• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I know some gun shops do charge you the full prices for a gun when you fill out the paperwork. For instance OnTarget only charges around 25% of the purchase price and the rest when you come back not disapproved you pick the gun up and pay the rest. Generally that isn't a big deal since the paperwork only takes about a week but right now there could be issues with that practice?

1) The MSP is way behind on paper work with many people see 60 to 70 day wait times and that number is just going up.

2) After Oct 1, 2013 any regulated long gun is banned also any mag greater then 10 round unless you have purchased them prior to 10/1/2013

In my case I have 4 months on my 2 purchases made like this so it will be not disapproved way before 10/1/2014 but if someone were to buy a gun like this on 9/1/2013 would they be able to finish the transaction?

Thanks
    Robert

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I know some gun shops do charge you the full prices for a gun when you fill out the paperwork. For instance OnTarget only charges around 25% of the purchase price and the rest when you come back not disapproved you pick the gun up and pay the rest. Generally that isn't a big deal since the paperwork only takes about a week but right now there could be issues with that practice?

1) The MSP is way behind on paper work with many people see 60 to 70 day wait times and that number is just going up.

2) After Oct 1, 2013 any regulated long gun is banned also any mag greater then 10 round unless you have purchased them prior to 10/1/2013

In my case I have 4 months on my 2 purchases made like this so it will be not disapproved way before 10/1/2014 but if someone were to buy a gun like this on 9/1/2013 would they be able to finish the transaction?

Thanks
    Robert

you "should" be able to.. as long there is already bill of sale/receipt what not. if the waiting is pass 10/1.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Thanks
    Robert

The answer is quite simple, so long as you have a purchase order for or completed an application to purchase a firearm, before October 1, it will be grandfathered if it is a banned firearm.

Cite: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Page 14 starting on line 9 through line 16.

9 (3) (I) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED OR PLACED A
    10 VERIFIABLE PURCHASE ORDER FOR, HAS A PURCHASE ORDER FOR, OR
    11 COMPLETED AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A
    12 COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013, AND WHO REGISTERS THE
    13 ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE
    14 POLICE BEFORE NOVEMBER 1, 2013 JANUARY 1, 2014, MAY:
    15 (I) 1. (I) CONTINUE TO POSSESS AND TRANSPORT THE
    16 ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON; OR

17 (II) 2. (II) WHILE CARRYING A COURT ORDER REQUIRING
    18 THE SURRENDER OF THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON,
    19 TRANSPORT THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON DIRECTLY TO THE
    20 LAW ENFORCEMENT UNIT, BARRACKS, OR STATION IF THE PERSON HAS
    21 NOTIFIED THE LAW ENFORCEMENT UNIT, BARRACKS, OR STATION THAT THE
    22 PERSON IS TRANSPORTING THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON IN
    23 ACCORDANCE WITH A COURT ORDER AND THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT
    24 WEAPON IS UNLOADED.
    (the strike through did not copy)

Emphasis mine.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A

Thanks
    Robert

For an "assault long gun" or "copycat assault long gun", yes they could complete the transaction, BUT the shop must have the firearm in the shop prior to 10/1/13.

For a handgun, I think the new fingerprinting/training/licensing BS will trip you up. My opinion is that you'll have to jump through new hoops if your handgun isn't transferred to you prior to 10/1/13. You'll still be able to get it *eventually* but who knows when the required training classes will be available or how much extra you'll have to spend on fingerprints and training before the transfer can be legally completed after 10/1/13.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom