• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    "In the conversation explaining what NFA is"

Honesty used to be the best policy. That's obviously not true anymore. But I guess some find it hard to let go of their guns, bibles and Golden Rules.;)

I don't know the difference between a bank and a credit union, but I think banks want/need your business more? My bank is fine. They know me. They have a pretty good idea what I'm in to. They love my money and my business. And I'm talking downtown Rockville.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    M&T was happy to both do the notarizing and opening a free checking account for the trust.

cougar7890

Oct 2, 2008
    i just recently had my trust redone and i never explained or told them what the trust was for.. i just gave them the page needed notary along with my and my wife's IDs. they don't need to know what they are notarizing. my bank is bank of america

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    So my take away is that they should have been able to do both and that either the notary or institution did not want to given the content of the document they were notarizing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A Notary is supposed to only verify your identity, and witness your signature.

Some banks/ credit unions have a "policy" about not handling NFA Trusts and/ or business accounts of firearms related companies. Lots of finiancial institutions out there, some deserve your patronage more than others.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I opened one at Capital One with out issues. Although when the guy asked what NFA stood for, I could remember anything but the National part.

I have a question, after the trust is established and has an "item" listed, is there any need for the account? Or the dollar if you went in that direction?

Blackhatch

Jan 13, 2013
    What and who are you guys using to set up the NFA Trust?

I have seen a couple of online things but just not sure if just dealing with one of the attorney groups is easier?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    What and who are you guys using to set up the NFA Trust?

I have seen a couple of online things but just not sure if just dealing with one of the attorney groups is easier?

I bought a trust through 199trust.com, and so did several other users here. Others have used Stouffer legal, or one of our other IP legal firms, to set up a trust for them.

I don't know which is "easier," though I will say that it took me about 20 minutes to sign up with 199Trust.com and then another hour or so to get everything actually notarized and signed.

I suspect that if you went to an attorney it would take a similar amount of time (assuming they have a Notary on staff), but would be more expensive. However, you would also have a lawyer around who wrote the trust whom you could pay to defend you if you needed it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Several threads on trusts in this second.

I went with an IP here. I preferred to have it drafted by an MD lawyer.

And the trust price is a small part of what you will spend once you get the trust. :)

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    As for notarizing the document, all they are doing is witnessing the action and that you are who you say you are! I went into the PF CPFCU with 3 other guys to have some info notarized when we were putting in our MD CCW back when the flood gates opened up and the woman there said, " That's cool!, Let me know if it works, I want to put in for one too."
    As far as opening an account, When we went to NFCU, they WOULD NOT open an account because it had NFA in the title and their lawyers advised them not to. Went to CPFCU in ST Mary's and it was a piece of cake! They took a copy sent it the main office for review and the next day said, come open your account.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I went to my Capital One Bank branch in Germantown last Friday and they told me that they would not notarize my trust since it was a legal document and they do not notarize legal documents. The lady did not even see the trust since it was in an envelope so she had no way of knowing that it was an NFA Trust. I then went to the local UPS store but because the trust requires two witnesses, the guy told me that I would have to bring two witnesses with me since his employees were not allowed to be my witnesses.

What has been the experience at banks? Do they provide the notary service and the two witnesses, or do we need to take two people with us to the bank to act as witnesses?

Cal68

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I went to my Capital One Bank branch in Germantown last Friday and they told me that they would not notarize my trust since it was a legal document and they do not notarize legal documents. The lady did not even see the trust since it was in an envelope so she had no way of knowing that it was an NFA Trust. I then went to the local UPS store but because the trust requires two witnesses, the guy told me that I would have to bring two witnesses with me since his employees were not allowed to be my witnesses.

What has been the experience at banks? Do they provide the notary service and the two witnesses, or do we need to take two people with us to the bank to act as witnesses?

Cal68

BB&T in Carroll County provided the notary service, and the two witnesses. In and out in less then 10 minutes. The service was free, I do have a regular checking account with them. I don't know if it is free for all or just for account holders. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom