• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yes, i applied, left it blank and got my permit in 30 days.

NH SP said they would issue permits if that was left blank while they fixed the form

they did. several members here have received them

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    swinokur said:
    waiting for NH to comply with a court order to issue non resident permits to non residents without a home state permit.

PA honors NH

Brooklyn said:
    For what it's worth the form still requires a home state permit..

Have you been able to get around that ?

NH SP said they would issue permits if that was left blank while they fixed the form

Man, I have to go to the surrounding states' subforums more often...

What I'm gathering from this exchange is that: 1) PA still honors the NH non-res permit (which until recently was impossible for most Marylanders to acquire), and 2) NH no longer is requiring that you have a permit from your home state so it is realistic to get a NH permit...(I knew the 1st, didn't know the 2nd)

Darn...One of the main reasons I got my UT permit was because I spend a lot of time in PA (also VA). Then, a year or two later, I couldn't carry in PA anymore due to the current AG. If there is a somewhat reasonable to get CCW that will let me carry in PA again, that's terrific. There have been several trips (including two vacations) in the past year that in the end I chose VA, WV, and DE instead of PA partly because I could carry in those states (and for one of the vacations, carry was the deciding factor that put VA over PA).

Of course, this news comes as I am starting to shop houses in York. I've long wanted to move to NOVA to get away from MD gun laws and still be a reasonable distance from places locally that I wanted to be near (including friends and family). As a teacher, prices have kept me away. Well, York is only a 1-1.5 hr drive (depending upon traffic) from work and I can buy a single family house there for what I would have to pay for a 2BR condo here in Central MD. So, a reasonable commute, close (enough) to friends and family, and a shall-issue state with reasonable housing prices. I've made up my mind, I've been scouting neighborhoods, and I plan to contact a realtor in Dec (my lease is up in June so I want to be in the new place by late April to mid May).

So, how long is the process for a NH non-res permit? I'll be spending a lot of time in York over the next few months while shopping, but before I move there and can get a PA LTCF. Then again, if in less than a year I'll be able to get a PA resident's permit, is it worth it to do the NH now?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    .....So, how long is the process for a NH non-res permit? I'll be spending a lot of time in York over the next few months while shopping, but before I move there and can get a PA LTCF. Then again, if in less than a year I'll be able to get a PA resident's permit, is it worth it to do the NH now?
    New Hamshire has been running a bit over a month lately

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4534032&postcount=536

Yes to the bolded.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    So, from what I can find online, do I have this right...

No fingerprints

No training requirements (though I can probably find the certificate from my UT class if I need to)

A month or so to get the permit

$100 fee

The $100 is a little steep, but with no fees for training classes, isn't too out of line. I just need to decide if the $100 is worth it to buy me a few months of carry (though, in the next few months, with house hunting and scouting out the area, I'll be able to use that more than I've used my UT permit to carry in the 4 1/2 years I've had it, so it probably is).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Unless you have a friend doing fingerprints, photo, and the class for free, Utah will cost you at least $97.

Most classes are between $50 and $100. Their permit is $47 itself.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I probably paid about $100 for my UT training class (I don't remember how much anymore). I know $100 isn't bad when it represents the entire process. I'm just thinking that since by summer at the latest (and maybe by mid to late spring) I should be living in PA and able to get a PA resident permit, it is a lot for only a few months of carry. On the other hand, with the amount of time I'll be up there over the next few months, it will be a lot of carry hours, and probably close to the number of hours I've spent carrying on my UT permit over the past 4 1/2 years (OK, that is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but it would get a lot of use in the short time period I'd actually need it).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or if you're that concerned over the $ , just OC while you're in Pa. ( Excluding within Phila city limits.)

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Howdy sw. As of today, NH is still using the old (8/13) form.

Just making sure, it's the "Resident State License No." field that should be left blank on this form, correct?

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    swinokur said:
    waiting for NH to comply with a court order to issue non resident permits to non residents without a home state permit.

PA honors NH

I don't follow NH as much as I should. I just got to thinking about this...

What was the specific issue that the court overturned that part of the law over, and was it a state or federal judge? I'm thinking, can this be used as precedent for someone to sue PA over the same provision in their LTCF laws?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no what the court overturned was an administrative rule not contained in the law. They ruled the state did not have the authority to add a requirement that the statute did not require

kinda like the MSP adding live fire to the HQL requirement when the statute did not require it.

It was the NH Supreme Court, not a Federal court

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160602/NEWS21/160609812&source=RSS

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    no what the court overturned was an administrative rule not contained in the law. They ruled the state did not have the authority to add a requirement that the statute did not require

kinda like the MSP adding live fire to the HQL requirement when the statute did not require it.

It was the NH Supreme Court, not a Federal court

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160602/NEWS21/160609812&source=RSS

That's too bad. Well, I'll probably be getting the NH CCW soon so that should cover me (and no court challenge would have been completed before I move this spring/summer anyway). It is good to know that MD residents without the vaporware MD permit have options for PA carry now: NH or travel to TX to do the TX non-resident in person.

Edit:
    It does look like there are quite a few states' permits that PA honors and doesn't limit it to resident permits only. I just checked a couple and it does look like IN requires that you go in person (maybe not for training, but you apply in person at a local sheriff's office), Missouri is limited in what non-resident permits they'll issue (military only), it looks like Iowa issues non-res permits without local training (you do need training) but you need to apply at a sheriff's office).

Well, here is the list of state's PA honors: http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/concealed-carry/reciprocity/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom