• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    According to NATE IIRC if a copycat is not possessed before 10-1, then it's illegal to possess it after 10-1. I think that's what he postulated. Point being the lower isn't a copycat before 10-1. I believe putting a 7.5 inch upper on the lower after 10-1 would be prohibited.

IANAL.

What if it was built as an M4 replica before then?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    What if it was built as an M4 replica before then?

If you possessed an Assault Long Gun prior to 10/1/2013, you may continue to possess it. If you possessed a Copycat Weapon prior to 10/1/2013 you may continue to possess it. It is open whether an ALG possessed prior to 10/1 means you can possess a Copycat post 10/1. I would tend to advise against it. I would see no issues (readily) with turning one type of Copycat into another type of copycat (IE. take one that fails the features test and SBR it to under 29" in OAL.)

The issue arises more, in my mind, with AKs and their variants. A pre 10/1 AK receiver was not an ALG. Can you build it into a rifle now that is an ALG? Again, relatively unanswered, but I would tend to think that it is not legal to do so. I see no differentiation between pre and post 10/1 lowers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nate, my questions (and others) was if you had a pre-Oct AR that was an SBR with a 10.5" barrel (about 29.5" long). Could you put a 7.5" barrel on it (<29") now?

I believe that a post-Oct AR that is SBR at >29" has to stay >29" as long as an MD resident or in MD.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    honestly, the only thing I'd go with a much shorter barrel on would be a 9mm, and I'm happy to wait until I get out of MD to do that with anything.

only other SBR i wanna do is a MK18, which would be (according to wikipedia) over 29" OAL, so no big deal there. i'd probably pin the SF suppressor mount (brake) just to be sure, but yeah.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I would see no issues (readily) with turning one type of Copycat into another type of copycat (IE. take one that fails the features test and SBR it to under 29" in OAL.)

Nate, my questions (and others) was if you had a pre-Oct AR that was an SBR with a 10.5" barrel (about 29.5" long). Could you put a 7.5" barrel on it (<29") now?

I believe that a post-Oct AR that is SBR at >29" has to stay >29" as long as an MD resident or in MD.

I think that is your answer!

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I had it in my head that a pre 10/1 PO was sufficient to prove possession. Guess I was wrong. Will be interesting to hear back from MSP. Who told Edwards he could take another vacation? My FFL sounded thrilled at the prospect of doing a Form 5 to get my SBR on the roster..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But what if it wasn't a copycat before 10-1? > 29" OAL and one evil feature? You cannot turn it into a copy cat after 10_1 can you?

And before 10-1 copy cat's didn't even exit in the law.. I guess what you mean is a rifle 10-1 that would now be defined as a copycat?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    honestly, the only thing I'd go with a much shorter barrel on would be a 9mm, and I'm happy to wait until I get out of MD to do that with anything.

only other SBR i wanna do is a MK18, which would be (according to wikipedia) over 29" OAL, so no big deal there. i'd probably pin the SF suppressor mount (brake) just to be sure, but yeah.

Just put a DD MK 18 on an Engage Lower.

OAL 29.5

andrewb

Jun 20, 2013
    Another question is whether SBRing a weapon currently considered to be a copycat but already legally owned. For example, would it be legal to convert a pre-10/1 PS90 (under 29") to an SBR (still under 29").

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Quick question, assuming MD now considers an SBR a rifle and a pistol (I might be wrong) Do handgun transport rules apply for all SBR's now? Again I might be wrong and this has always been the case with SBR's, trying to learn here.:o

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes, if you transport your SBR, it is considered a handgun and therefore subject to the restrictions in MD Statute 4-203.

some salient highlights:

1.. Limited destinations (gun shop range, etc.)
    2. Unloaded in a enclosed case or holster.
    3. If traveling Interstate, unloaded, locked in trunk (FOPA). If no trunk, gun or ammo locked ina case

IANAL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    don't understand your post. The Enagage lower is on the handgun roster as a pistol. According to the handgun roster board, it it's on there a a pistol, it's ok as an SBR too.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    don't understand your post. The Enagage lower is on the handgun roster as a pistol. According to the handgun roster board, it it's on there a a pistol, it's ok as an SBR too.

Show me a photo of an issued MK18 with a billet lower and I'll do just that. It's. Not. Clone. Correct. nor is the DD upper.

not really sure what you don't understand.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Well the lower is the firearm, and it's on the roster. 77r came back ND.

what else do I say?

You'd do well to start by learning what the mk18 is, and what "clone" means. Then you'll understand why a billet receiver is not appropriate....nor is the DD upper.

Hint: the MK18 isn't what daniel defense thinks it is. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom