• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Where?

I am a value shopper. I will compare prices, but features are always important. I choose the product with the greatest value to me not the cheapest or the most expensive.

The last few scopes I have bought are sightron sII (great glass, they dont get much attention though), nikon monarch, leupold ultimate slam, vortex viper,

Pretty much every where I've compared them. Would have liked the Leupold but they were a lot higher than the Zeiss I just bought. Conquest 3.5-15x42 AO rapid Z600 reticle. When you get to the AO on Leupold they seem to get crazy expensive. The Trijicon Accupoints are cheaper too. I have 3 Sightrons and they are great scopes. Midway has a good deal right now with $45 off a purchase over $225 and free shipping. May get a Leupold 2-7 rim fire. At $229 it would be a nice deal minus the $45=$184. I do like the small size of the Leupold scopes for a low mount choice. For some of my rim fires I have Clearidge scopes, seem to be a good value for the money and pretty nice glass.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If its anything like their AR15 mount I wouldn't make that assumption. The design of those is flawed. The base is three parts. The center that holds the scope and the rail clamps on both sides. This allows the center part to move side to side (twist) on the rail as you tighten it down. The two side clamps do NOT hold it straight. Repeatability is non-existent. You'll have to bore sight it as you tighten them down so the scope doesn't run out of windage adjustment. If you reef down on the bolts enough if will stay put but a mount that has one half of the picatinny rail clamp machined as part of the main part (so it only has a moving clamp on one side) is a MUCH better design.

Dang if you aren't right Steve. I just assumed mine was a 1 piece mount but it is exactly as you described, grrrr.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I don't have the luxury of a large scope budget, so I went for a SWFA 10x42 HD for my Rem 700 5R .308 It is a very nice scope, tough as nails, tracks true, and has exceptionally clear glass.
    5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

But you have a sweet HK P something, can't tell from pic. My most accurate hand gun.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I'm looking at picking up a M-223 and the M-308, you cannot beat what you get for the money, I'm not a fan of the scope bases but that's ok with me, that is easily rectified, and i can pick up two very nice scopes for the price of one leupold

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The one big gripe of mine with BDC scopes, reticle thickness.

Plays hell with real precise shots since they're typically in the .22 MOA range, doesn't sound like much, but it is.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    John, I know you said Mark 4, but what about a VXIII? Is your price range around $400? VXIII's are a but more than that, but have you considered them? Or a VXR? Im getting ready to drop the 6-18 Mark 2 from my .308 AR for a 4-12 VXIII. Cant freaking wait!

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    John, I know you said Mark 4, but what about a VXIII? Is your price range around $400? VXIII's are a but more than that, but have you considered them? Or a VXR? Im getting ready to drop the 6-18 Mark 2 from my .308 AR for a 4-12 VXIII. Cant freaking wait!

I did. Believe me I have nothing against leupold. I have had the mark ar3-9, there shotgun scope and I still have a 2.5-8 vx3 handgun scope. They have all been great scopes. That said I did make a deal on a zeiss 4-14x50. Now I'm just looking for a quality 1" scope mount,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom