• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    C&R rifle or NJ legal AR variant is perfectly legal for me to buy in any state if a FFL01 in that state transfers it to me. I can then bring it back to NJ unloaded.

Problem seems to be Maryland adjacent state law. Can anyone link the most recent wording of the law. I read somewhere that it only applied to regulated rifles. However I don't know definition of regulated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You're probably familiar with this from NJ, but the MDSP also has "policies" that affect weapons transfers in addition to the actual laws. These poorly written documents are "interpreted" by the troopers ruling on transfers, and are complete Greek to the average working trooper/LEO and the general public. Even if the law is clear, the arbitrary and capricious "interpretations" of the MDSP "policies" are what will get you into trouble. That's a big reason why adjacent FFL01s hesitate to transfer into MD or sell to MD residents. And I can't say I blame them.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    You're probably familiar with this from NJ, but the MDSP also has "policies" that affect weapons transfers in addition to the actual laws. These poorly written documents are "interpreted" by the troopers ruling on transfers, and are complete Greek to the average working trooper/LEO and the general public. Even if the law is clear, the arbitrary and capricious "interpretations" of the MDSP "policies" are what will get you into trouble. That's a big reason why adjacent FFL01s hesitate to transfer into MD or sell to MD residents. And I can't say I blame them.

Yes the laws are written to trip up law abiding gun owners and to turn them into felons.

Thank you all for the advice. As others have said the laws are so confusing it's tough to know what is legal and what is not. Similar to FFL03 in NJ.

Good news is My FFL01 has agreed to make the trip with me if we can get there and back by noon. Just need to make sure the person I am picking them up from will be at the show early to setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's a Maryland thing . Md still has on the books rifles and shotguns may be purchases by residents of * adjoining * states .

Under Federal law , such purchases may be made in any state ( if legal in the state physically located , AND buyer's state .) That why we can make far flung FFL purchases, but only Va, WV, Pa, and DE residents can do so here.

There is a Bill currently to change this , to bring Md into complience with Federal law .

Well that’s a load of stupid. I don’t dispute it at all, but still stupid. Hopefully it gets changed this session.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I spoke to a dealer down there today and they said the adjoining state thing only applies to regulated firearms which C&R Bolt Action are not.

However my FFL is riding down with me to pick them up just to be safe.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    The adjacent state language in md law is from when federal law did not allow for purchase outside of ones home state. Many states passed similar laws so that businesses could benefit from adjacent state buyers. The law is now pointless since federal law allows for long gun purchase from any state.

Hard to believe, but there was once a time that md tried to make it easier to purchase a gun

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    The adjacent state language in md law is from when federal law did not allow for purchase outside of ones home state. Many states passed similar laws so that businesses could benefit from adjacent state buyers. The law is now pointless since federal law allows for long gun purchase from any state.

Hard to believe, but there was once a time that md tried to make it easier to purchase a gun
    That makes sense.

It is amazing Maryland I always thought of as a Southern State. Now Maryland is firmly entrenched with the Commie Northeast along with NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, Delaware (though better than the others), soon to be Vermont, PA and NH are not far behind. Even Virginia is at risk.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Federal law states you have to follow your own state laws when purchasing out of state, and puts the onus on both the seller and buyer to do this. For the same reason an Illinois resident cannot go to Indiana and buy a gun without an FOID card, you unfortunately cannot use the C&R license in or out of state if a NJ resident. About the only thing it is good for there is the discounts.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    NJ Resident Buying C&R Bolt Action Rifles in Maryland

Federal law states you have to follow your own state laws when purchasing out of state, and puts the onus on both the seller and buyer to do this. For the same reason an Illinois resident cannot go to Indiana and buy a gun without an FOID card, you unfortunately cannot use the C&R license in or out of state if a NJ resident. About the only thing it is good for there is the discounts.

That is not my understanding when it comes to longguns. For handguns it is undecided. Obviously I am referring to C&R firearms that are NJ legal. NJ does not forbid C&R Purchases out of state and does recognize C&R license in One Gun of Month language.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    That is not my understanding when it comes to longguns. For handguns it is undecided. Obviously I am referring to C&R firearms that are NJ legal. NJ does not forbid C&R Purchases out of state and does recognize C&R license in One Gun of Month language.

Okay well you would know NJ law better than I. All I can say is NJ has to allow C&R purchases out of state for that to be the case. It is a federal 922 violation to go out of one's state and not follow their own state's laws for acquisition.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    NJ Resident Buying C&R Bolt Action Rifles in Maryland

Okay well you would know NJ law better than I. All I can say is NJ has to allow C&R purchases out of state for that to be the case. It is a federal 922 violation to go out of one's state and not follow their own state's laws for acquisition.

That is why the handgun is questionable because in NJ between NJ Residents a Permit to Purchase is needed for person to person, no FFL needed no NICS. However a long gun all that is necessary for a person to person face to face transaction is the Buyer has a FPID and COA is filled out. Seller does not need a FPID. COA is not filed and it is not even required to keep a record of. Obviously no FFL and No NICS needed. The AG under Christie is the one who stopped CMP from shipping to NJ residents direct because of the stupid COA that has to be filled out in person but can then be thrown in the trash. We can drive to CMP Stores and pick up a Garand and bring it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom