• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am going to VA beach next month for V. Day with my wife. I understand that That area is not the nicest to be, so I want to carry my pistol.I have MD, Fla and Utah permits.
    My wife isnt a big fan and said there isnt many places I could actually carry it. I think she is thinking the entire area is one large military base and under federal land control. My question is how common is the no gun signs? Would there be any issue with me having my pistol in the hotel room? What about the board walk along the beach?

This is follow up question to my first tread

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You’ll likely get your question answered here on MDS, in spades but fwiw, we registered with and relied heavily upon the VCDL for recon when we were considering escaping to the I-81 corridor of SW VA instead of Western Carolina:

You have that 100%
    I have looked at the VA state site, I can not determine if they consider the boardwalk as a park and off limits. I have seen that several county’s where one can not carry in county parks.

i don’t want to get down there and find out I can not carry my pistol any place we want to go.

We want to go to Geno pizza, the malls, the boardwalk And beach weather permitting. if open maybe waterman’s restaurant of corse bass pro shop, (she doesn’t know this stop yet). That is why I am asking about how common is the no gun signs are.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Can't help you with your question rickyp, but I will simply not go to a "not nice" are unless I absolutely must. Hell, I drive 15+ miles to the Columbia Costco rather than 2+ miles to the one in Wheaton. I hope you have a nice, safe time with the Mrs.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Can't help you with your question rickyp, but I will simply not go to a "not nice" are unless I absolutely must. Hell, I drive 15+ miles to the Columbia Costco rather than 2+ miles to the one in Wheaton. I hope you have a nice, safe time with the Mrs.
    The issue is it is a beach, from my understanding the beach its self isnt that bad but once you get out of the beach it is not a great place.

vanquish1

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2022
    Howard County
    We were just down there a few weeks ago on a weekday and the place was a ghost town. I did not notice any signs but was not looking either.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    The issue is it is a beach, from my understanding the beach its self isnt that bad but once you get out of the beach it is not a great place.
    Being a former SEVA resident with Relatives at the beach....it's not that bad....i'd walk around the touristy areas not carrying all the time
    There are bad parts, yes, but their bad parts are nothing compared to Baltimore or SEDC. Don't believe the hype...once you get away from the beach it's 75% Military anyway

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Is the malls off limits? We plain on visiting the mall Friday when we get in then go to Olive Garden for dinner. Saturday if nice we want to walk around the board walk beach and shops then have lunch at Gino’s pizza.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I can't answer specific to VA Beach but the Rest Areas are posted. I drove down to GA and back last weekend and this was the only place I took my pistol off.

Attachments

• 20230116_081738.jpg
      20230116_081738.jpg
      281.4 KB · Views: 86

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    We’ve been there regularly in the offseason.

I don’t recall seeing such a sign anywhere.

We’d walk down to the fishing pier in the middle of the day, else, remain north of Neptune.

If I didn’t mention Bobo’s chicken last time, I’ll do so now/again! :bannana:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Va Beach area is made up of multi separate metropolitan areas ... You would be subject to laws of each metro area !

Actually no .
    Virginia Beach is actually a unified Independent City , taking up the entirety of the former County .

Now if you meant the entire Hampton Roads region , yes there are Norfolk , Newport News , Suffolk , etc , but they aren't near the beach or tourist areas .

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I can't answer specific to VA Beach but the Rest Areas are posted. I drove down to GA and back last weekend and this was the only place I took my pistol off.
    That’s why God invented McDonalds. They all have bathrooms......

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    AFAIK signs don’t carry the force of law in VA.
    I wouldn’t worry about it if that’s the case.
    Things like county property/parks may be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I am going to VA beach next month for V. Day with my wife. I understand that That area is not the nicest to be, so I want to carry my pistol.I have MD, Fla and Utah permits.
    My wife isnt a big fan and said there isnt many places I could actually carry it. I think she is thinking the entire area is one large military base and under federal land control. My question is how common is the no gun signs? Would there be any issue with me having my pistol in the hotel room? What about the board walk along the beach?

This is follow up question to my first tread
    Fort Story - I don't think this is an active base anymore.
    Little Creek
    Oceana NAS
    Camp Pendleton - Va State Military Reservation
    Damneck

Then when you get to Norfolk and parts north and west it gets thick again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom