• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Still 180 days to go before the new 41p rules go into effect, this is plenty of time to get a trust and buy a few new toys. If you are planning to buy or build even a single NFA item in Maryland this will save you more than you would have spent on fingerprints.

I used their trust for my last couple purchases from Duffy's. Made things super fast and easy. Hopefully a few other people can chime in as well.

http://www.gearhog.com?rf=730745

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    This trust may "work" but the disclaimer that they are not lawyers troubles me. The ATF doesn't review trusts for legal errors and in the future I wouldn't be surprised if the government assigned Justice Department lawyers to review and attempt to nullify as many trusts as possible, seizing NFA items in the process.

Spending a couple/few hundred bucks more to better safeguard thousands in NFA items seems reasonable to me.

"Gearhog.com and 199Trust are not law firms and do not provide legal advice, if you need legal assistance or are unclear of the laws in your state, you should contact a local lawyer before purchasing these documents."

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    If you want a cheap trust that may or may not stand up to legal scrutiny (and thus land you in prison and your guns in a crucible) why not just buy Quicken Willmaker? It's cheaper and is probably the verbiage they're using anyway.

Or, you could be smart and invest a couple hundred dollars in a local attorney savvy in NFA intricacies to draw up a trust for you. Part of that whole "keeping you out of prison" thing....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    An NFA Trust is a legal vehicle for purchase and manufacture of NFA items.

With a trust, at least for 180 days from now, you go not need to get a sign off by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer, you do not need to submit photos and finger prints.

Also, with a trust, all trustees can have access and use the NFA items. If you purchase or make as an individual, only YOU can have access to them, and must be present when they are used.

So if you and your wife shoot, and you have individual NFA items, legally, you need a safe, that only YOU have the combo for, for those NFA items. With a trust, and both trustees, you both can have access to the safe.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    If you want a cheap trust that may or may not stand up to legal scrutiny (and thus land you in prison and your guns in a crucible) why not just buy Quicken Willmaker? It's cheaper and is probably the verbiage they're using anyway.

Or, you could be smart and invest a couple hundred dollars in a local attorney savvy in NFA intricacies to draw up a trust for you. Part of that whole "keeping you out of prison" thing....

how exactly would a local attorney's trust keep you out of prison anymore then a cookie cutter trust? what exactly is so special in MD when it comes to these NFA trusts? i always hear people say what you did, but what language is not in other trusts thats in these md attorney trusts that make you so much safer?

how exactly would a local attorney's trust keep you out of prison anymore then a cookie cutter trust? what exactly is so special in MD when it comes to these NFA trusts? i always hear people say what you did, but what language is not in other trusts thats in these md attorney trusts that make you so much safer?

IANAL,but state laws vary (not just related to firearms),just like Wills vary among counties.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

It's how people who paid $300+ for thiers, validate the extra expense.

And if your trust is poorly written, the problem will be with passing your items down. Not the Feds knocking on your door to haul you away.

Do what you are comfortable with. To be fair, the extra money does buy piece of mind.

I know Quicken willmaker is a valid way to write a trust. That goes beyond my level of comfort.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I understand wanting to save money. I used thw Willmaker route at first myself then got to thinking it was silly to not want to spend a few hundred more to protect myself more from a mistake that might cost me many thousands and worst case, more.
    That's the route that made sense to me. Others may see it differently but me, I'm not much of a gambling man.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    i just dont understand peoples thinking on the topic. do you think later on the ATF is going to magically come across your trust and see it wasnt made in MD and order you to send back all your NFA items?

i keep hearing the same argument from people, i get the piece of mind argument, thats on the person. but to say you could potentially end up in prison by using a generic trust is just complete BS. name ONE case where someone was prosecuted based on their NFA trust. spreading false information is BS, people need to stop

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    i just dont understand peoples thinking on the topic. do you think later on the ATF is going to magically come across your trust and see it wasnt made in MD and order you to send back all your NFA items?

i keep hearing the same argument from people, i get the piece of mind argument, thats on the person. but to say you could potentially end up in prison by using a generic trust is just complete BS. name ONE case where someone was prosecuted based on their NFA trust. spreading false information is BS, people need to stop

I tend to agree. Just sounds like the same old bgos tune.
    I did go the route of a MD attorney drafted trust, but it was only a tad more expensive than this. I can't see the atf or any other entity spending LOADS of $$$ to go after individual trusts, EVER.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, ATF will not review your trust and coming looking for you.

But if something does go wrong, and your trust comes under scrutiny, will it stand up? And what will happen if it doesn't?

Your choice. In the scheme of things, a few hundred for a MD lawyer drafted trust is a SMALL part of what you will spend in tax stamps ($1400 so far) or for the items themselves (I don't want to know :) ).

So if you are comfortable with a $59 trust from a company that states they are not lawyers, go for it.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I didn't see anywhere that it states that they aren't lawyers. It just says that they are not a law firm and cannot provide legal advise.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    No, ATF will not review your trust and coming looking for you.

But if something does go wrong, and your trust comes under scrutiny, will it stand up? And what will happen if it doesn't?

Your choice. In the scheme of things, a few hundred for a MD lawyer drafted trust is a SMALL part of what you will spend in tax stamps ($1400 so far) or for the items themselves (I don't want to know :) ).

So if you are comfortable with a $59 trust from a company that states they are not lawyers, go for it.

and do you think a md lawyer trust will stand up anymore to the federal government? either way, if that situation ever arises, regardless of who writes your trust, you are going to be spending a lot of money for a lawyer

i dont have an issue with people doing what they want for their own piece of mind, but its completely bogus for people to state you will goto prison or your items will get seized one day based on nothing but absolute speculation

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    and do you think a md lawyer trust will stand up anymore to the federal government? either way, if that situation ever arises, regardless of who writes your trust, you are going to be spending a lot of money for a lawyer

i dont have an issue with people doing what they want for their own piece of mind, but its completely bogus for people to state you will goto prison or your items will get seized one day based on nothing but absolute speculation

Did I every say that?

I asked, what would happen if your trust did not stand up? Might be fine, might not be.

Your choice to take the chance.

I am not as worried about the Fed gov and my trust, but other entities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom