• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    Yup Blackthorne, bet you won't make a post like that again! You became cannon fodder for the true believers.

I, on the other hand, appreciate your posts. I have learned a lot from you in the past and hope to continue to do so. Please keep posting whenever you have a thought to pass on to us. I sincerely doubt that your comments or attitude to the Noob were as many of the above posters have implied.

What actually makes him a prime candidate for the direction this thread went is that he would be one of the first to swing the stick or throw the stone if somebody else posted something like this. Usually the amount you dish out gets magnified when it comes back at you. I'm not taking anything away from the guy, just making an observation.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You guys sure like to read between the lines in order to bolster your self righteous egos. Well boys, let me say that at no time did I belittle the noob. At no time was I anything less than helpful or polite. In a scant minute or two, I politely recommended taking a learn to shoot class, mentioning the great facility at PG, directed him to the better pump on the rack that was within his budget, and was able to do this without interfering with the store or salesman. I would have loved to do more and don't need a lecture about mentoring would-be gun enthusiasts from any of you. Doing so in the middle of a store's opportunity to sell a gun would not have been the right thing to do. Sure, I was laughing inside, so what. The only mistake I made was to share a chuckle about a noob in a room with so many other noobs and boobs. I'll not be baited further. Have a good day.

Perhaps we should revisit some of your own self-righteous posts from the past, eh Bob?

Or would you like to talk some of the legal bitch slapping you took for your other self-righteous behavior that was a direct result of your own ego surpassing good judgement?

Think carefully before you respond. Seriously. It's all a matter of record and you know that you've been walking on thin ice here for a long time.

So before you go on with bad-mouthing people here about "reading between the lines" you might want to consider that there are a few of us here that are more than happy to fill in the space between those lines for all to see.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    His his posts were in the vein of, lets laugh at this moron that knows less about firearms than I do. Oh so the guy is a 40 year old yuppy, shame him. The conversation sounds like a lot of challenging rather than helping, which puts off noobs for obvious reason.

Exactly!

The fella might be lurking on MDS right now trying to do research.

The OP may not have belittled the newb face to face, but the OP isn't doing the newb any favors here.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Perhaps we should revisit some of your own self-righteous posts from the past, eh Bob?

Or would you like to talk some of the legal bitch slapping you took for your other self-righteous behavior that was a direct result of your own ego surpassing good judgement?

Think carefully before you respond. Seriously. It's all a matter of record and you know that you've been walking on thin ice here for a long time.

So before you go on with bad-mouthing people here about "reading between the lines" you might want to consider that there are a few of us here that are more than happy to fill in the space between those lines for all to see.

I believe he said "Good day, sir!"

But I'm willing to hear the tale, nothing good on TV tonight anyway. :D

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    And therein demonstrates our serious problem recruiting new people to our sport. The fact is the majority of average citizens (voters) have learned their gun knowledge from movies. For this noob, TV peaked his interest, which is a good thing. I expect blackthorne could have dazzled the noob with knowledge and steered him in the right direction. Instead he chose to belittle him.:tdown:

Just because you are knowledgeable about firearms, does not mean you should make the sport unwelcoming to noobs.

I make it routine to work with noobs. They have some very silly ideas. If I hear one more glorification of Desert Eagle I may swallow my tongue. Otherwise noobs are very receptive to safety, instruction, and most importantly gun legislation.

With a dude interested in shotgun gauges, you could have mentioned gauge is nothing more than an archaic measurement of bore size. The bore is the diameter of the barrel. As applied to shotgun there are a few different bores available. A 12 gauge means 12 solid spheres of lead at that diameter will equate to one pound. 20 gauge is the same thing. There is also an inverse, 1/12 of a pound of lead sphere will fit in a 12gauge barrel.

After that the guy is putty in your hands.

I just learned something. Had no idea that was what gauge meant. Rock on! I thought it was something different. Like powder or width.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    You obviously don't know shotgun joe.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Some people are born with blue eyes, some with brown. Some are born with blond hair, some with brown.

I am an albino who lives in my mother's basement who knows all kinds of arcane facts.

I am still not a cop. I do believe the LEOs of the forum would be embarrassed to have me amongst them.

For those old enough, think "Dietrich" from "Barney Miller".

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Some people are born with blue eyes, some with brown. Some are born with blond hair, some with brown.

I am an albino who lives in my mother's basement who knows all kinds of arcane facts.

I am still not a cop. I do believe the LEOs of the forum would be embarrassed to have me amongst them.

For those old enough, think "Dietrich" from "Barney Miller".

You had hair?!?! :shocked:

Andronitis

Jul 19, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I was in a sporting goods store today to pick up my new hunting license. After that I looked over a couple of their used beater guns and while doing so, some guy walked in and said he wanted to but a shotgun to use for home defense and for skeet. The first salesman said he only knew about fishing stuff and left to get someone else. I struck up a conversation with the customer and asked, "so what kind of action type were you thinking about"? He said 12ga. I said no, not the gauge, the action, to which he asked what I meant. Oh boy, here we go.... "pump, auto, side by side, over under"? Oh, a pump for sure, but what's an over under? And so it went... might as well have been buying a space ship.

If he was a kid I would offered to take him shooting and get him pointed in the right direction, but he was a 40 something yuppy. He heard what I was saying, but he wasn't listening. I can see him shooting his Lexus.

I was happy to pass him off to the "gun salesman" who appeared to have just graduated from high school. Scary. LOL

Not everyone out there are "gun people" like ourselves. I understand you were trying to help but I really hope you didn't do so in a condescending way.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    how about i do you a solid the next time i see someone who doesnt know something about a firearms ill alert the carepolice and give them a copy of cod so they can learn all about dolphin diving with akimbo golden aks.

I must have done so well that I got to skip that stage, cause I surely don't remember that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom