• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have a trust that has been in place for many years. Have not purchased anything since the rule changes but have been looking at new 30 cal can direct thread for some hunting/bolt action rifles.

Wife is on the trust and getting her to embrace the outlay of cash, her go get fingerprints and picture taken will involve some serious horse trading that quite honestly do not feel like dealing with right now.

Not trying to hide anything but is there anything stopping me buying outside of the trust ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have a trust that has been in place for many years. Have not purchased anything since the rule changes but have been looking at new 30 cal can direct thread for some hunting/bolt action rifles.

Wife is on the trust and getting her to embrace the outlay of cash, her go get fingerprints and picture taken will involve some serious horse trading that quite honestly do not feel like dealing with right now.

Not trying to hide anything but is there anything stopping me buying outside of the trust ?

Absolutely not. Buy as an individual. Later, when she's in the right mood, get her printed and pic and then you can transfer it into your trust.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    SilencerShop has a trust to put a single item on.
    You could also modify your trust and remove your wife from your trust. Not sure if that would be a flag for the examiner

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    SilencerShop has a trust to put a single item on.
    You could also modify your trust and remove your wife from your trust. Not sure if that would be a flag for the examiner

Trustees can be revoked at any time, but if he wants her back on, she would need to do the pics and prints. He's in the same boat.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    She has had zero issues with the items on there currently, think the biggest issue will be getting her to go to get fingerprints and pics. Both work full time, young kids so if try to drag her to go get those feel like that is where the resistance will begin.

Maybe the pitch of will save hearing while hunting will do it for her… If hearing goes finally have the built in excuse of not listening to her !!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wouldn't he have to pay for another stamp to be able to transfer it into the trust?

I do not know the answer to that. Possibly. One would have to go to the ATFE/NFA website and "ask the experts". I just tried and the site was "not available" at the moment.

I'm sure an SOT will know how to go about that though.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I do not know the answer to that. Possibly. One would have to go to the ATFE/NFA website and "ask the experts". I just tried and the site was "not available" at the moment.

I'm sure an SOT will know how to go about that though.

My understanding is that if you assign the NFA item to a trust and then want to put it under another trust, that would be another stamp. However, OP can be on a trust by himself and add her later.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My understanding is that if you assign the NFA item to a trust and then want to put it under another trust, that would be another stamp. However, OP can be on a trust by himself and add her later.

They are both on a trust now. No reason to start a second trust. Either way, he will need to get her prints and pics to relinquish his possessions upon his demise.
    It would be easier(and cheaper) to get her to submit pics and prints now.
    I'm thinking of going back into NFA land for one more can. I will probably purchase as an individual. Both my wife and daughter are Feds(current and retired), they have no qualms being printed. Still, if my next purchase is not in my trust, they'll be fine with what is already in my trust.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/a-buyer-s-guide-individual-vs-trust

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Is she going to be using them on her own or is she on the trust so she can have possesion of them if something happens to you?

If it's a possesion thing in the event something happens to you, remove her as a trustee and add her on as a beneficiary.

I did that with a friend of mine who didn't want to deal with the new rules but wanted to be able to help me out since no one in my family is interested in firearms. It didn't send up any flags, I am starting tonget stamps back for items I bought 7 or 8 months ago.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    After waiting nearly 18 months for my trust items to get stamped, I went ahead and put a couple cans in jail as an individual. I figure I can always add them to the trust later, and have the use of them a year sooner. I'm so used to being raped by the taxman, another couple hundred doesn't hurt that much.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    After waiting nearly 18 months for my trust items to get stamped, I went ahead and put a couple cans in jail as an individual. I figure I can always add them to the trust later, and have the use of them a year sooner. I'm so used to being raped by the taxman, another couple hundred doesn't hurt that much.

Thats a stamp for EACH item you add to the trust.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    She has had zero issues with the items on there currently, think the biggest issue will be getting her to go to get fingerprints and pics. Both work full time, young kids so if try to drag her to go get those feel like that is where the resistance will begin.

Maybe the pitch of will save hearing while hunting will do it for her… If hearing goes finally have the built in excuse of not listening to her !!!

I'm fairly certain that you can do your own pictures and fingerprints

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Silencershop Trust was nice, and well worth it. Sorry to any attorneys but I feel it would have costed more going through an attorney,.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Is she going to be using them on her own or is she on the trust so she can have possesion of them if something happens to you?

If it's a possesion thing in the event something happens to you, remove her as a trustee and add her on as a beneficiary.

I did that with a friend of mine who didn't want to deal with the new rules but wanted to be able to help me out since no one in my family is interested in firearms. It didn't send up any flags, I am starting tonget stamps back for items I bought 7 or 8 months ago.

i agree with this. my better half and kids are beneficiaries and not trustees. they don't go to the range without me anyway so there is no benefit to having them as trustee. the trust can be amended at any time if its written that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom