• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I have some dies I picked up somewhere and there's one I'm not really sure about. It's a Lee rifle die and it is stamped with 7.5/28-C5

I know, and load, 7.5X55 Swiss and 7.5X54 French, but what is this one?? Can someone give me some information on this 7.5/28 - C5 die?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have 3 dies I need to sort out and have never bothered to contact Lee.
    turning on my google fu I found this. (see post #19 for where C5 means a date code)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?133562-Help-Identifying-LEE-dies

Not sure what the /28 is yet. I'm still looking

Is this stamped on the top or the bottom?
    Is this a resizing die or can you tell if its a seating die or crimp die?

I"m not sure but it may be the case that for seating or crimp dies, the outer part is the same for multiple cartridges. and the combination of outer part and inner parts make up the actual LEE part # for the assembly.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Apparently it (7.5x28) is a not so common Belgian, French or Brno produced cartridge.

Start here or a google search...there isn't much. I stopped here at the link below. It is a blog. To say the reading is different should prepare you.......
    http://picuket.com/user/dominate_56

post by @dominate_56. 3 months ago

Yes, reading this blog is....different. :crazy: Anyway, I see where he talks about the 7.5X28, but I think he actually means the FN 5.7X28 handgun round. This is definitely a rifle seating die. I may have picked up the die along with other included stuff when I bought my MAS 49/56. I think it MIGHT be for a French MAS 7.5/54, but my other Lee dies for this round say 7.5X54.

Yes, I know I can call Lee on Monday, but I thought someone here would know the answer right off. Besides....where's the fun in THAT?

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Here's the picture I sent to them.

Attachments

• 7.5 die.jpg
      7.5 die.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 91

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I have no idea what caliber the die is meant to resize.

But why are there two locking nuts on the die body? I don't have any dies that require more than one to adjust and hold them tightly on a press.

:shrug:

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I heard back from Lee today. You guys will like this.

"Hello Rod,

The exterior design shape of the die indicates that it is a dead length bullet seating die. The 28 would indicate a case that is 1.102" long. Where did you find the die? It is not a standard inventory die for Lee and I am not familiar with nor can I find any information on the caliber designation.

Thanks,

Peter
    Customer Service"

------------------------

I think it may have come with a MAS 49/56 that I bought from someone. But, he gave me regular 7.5x54 dies with it. Perhaps it was in with them and I didn't notice. I also load 7.5x55 Swiss.

-Rod
    -------------------------
    You've got us stumped here. I asked John Lee and our plant foreman of 30 years and it does not ring a bell with them or me. We do not keep records for the individual
    wildcat calibers that we do because the list would be almost endless. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thanks,

Peter
    Customer Service

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I have no idea what caliber the die is meant to resize.

But why are there two locking nuts on the die body? I don't have any dies that require more than one to adjust and hold them tightly on a press.

:shrug:

There are additional locking nuts on there because I didn't have any other place to put them. :lol2: I use Hornady locking nuts instead of the Lee nuts.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    By the way, I think the tech is wrong about the meaning of 28 on the die. There's no way that die is for a 1.102 inch case. Also, it has 7.5/28 as opposed to "caliber X length" like their other dies. It should read 7.5x28 to be consistent.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Judging from the picture the external size of the die is the same as my Lee 7.63 x 25 (.990") 30 Mauser seating die. So 28mm/1.03 is not unbelievable.
    However, I have no clue what cartridge your little gem would be for.

Out of curiosity did you try placing various cases into it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom