• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Using a Trust on SBR/SBS Form 4's from here out I don't think will be ok anymore. If there is an approved Form 4's and the Trustee does a 77r on a NFA Approved Form 4 the would mean the "Trust" never took possession of the NFA device, an individual did. This isn't ok. Not at all.
    Wouldn't this have been a problem before 10/1? Besides, if the MSP don't recognize trusts, I can totally transfer it to one. The MSP would still regard it as mine, and the Feds would regard it as the trust's. As long as I remain in the trust, there's no problem. I agree that "trusts with friends" are more of a problem post-10/1.

Whatever... my lawyer talked to the MSP about it. If he thinks I'm good, I'm not going to waste time debating it with non-lawyers.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I would just buy a 16" carbine HBAR and form 1 it. ONce the Form 1 is approved whack the barrel and if needed open the gas port. The OAL will be over 29" and it will only have 1 "evil" feature. SO its still an HBAR, not a copycat and not a banned ALG because its an HBAR

Have a form 1 pending on a post 10/1 Colt HBAR... About 40-50 days in. I would prefer to not chop the barrel so I can use it on another build... Where can I find the barrel requirements to be legal? I can't remember if it was .750 or what.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So who wants to lead the fight against section III? Eliminating that section should allow SBRs to be <29", I would think.

I think the basic argument would be that if it's a handgun it can't be a copycat of an ALG.

The easiest legislative fix would be to eliminate the line that makes SBRs and SBSs into handguns.

A bonus would be to slap in a line that says "handguns can never be assault long guns or copycat weapons".

Anyone want to explain to me why none of our friendly legislators even took a stab at amending SB281? None of this was a surprise to anyone, really.

Good luck.

The Grabber Legislators rejected nearly every amendment proposed by Pro2A delegates and senators lat year.

This year, they just chose to throw all of the firearm legislation overboard. In a way, we should be glad, there were a few doozies proposed.

When they didn't even vote on the shell casing bill this year in light of all the revelations surrounding the defunct program... They basically told the firearms community they really don't care what walls they erect to ownership, even if they don't live up to their end of the bargain.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Agreed. Anything with a barrel shorter than 16" is now subject to all the stuff handguns are subject ot in addition to NFA B.S.

Then you have to make sure its not a banned copycat.

Unless it was a form 1 correct? Then it is subject *only* to copycat, ALG/copy, NFA and OAL?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unless it was a form 1 correct? Then it is subject *only* to copycat, ALG/copy, NFA and OAL?

Correct. Basically that letter caused a bunch of crap for MD dealers who sell Title 2 devices on a Form 4. They are all treated like handguns except suppressors as I read it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They should post signs at the state lines. "Welcome to Maryland, where we f*^k law abiding citizens every chance we get!"

They seem to want to classify SBR as handguns and rifles depending on what part of the law they are trying to screw with. They simply can't have it both ways, but even with court cases this will take a long time to get settled. So much for my SBR plans.....

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They should post signs at the state lines. "Welcome to Maryland, where we f*^k law abiding citizens every chance we get!"

They seem to want to classify SBR as handguns and rifles depending on what part of the law they are trying to screw with. They simply can't have it both ways, but even with court cases this will take a long time to get settled. So much for my SBR plans.....

You can still do a SBR, but HOW you do it dictates on how much of a pain in the arse it is.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Form 4 Mossberg 500. Im glad I didn't. Now ill just Form 1 a fullsize and chop it once its approved. This means I cant sell it to another MD resident though because its not on the roster.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I did, but I was confused because it seems that <26" is only discussed regarding folding stocks. I'm sure I'm just missing something.
    Simple answer is, no, you can't make an AR < 29" with a post-10/1 lower of any kind. I am in exactly the same boat as you - I have a post-10/1 DDLES lower that I am planning on SBR'ing.

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    Simple answer is, no, you can't make an AR < 29" with a post-10/1 lower of any kind. I am in exactly the same boat as you - I have a post-10/1 DDLES lower that I am planning on SBR'ing.

Thanks for the simple clarification. Sucks as I bought my CMMG to SBR and even bought a 9mm suppressor today. The good news is that I'm in possession of a few pre-ban multi-cal lowers so I would assume I can still Form 1 one of them down to <26".

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

How did you get a lower post 10/1? Did it come from a hbar?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Here is a dumb question, what about adding stocks to handguns? Must they be on the roster?

Certainly ATF allows that to happen with a stamp.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Here is a dumb question, what about adding stocks to handguns? Must they be on the roster?

Certainly ATF allows that to happen with a stamp.

You would form 1 that and no it does not need to be on the roster assuming you already own the gun NOW. The OAL needs to be 29" though so most pistols are too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom