• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Its been raining out here the last couple of days after a good 3 or so weeks of no rain. So I got home around 9:30ish and spotted tons of nightcrawlers...I thought there were only a few at first but after about 5 minutes I had a handful and asked the wife for help...well I think we ended up with 4 or 5 dozen maybe more to put in my homemade worm farm tub. Sorry no pics...:)

I never knew there were that many nightcrawlers around....I wont buy any again that's for sure...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    that's a sign that you probably have tremors in your yard.. LOL

tremors3d.jpg

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Back when I use to fish alot I also waited until after a good soaking rain and would go out in the yard and could grab 5-6 dozen in about 20 minutes. Much bigger than anything from the stores. I'd wait until 10PM and by then they were practically all the way out of the hole. When they were mating it was a 2-for-1 grab.

EAB

Mar 5, 2013
    I used to catch lots during the spring and keep them alive in buckets layered with wet newspaper and coffee grinds in the basement frig.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    My Pap Pap would use a split extension cord and 2 metal stakes. He attached the ends of the cord to the stakes, stuck them about 6' apart in the yard then plugged in the cord. We had all the worms we needed in minutes.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I guess I never took time to catch them....I caught about 3 dozen more last night. I put them in my worm farm tub...I read you aren't supposed to feed them coffee grounds but they do like wet newspaper. I see they were eating grass when I caught them or mating lol. I put some clippings in for them, and some corn meal.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My Pap Pap would use a split extension cord and 2 metal stakes. He attached the ends of the cord to the stakes, stuck them about 6' apart in the yard then plugged in the cord. We had all the worms we needed in minutes.

I read a little about this yesterday...didn't know if it worked or not.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I read a little about this yesterday...didn't know if it worked or not.

Back when I was a kid a friend of mine had something close to that but just a metal stake with a wooded handle that had a power cord hooked up to it some how. We would wait till it rained or just turned on the hose to soak the ground for a good while. Then come back later on and turn one the stake. After a few mins the worms just pop right out of the ground. Wish I knew how to make one of those.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    We used to stick 2 metal rods in the ground a few feet apart and hook a boat battery up the them with jumper cables . Wear rubber boots and gloves and keep the dog out of the yard :D

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    When I was a kid, we would hose the yard down about dusk and get a flashlight with a red lens cover and go out when it became dark. We would catch plenty of night crawlers and take them to my Uncle who was home during the day and he would sell them for $.35 a dozen or 3 dozen for a dollar.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

When I was younger my dad picked up some hand crank US military (WW II era) field telephones at an auction. Just to play around with them, we tool metal poles, wire and the phones out in a field, then started cranking. By god within 2 minutes of cranking all these earthworms were popping up out of the ground. We went to a creek with some slow moving water that we knew had some monster crawfish and then proceeded to light those suckers up. We had crawfish for dinner that night and mad jambalaya/gumbo with the ones that were left over.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    When I was younger my dad picked up some hand crank US military (WW II era) field telephones at an auction. Just to play around with them, we tool metal poles, wire and the phones out in a field, then started cranking. By god within 2 minutes of cranking all these earthworms were popping up out of the ground. We went to a creek with some slow moving water that we knew had some monster crawfish and then proceeded to light those suckers up. We had crawfish for dinner that night and mad jambalaya/gumbo with the ones that were left over.

cool...I have a magneto but didn't know if that's all I needed or not...

Also I heard that's good fishing technique as well but don't get caught doing that:lol2:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You'd be surprised how many nightcrawlers you can catch at night, when its not raining as well!

Just dont do what I almost did - I spotted a huge nightcrawler, and a tongue stuck out when I went to snatch it... it was a damn brown snake.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    We put a double layer of paper towel secured w/ rubber band over the lense of the flashlight
    and caught as many as we wanted... pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom