• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happydude

Mar 18, 2011
    Good Day To You All,
    I have heard that it is unwise to leave magazines loaded as that can hurt the springs over time and I've also read the opposite as well. Is there a definitive answer to this? As a side note, I'm referencing a Glock 30SF, an Ithaca M37 shotgun, a Remington 870 and an AK-47. I've also read that if when you load your mags that it's best to not load to full capacity. Is that accurate or an old wives' tale? As of right now the only thing I keep fully loaded is the Ithaca but I would like to keep a pistol ready to go if the need should arise around the homestead. Please don't laugh too hard at my questions but I do want to (pardon the pun) "get the most bang for my buck" since magazines can get a bit pricey at times.

Bob

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Welcome. :wave:

Compressing a spring for a long time, i.e., keeping a magazine loaded for a good period of time, doesn't hurt it. What wears out a spring is compressing and releasing it many, many times. Eventually it will break, just as any solid material will break sooner or later. Get good magazines, keep them clean and lubed, and use and store them properly. The chances are pretty good you'll never wear one out.

fisunshine

Feb 17, 2010
    i guess a good question would be how long are you planning on keeping them loaded. if you are talking years than probably not the best option.
    if you are going to lube your mag springs watch what you use to lube them with. there are a few lubes out there that actually seem to attrack dirt and carbon which could foul up the springs and not make them reliable

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Welcome. :wave:

Compressing a spring for a long time, i.e., keeping a magazine loaded for a good period of time, doesn't hurt it. What wears out a spring is compressing and releasing it many, many times. Eventually it will break, just as any solid material will break sooner or later. Get good magazines, keep them clean and lubed, and use and store them properly. The chances are pretty good you'll never wear one out.

100%

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom