• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I got 4 boxes of MHP when it was similarly cheap on Norma's website. I'm wondering if it was discontinued and this is the clearance of it?

The weight is lighter due to the bullet being all copper. From what I found online, it has very reliable and large expansion though less penetration compared to normal JHP.

I have not yet had a chance to shoot any of mine at the range yet, though I've liked Norma's other FMJ ammo which I have more frequently used.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The reviews that I have seen on their MHP ammo are mixed. Many of the video reviews I’ve seen are showing it fails to expand after going through thick clothing.

Have not been swayed enough by any reviews to have a desire to buy any of their MHP.

I do, however, like their 124gr FMJ range ammo.

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC
    That actually not even a great price. $7 for a box of 20 is like $17.50 for a box of 50. Lots of range/plinking ammo is in that price range.

That’s about what I pay for cheap plinking 9mm at my LGS. At the range it’s about $14 right now for a box of 50 plinking ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , made me look it up .

It's solid copper HP projectiles , intended as Premium Defensive ammo . Other design criteria includes Less recoil than standard 115 gr . presumably for better contol from subcompacts .

NRA testing by Richard Mann in '19 showed very consistent velocity and good accuracy . Tested velocities in compact pistols of course lower than the advertised velocity from 6 inch test bbl .

In plain gel , expansion ran close to 0.90 inch , with 10.5 to 12 inch penetration . Mann also tested thru denim , and reported " about the same penetration , but marginally less expansion .

Original pricing was $28- ish / 20 rds .l

I'm guessing that it didn't meet sales expectations , and PSA and/ or Norma are blowing it out prior to either discontinuing or an updated revision .

It's not , nor claim to be Duty or quasi duty type ammo . For the subcategory of " Low Recoil , extreme penetration not needed " , you could do a lot worse , and currently priced within 50% of generic plinking fmj .

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC
    Well if it’s meant to be premium defensive ammo not plinking ammo my thought is don’t worry too much about price.

How much defensive ammo do you really use anyways?

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I saw an update from Norma that it looks like it is being discontinued. Maybe it didn't sell well enough?

I tried two of my boxes at the range the other day and it all worked flawlessly. I'm don't think I'll use it to carry though, especially now that it won't be available again.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Don't ever buy Norma .22LR though. It is horrible.
    Tac 22 is roughly equivalent to CCI SV. Personally I like it just a bit more. Not sure what you used but tons of the guys at RFC and myself definitely disagree with you.

Probably the best value in .22lr right now.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Tac 22 is roughly equivalent to CCI SV. Personally I like it just a bit more. Not sure what you used but tons of the guys at RFC and myself definitely disagree with you.

Probably the best value in .22lr right now.
    Under power, my Ruger Mark IV can't cycle properly. It is constantly jamming. I decided to use it with 22LR revolver.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Under power, my Ruger Mark IV can't cycle properly. It is constantly jamming. I decided to use it with 22LR revolver.
    That's really weird. It cycles my pickiest Bucknark and that pistol hates almost everything. I am pretty much just using it for semiautos.

I get it though . Once it does you dirty, you just can't trust it anymore. I trust the Norma enough that I just bought 2 cases from Palmetto for $329/case.

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Beretta Holding S.A recently acquired Norma Precision, the holding company always dumps underperforming product. Not that this round is bad, it just did not sell well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom