• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shoreshot

Mar 4, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I cant imagine being hit by a broadhead. Thats a whole other kinda hurt right there.
    When in doubt I wear an orange hat when on the ground, also a green or red light at dusk and dawn when its dark. Better be safe than shanked.
    Be safe out there!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Vertical or crossbow, doesn't matter. To counter your argument: crossbows normally have scopes.

No matter how you dare to slice it, it was a blatant violation of the safety rules:
    "Be sure of your target and beyond"

This. I have hunted with a rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound bow and as soon as crossbows became legal I went and bought one. Once, while I was out hunting during firearms season with my slug gun, I saw a bush moving in the distance. Thinking it was a deer eating on the bush, or pushing on it, i brought the gun up, with a live round in it, to get a better look through the scope. I stared at this bush for at least 5 minutes to try and figure out what the heck was going on. Finally, saw the orange nocks on the guys arrows and figured out it was a moronic bowhunter with a ghillie suit on that was hunting the property without permission, during firearm season without any blaze orange on him other than the nocks on his arrows.

Went out and bought myself a set of binoculars after that because having a loaded firearm pointed at somebody, even though my finger was nowhere near the trigger, scared the crap out of me.

The other argument with crossbow versus compound is that the range on a crossbow really isn't that much more than a compound bow IF you have been practicing enough to make a 50 yard shot with a compound. The real difference between the two is 1) not much movement required to get a crossbow in the ready position, 2) no need to worry about how long that deer is going to stare at you while you are at full draw, and 3) the crossbow doesn't take nearly as much off season practice as a bow in order to be pretty confident with it.

If a bowhunter or crossbow hunter kills another hunter, it is either because he felt like killing a human being that day or he just did not take the time to make sure he saw a deer before letting an arrow or bolt fly.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    deliverance.jpg

Happened in Georgia too.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Vertical or crossbow, doesn't matter. To counter your argument: crossbows normally have scopes.

I personally think and what I have seen in the past couple years that crossbows have been allowed is that Xbow hunters are Elmer fudds. Were I hunt at the only guys that got Xbows are the same ones that use a 12 ga semi auto and when they see brown they empty the gun at it. Then they find one tiny spot of blood or some white hair, look around for ten mins and say they must have just grazed it, or that they dont want to stomp all over and chase the deer out of their area. Plus these are the sane guys that take head/neck shots and we only find part of the deers jaw or face. Now put a Xbow in these same guys hands with a scope on it and they think that if they can see it in their scope then they can hit it out to 80-90 yards. They can't wait for a deer to get to within 20 yards but instead if the deer is out at 70 yards they will take the shot cause if they don't then somebody else will shoot that deer, so they have too. This is the kind of Xbow hunter I deal with and some of the reason I don't like them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I personally think and what I have seen in the past couple years that crossbows have been allowed is that Xbow hunters are Elmer fudds. Were I hunt at the only guys that got Xbows are the same ones that use a 12 ga semi auto and when they see brown they empty the gun at it. Then they find one tiny spot of blood or some white hair, look around for ten mins and say they must have just grazed it, or that they dont want to stomp all over and chase the deer out of their area. Plus these are the sane guys that take head/neck shots and we only find part of the deers jaw or face. Now put a Xbow in these same guys hands with a scope on it and they think that if they can see it in their scope then they can hit it out to 80-90 yards. They can't wait for a deer to get to within 20 yards but instead if the deer is out at 70 yards they will take the shot cause if they don't then somebody else will shoot that deer, so they have too. This is the kind of Xbow hunter I deal with and some of the reason I don't like them.

That is the kind of hunter that you deal with, not crossbow hunter. Same guy that will take a 500 yard rifle shot at a deer even though he doesn't have close to the ability to make the shot. Same guy that will take a 40 yard bow shot at a deer even though he has not practiced all off season. Same guy that will sky bust waterfowl instead of waiting for them to work the decoys and come in, or simply just letting them pass instead of wounding them up high at 70+ yards. It isn't about the "crossbow", but about the hunter. Hunters like that give the rest of us a bad name. Luckily for me, I have only come across a couple people like that in my lifetime.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

To stereotype and blast an entire group of people based upon a few is not helpful. Yes, there are idiots with crossbows; there are also some with bows.

If you start to divide the community it will be used against us down the road somewhere.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    IH8 people who H8 crossbow hunters. :)

This guy was a tool that didn't know how to use his tool.

The only difference between a bow and a crossbow is about 150 fps. And they're better because they are scoped and aid in dropping the deer more efficiently.

This is like saying some guy sitting on a ridge with a .308 150 yards away from a deer isn't hunting. It's target shooting.

Just my personal opinion, but hunting should be up close and personal. Where if you make any mistake at all and the deer hears or sees you, Bambi be gone.
    :thumbsup:

so what you are saying its the idiot behind the weapon...not the weapon..

sounds like you have a bias against xbows

I saw one incident in the news quite a few years ago, guy shot his buddy in the back of the head with a bow and blinded him...lucky he didnt kill him...we'll see what comes out of this story...could be a tragic accident or could be foul play...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt earlier and chalk what you had to say up to personal opinion.

Not now.

Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about and are speaking via the feelings in your tummy with zero regard for facts.

Stop lumping us into the same group as those hunters who are unethical and those who can't control their emotions and shoot their wad too early.

Every year it's the same thing on this forum. Holier than thou hunters coming on here busting balls and calling names.

Give it a rest already.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I think the guy who shot his friend may have had really poor eyesight and also may have been watching too many hunting shows lately.

I went to a spot on opening day and saw that there were already guys parked and out in their spots.

I really felt uneasy about walking down the paths in the pre-dawn darkness. So I didn't.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt earlier and chalk what you had to say up to personal opinion.

Not now.

Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about and are speaking via the feelings in your tummy with zero regard for facts.

Stop lumping us into the same group as those hunters who are unethical and those who can't control their emotions and shoot their wad too early.

Every year it's the same thing on this forum. Holier than thou hunters coming on here busting balls and calling names.

Give it a rest already.

Ain't speaking from my tummy as you put it. Every crossbow hunter I know is an idiot and still have yet to meet one to prove me wrong. That's how I think and I don't care if other people think I'm wrong.

That is the kind of hunter that you deal with, not crossbow hunter. Same guy that will take a 500 yard rifle shot at a deer even though he doesn't have close to the ability to make the shot. Same guy that will take a 40 yard bow shot at a deer even though he has not practiced all off season. Same guy that will sky bust waterfowl instead of waiting for them to work the decoys and come in, or simply just letting them pass instead of wounding them up high at 70+ yards. It isn't about the "crossbow", but about the hunter. Hunters like that give the rest of us a bad name. Luckily for me, I have only come across a couple people like that in my lifetime.

:thumbsup:

Let me summarize it for you fabs;

Bad Hunter.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    The only plausible explanation I can think of: the idiot was "scoping" the other hunter out of curiousity, and let one fly cause he had his finger on the trigger.

No matter what, three safety violations occurred:
    1) Arrow/muzzle in a safe direction
    2) Keep finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
    3) Be sure of your target and beyond

This is the reason why, rifle scopes should not be used as a monocular. Spend $20 and get one that won't kill anyone when you get curious.

Great advice. Scoping strikes a nerve with me, and it happens way too often. I do suspect foul play in this particular case, but this point deserves to be made.

As for hating crossbow hunters, that's just plain ignorant. If you don't like the weapon, don't hunt with one.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Is odd that crossbow hunters are hated. Very bizarre. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to post my first harvest of 2014 here in a couple of weeks; so the haters can hate.

More.

:lol2:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Not now.

Give it a rest already.
    :thumbsup:Its everywhere...not just on these forums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom