• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    FYI... new rule going into place for the public ranges at Elk Neck. As of today, .50BMG is no longer allowed. This is per the forest ranger, Shawn Day, to the range safety officers.

(No, I don't know the back story.)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I remember a guy shooting one a few years back.....cleared tables on both sides. It really was waaaay too much for that range.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Probably related to this guy:

7629984832_c54c48b422.jpg

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    A fellow brought one out when I was pulling RSO duty 2 weeks ago. He was there early so didn't annoy anybody with the blast from his muzzle break, but if it had been during a busy period, he would have made shooting impossible for the benches to either side. Not his fault, just the way it is with a massive round like that. Dunno if he's a member here on MDS but he seemed like a good guy, sadly had to stop after a few rounds when the bolt handle snapped off. As I recall, he was shooting reloads testing for the right recipe.

As with any rule, I'm sure there were a few incidents that provoked it... it's always a few that ruin it for everybody else. We used to have trash cans and a picnic table before they ended up downrange... some moron even shot up the bathroom a few months back. We're really lucky that the range is still open. So few public ranges available, people will drive over an hour just to go there.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    Anyone know if Elk Neck stays open after weather moves out? More snow is due Saturday but I was hoping to get out Sunday.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    What is that?
    Looks like a SBR Mosin, guessing from the magazine shape.

Anyone know if Elk Neck stays open after weather moves out? More snow is due Saturday but I was hoping to get out Sunday.

Might be best to watch the DNR facebook, they often post closing notices. https://www.facebook.com/AccessDNR I'll post up in the Eastern Shore forum here if I get a closed notice. If we get any real accumulation, I think it'll stay closed over the weekend... the hill will be murder if it's iced over.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I really wanted to hit the range tomorrow... the 7 inches of snow and now sleet seem to indicate I am sol.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    This was probably one of those attempts to regulate the people. Since the antis couldn't ban 50BMG rifles and ammo they want to ban the places you can use them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom