• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Watching thread. I would love to carry while in jersey
    I'll keep updating the thread.

On January 7th 2022 the NJ Legislature passed a new law which mandates a class for the FID. The "new" FIDs will expire every 10 years like the Maryland HQL.

If you get a FID now you wont need the class and may get a FID that does not expire.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So where can you get the prints done? Do you HAVE to go to NJ for them?
    No need to go to NJ for prints. Identgo is the authorized provider for NJ. They have places all over the country.

You will however pay $39 more to have the prints taken at a location outside of NJ.

I just booked my prints for Identgo in Westgorve PA, which is 14 miles away.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No need to go to NJ for prints. Identgo is the authorized provider for NJ. They have places all over the country.

You will however pay $39 more to have the prints taken at a location outside of NJ.

I just booked my prints for Identgo in Westgorve PA, which is 14 miles away.
    Okay, thanks. Does the application have to be in person? Or am I also okay that the application can be mailed in?

The permit should be free or $5. But since it isn’t, $39 extra to not have to do 4 hours of round trip driving, especially with current gas prices, is money well spent (again, ignoring that we shouldn’t have to do this crap).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Unless the law changed (and I didn't catch where the new law just signed had anything to do with carry permits), you don't need the FOID to get the carry permit as an out of state resident.
    I didn't when I applied but that was 2010 I believe.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Depends WHY you were denied. Being denied under the old "good cause" or "justifiable need" isn't grounds for revocation.
    The why can be very subjective depending on who you are dealing with. I don't want to have to deal with it, and having to answer "why" when applying for other licenses. I have a FFL for my business and permits from 10 states.

I cant get clear answers from the NJSP about the FID and Training so I am listening to Trainers that have been offering training to security agencies in NJ for decades that deal with the NJSP and gun licensing.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Thanks for civilly answering my question.
    Perhaps if you started off with civility, clandestine would respond in kind.

The why can be very subjective depending on who you are dealing with. I don't want to have to deal with it, and having to answer "why" when applying for other licenses. I have a FFL for my business and permits from 10 states.

I cant get clear answers from the NJSP about the FID and Training so I am listening to Trainers that have been offering training to security agencies in NJ for decades that deal with the NJSP and gun licensing.
    :thumbsup:

Jared

Jul 7, 2022
    MI
    Nothing in NJ statute requires you have an FID before getting a NJ Handgun Permit.

If you want an FID, they are issued electronically now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The carry application can be downloaded and filled out, but it has to be dropped off in person at the NJSP barracks closest to you to. You need an appointment to drop off, you can't just show up. When you drop off they give you the info to get your prints.

Based on what I'm being told I need to get a FID Card before applying for the carry permit. That's also online, but I believe I need to go pick it up in person once completed. I may also have to take a class before they grant it.

Here is how I plan to do this:
    -Apply for FID Online (Done)
    -Schedule Prints for FID (Done)
    -Get Livescan Prints for FID (This Friday)
    -2 References need to fill out email questionnaire for FID (Done)
    -FID Training (Unknown)
    -Wait 45+ days for the NJSP to call me to pickup the FID (In Process)
    -Take Training Live Fire Qualification for Carry Permit (Not Done)
    -When the NJSP to contact me to pickup the FID, I'll schedule an appointment to drop off my application so it's only one trip. I'll add my FID to the App and submit it. (Not Done)
    -See if I need a second set of prints taken for the Carry Permit they will give me the ORI and Service Code to go back to Identgo (Unknown)
    What Antco said. Thank you for all of the information! Hopefully it works out smoothly and well for you.

Unfortunately, it sounds like NJ might just be too difficult for me to get a carry permit for unless or until some day it turns out I must carry there. My instructor is getting NY and NJ certification to teach later this week and next. So in theory my training and live fire qualification for day 2 when he is back probably will cover me for NJ.

But I am far enough I am not sure I can manage two ~4hr round trips to the closest barracks. One would be bad enough. And of course there is that piece of if I need a FID before I could even take the training. Or needing to fingerprint twice. Etc.

At least for now, the juice is only worth the squeeze for me if my MD can be considered NJ training and qualification also. I might be able to squeeze a visit to drop off the application or pick one up, or whatever. Also worried not it ends up being go in person to pickup FID, go in person to drop off carry application after FID granted (and possibly a separate trip), possibly go and pickup carry permit? So possibly as bad as 3 trips to New Jersey, maybe two sets of prints, possibility they aren't going to be willing to count any of my training if things aren't done in order, and also possibly needing new training for FID too.

I hope like heck it isn't really that horrible. It is New Jersey, so I expect the worst. I hope it is not nearly that bad. I know you are a lot closer to NJ than I am, but also for your sakes I hope it is a much simpler and easier process.

For me, I may just need to rely on FOPA and a good lawyer on speed dial if I ever need to drive through NJ or NY to go to points north (like Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine) and need to take a firearm with me. Hopefully SCOTUS/courts sort their crap out. I recognize if you are a NJ resident, all of those hoops will be a lot easier to do. But they are still MAJOR hoops even for a resident or someone who lives close by. For those who live far away, even if they need to travel to NJ with some manner of frequency, they are back to almost effectively no issue if you are really talking 3 visits, especially if there is a time frame in which everything has to be done. Only those with lots of means and a fair amount of spare time would be able to satisfy all requirements of NJ.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What Antco said. Thank you for all of the information! Hopefully it works out smoothly and well for you.

Unfortunately, it sounds like NJ might just be too difficult for me to get a carry permit for unless or until some day it turns out I must carry there. My instructor is getting NY and NJ certification to teach later this week and next. So in theory my training and live fire qualification for day 2 when he is back probably will cover me for NJ.

But I am far enough I am not sure I can manage two ~4hr round trips to the closest barracks. One would be bad enough. And of course there is that piece of if I need a FID before I could even take the training. Or needing to fingerprint twice. Etc.

At least for now, the juice is only worth the squeeze for me if my MD can be considered NJ training and qualification also. I might be able to squeeze a visit to drop off the application or pick one up, or whatever. Also worried not it ends up being go in person to pickup FID, go in person to drop off carry application after FID granted (and possibly a separate trip), possibly go and pickup carry permit? So possibly as bad as 3 trips to New Jersey, maybe two sets of prints, possibility they aren't going to be willing to count any of my training if things aren't done in order, and also possibly needing new training for FID too.

I hope like heck it isn't really that horrible. It is New Jersey, so I expect the worst. I hope it is not nearly that bad. I know you are a lot closer to NJ than I am, but also for your sakes I hope it is a much simpler and easier process.

For me, I may just need to rely on FOPA and a good lawyer on speed dial if I ever need to drive through NJ or NY to go to points north (like Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine) and need to take a firearm with me. Hopefully SCOTUS/courts sort their crap out. I recognize if you are a NJ resident, all of those hoops will be a lot easier to do. But they are still MAJOR hoops even for a resident or someone who lives close by. For those who live far away, even if they need to travel to NJ with some manner of frequency, they are back to almost effectively no issue if you are really talking 3 visits, especially if there is a time frame in which everything has to be done. Only those with lots of means and a fair amount of spare time would be able to satisfy all requirements of NJ.
    I completely understand your position. These hurdles are not something we should have to do.

If your instructor certifies you for NJ you will have to list the firearm used on the qual sheet. I believe the quals are slightly different between NJ and MD so you may need to do separate quals (depends on the instructor). I have also read the quals for NJ are only good for 6 months for a NJ carry Permit Application.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nothing in NJ statute requires you have an FID before getting a NJ Handgun Permit.

If you want an FID, they are issued electronically now.
    You are most certainly right, but I'm dealing with this in person. Statutes can say one thing, and the people and agencies may do different. I'm passing on what I'm being told by the NJSP and Trainers who teach the NJ quals.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I completely understand your position. These hurdles are not something we should have to do.

If your instructor certifies you for NJ you will have to list the firearm used on the qual sheet. I believe the quals are slightly different between NJ and MD so you may need to do separate quals (depends on the instructor). I have also read the quals for NJ are only good for 6 months for a NJ carry Permit Application.
    Yup. My trainer just said MSP had told them before sim guns were not allowed, but then turned around and certified and classified sim guns as firearms recently...

Though at least looking at what you posted, the qualification looks like it just requires demonstrating safe handling with your own firearm. So I am taking my G19 back to day 2/qualification with me so I can demonstrate safe handling.

Jared

Jul 7, 2022
    MI
    You are most certainly right, but I'm dealing with this in person. Statutes can say one thing, and the people and agencies may do different. I'm passing on what I'm being told by the NJSP and Trainers who teach the NJ quals.
    The NJSP had an email correcting lots of misinformation.

Qualifying with each handgun was corrected. Only the retired officer firearms permit (RPO) which is issued annually by the State Police requires semi-annual qualification with each handgun.

The peasant permit (NJ Handgun Permit) only requires qualifying with 1 handgun owned by the applicant.

I’m guessing lots of trainers and PDs were just assuming the RPO requirements applied to peasant permits which is likely a reason for the NJSP emailing them to tell them to knock it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom