" that Biggfoot mentioned below.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

That's Bonifide Collector.
    Which has no definition , other than it's different from Designated Collector.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

A Designated Collector is a status granted and approved by the Maryland State Police upon submission of an application. It is granted to an individual who devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection, or possesses a Federal Firearms License (Collector of Curio and Relics). A Designated Collector is not authorized to act as a firearms dealer.

30 day limit on handgun purchase

Blame these folks-

Md. Code, Pub. Safety § 5-129​

Section 5-129 - Purchases within 30 days - Multiple purchases allowed
    (a) Notwithstanding § 5-128(b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:
    (1) the person applies for and the Secretary approves a multiple purchase; and
    (2)(i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or a collector series;
    (ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;
    (iii)1. the purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase to take advantage of a licensee's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase; and
    2. the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved under item (i) or (ii) of this item; or
    (iv) the purchase is for other purposes similar to items (i) through (iii) of this item.

(b)
    (1)
    The application for a multiple purchase shall:
    (i) list the regulated firearms to be purchased;
    (ii) state the purpose of the purchase of more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period;
    (iii) be witnessed by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency; and
    (iv) be signed under the penalty of perjury by the firearm applicant.

(2) The application for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms shall be attached to a completed firearm application and forwarded to the Secretary by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency.

(c) On receipt of the firearm application and the application for a multiple purchase, the Secretary shall conduct a background investigation as required in § 5-121 of this subtitle.

(d) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Definitions that a normal person would put on anything is not the same as a definition in law. In law, something must be specifically defined in the law itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom