• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mouzzer

Nov 10, 2012
    Calvert
    So I have a Kimber Pro TLE II that I'm hoping to do a nitre blue job on. The process seems relatively straight forward. My questions are,

1.) does anyone have first hand experience with Nitre blueing?

2.) does anyone in the Calvert County area do sandblasting to remove old finish?

3.) does anyone know where to purchase Nitre salt?

Thanks Shooters,
    Bob

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yep. My father had his old .22 barrel done a few years ago by some fella here in Charles County. The process is nothing new, it's been around for decades, but, I see it is resurfacing. The end result 1000% better than the original factory bluing and the finish looked like a high gloss paint finish on a show car. The B-C kits create a bluish-black color, but, the Nitre method creates a finish that's hard to describe. It's more like a metallic blue chrome. It has no lace on a hunting gun that's for sure.

I've done a lot of bluing on old barrels myself and the end results were excellent just with a standard Birchwood-Casey kit, but, it weren't no job like that guy did. However, from now on I am looking past refinishing with the bluing processes and heading straight to hydro printing on my guns.

3.) does anyone know where to purchase Nitre salt? Here's a starting point: Brownell's

It's not cheap and it is a form of Potassium Nitrate. It also equires HazMat shipping fees. The "gun" term is Bluing Salts, but, it's nothing hard to find you just have to know it's other technical chemical names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom