• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heres a good one for everyone...
    I was shooting with a good friend several years ago and went back to his house to put the firearms away before going back out. I put my pistol in an open safe and closed the door. My friend immediately yelled "NO!!!" because he was just given the safe (valueables, not gun) secondhand and didn't have the combination to it.
    The amount of money it would cost to open the safe is more than the pistol is worth, so my pistol has been sitting in a locked safe at my friend's house for several years.
    Is this legal under new legislation? Is there any way for me to transfer the pistol to him without having said pistol physically with us at MSP?

robbo

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2008
    AACO
    Legal? Yes. It is neither lost nor stolen. More like borrowed (assuming your friend is not prevented from owning a firearm)

You cannot transfer the pistol to him without physically taking it to MSP and having the serial number verified.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Legal? Yes. It is neither lost nor stolen. More like borrowed (assuming your friend is not prevented from owning a firearm)

You cannot transfer the pistol to him without physically taking it to MSP and having the serial number verified.

Yep. I agree with this. Perfectly legal for him to have the gun(provided he already has a handgun) IF he doesnt already have a handgun then under the new law he would need to get the lic to keep "your" handgun. You need to take the gun to MSP for SN verification.

Yes, he owns regulated firearms and has the "I watched a handgun video" card to purchase regulated firearms.
    It is mine, but has been (technically) in his posession for 3-4 years. I don't want to spend crazy money to get a safe cracked just to get a pistol that is only worth ~$200. As long as it is legal, I just assume keep it in his safe indefinately.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Is there some impediment to simply figuring out the combination via trial and error?

There are only so many combinations possible and you can incrementally go through them. I remember my dad doing this from time to time on padlocks when they hadn't been used in a while and nobody could remember the combination.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Is there some impediment to simply figuring out the combination via trial and error?

There are only so many combinations possible and you can incrementally go through them. I remember my dad doing this from time to time on padlocks when they hadn't been used in a while and nobody could remember the combination.

combination safe with a dial??? not possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom