• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Thanks man! Every time I begin to think the same, I go to a MDTCA shoot and realize that I'm at the (very) bottom of the food chain there. Those guys are the real deal.

-Jim

Nice Macs Jim. :thumbsup: Hopefully I'll catch you at of of the TCA shoots. I'd like to see how your Max31 compares side by side to my Max31A.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    My goofball son horse with my 10.5 SBR. :lol2:

10.5" SBR, what muzzle device do you have on this and what length handguard? I'm try to decide on a handguard that will:

1) cover up as much of the barrel as possible, while
    2) being skinny like an NSR or KMR, and
    3) Allowing me to use an AAC 51t muzzle device, and
    4) leave enough room to mount an AAC 762-sdn-6, without
    5) making the release button for the can inaccessible.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I don't usually post pics of my collection/projects, but this turned out too cool not to be shared. Bigs thanks to Bill for helping complete the build. You rock bro! And special thanks to the Bollingers for my trust name engraving.

1zfln4h.jpg

2vv1aub.jpg

2iky4vo.jpg

mcrn15.jpg

2d972a1.jpg

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    Wow! That does look awesome. I would be interested in something very similar to that. What does a build like that go for (ballpark), minus the can. How long is it? That really does look great.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I hope it's pre-10/1, because folding stock plus flash hider is a problem. (Suppressors are flash hiders, almost by definition.)

Otherwise, nice gun.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    It's an 11" FAL SBR (para model) built on an Enterprise Arms metric receiver, finished off with a DS Arms 11" barreled forend, folding stock, and a Gemtech Quicksand Titanium suppressor, and yes it's a pre-Oct 1st build. It's an absolute dream to shoot, no more kick then a full length AR-15, let alone an 11" barreled 7.62x51mm (.308 win). The gas blow back with suppressor is not crazy when dialed in correctly. It's incredibly LOAD without the suppressor, and actually brought with it some concern with my Quicksand. Gemtech assured me it would be okay, however it would obviously eat away at my blast baffle a little quicker. It was actually quite funny talking with them, I got the impression "you do know it's made from titanium, right"? Anyway, I absolutely love the gun and with the adjustable gas setting, I can shoot the thing all day and not get my shoulder thumped. I'll be adding the DS Arms milled top rail when I can, as the original dust cover is too flimsy for this kind of application.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    It's an 11" FAL SBR (para model) built on an Enterprise Arms metric receiver, finished off with a DS Arms 11" barreled forend, folding stock, and a Gemtech Quicksand Titanium suppressor, and yes it's pre-Oct 1st build. It is an absolute dream to shoot, no more kick then a full length AR-15, let alone an 11" barreled 7.62x51mm. The gas blow back with suppressor is not crazy when dialed in correctly. It's incredibly LOAD without the suppressor, and actually brought with it some concern with my Quicksand. Gemtech assured me it would be okay, however it would obviously eat away at my blast baffle a little quicker. It was actually quite funny talking with them, I got the impression "you do know it's made from titanium, right"? Anyway, I absolutely love the gun and with the adjustable gas setting, I can shoot the thing all day and not get my shoulder thumped. I'll be adding the DS Arms milled top rail when I can, as the original dust cover is too flimsy for this kind of application.

Very nice rifle!! I'm amazed that the recoil is so well managed, very cool.

-Jim

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Awesome dude! I got my Gemtech on a similar setup. What was the inspiration for the handguard tape? Seems like you were going for some type of Libya clone ;)

Is that a direct thread Huntertown Arms can? I can't tell, sorry.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Be careful with the gassing with a suppressor on an AK. Watch your rear Trunnion for hard impacts, if so you need to have the Gas Block setup to be adjustable. Otherwise youll blow out the rear rivets, mushroom your firing pin, and tear up your cam area on the Carrier and Bolt Head.

I had to make my GB/FSB on my Draco adjustable.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Be careful with the gassing with a suppressor on an AK. Watch your rear Trunnion for hard impacts, if so you need to have the Gas Block setup to be adjustable. Otherwise youll blow out the rear rivets, mushroom your firing pin, and tear up your cam area on the Carrier and Bolt Head.

I had to make my GB/FSB on my Draco adjustable.

Would one of those neoprene/rubber buffers that slide over the recoil spring/rod anyway help with the above scenario you described? I have another AK-47 SBR and it noticeably slams back harder when using my suppressor, however no rivet cracks thus far. What is the worse you've seen from your personal experience with AK-47's and suppressors? I'm trying not to jack my stuff up when running with a can.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    It's a Romanian Pistol Mitralieră model 1990 cu țeavă scurtă clone (PM. md 90 cts), so I'm not sure I'm going to keep it on there yet. I had a couple rolls of the "paki" tape, so I figured I'd try it out.

Suppressor is the Huntertown Arms AK762 direct thread. After I'd already bought their direct-thread mounts for everything I discovered that there was a multi-mount adapter. Oh well.

I marked the rear of the carrier with "Poor man's dykem blue" or a green Sharpie. I'm checking it for hard impacts, and hopefully it'll be alright. I may have to tap the trunnion to add a grub screw to close off some of the gas port. So far (only about 10 rounds) it runs fine with the current port size. I drilled it initially with a 2.5mm bit (.10" iirc) and so far so good. The barrel is 9.5", and it's about 1" back from the muzzle, if I remember correctly.

I have various buffers, but I've never found them very helpful in anything except getting fingers smashed. I have one that's some kind of rubber, then a couple I 3d printed (ABS and Nylon) they seem to allow MORE recoil to the shooter.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    It's a Romanian Pistol Mitralieră model 1990 cu țeavă scurtă clone (PM. md 90 cts), so I'm not sure I'm going to keep it on there yet. I had a couple rolls of the "paki" tape, so I figured I'd try it out.

Suppressor is the Huntertown Arms AK762 direct thread. After I'd already bought their direct-thread mounts for everything I discovered that there was a multi-mount adapter. Oh well.

I marked the rear of the carrier with "Poor man's dykem blue" or a green Sharpie. I'm checking it for hard impacts, and hopefully it'll be alright. I may have to tap the trunnion to add a grub screw to close off some of the gas port. So far (only about 10 rounds) it runs fine with the current port size. I drilled it initially with a 2.5mm bit (.10" iirc) and so far so good. The barrel is 9.5", and it's about 1" back from the muzzle, if I remember correctly.

I have various buffers, but I've never found them very helpful in anything except getting fingers smashed. I have one that's some kind of rubber, then a couple I 3d printed (ABS and Nylon) they seem to allow MORE recoil to the shooter.

Very cool! I have a full length Romanian AIMS kit that I put together with the same stock. I've ran hundreds of rounds through it with my suppressor and no noticeable rivet cracks. Haven't figured out yet how to attach my Gemtech Quicksand to Yugo M92 SBR.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Would one of those neoprene/rubber buffers that slide over the recoil spring/rod anyway help with the above scenario you described? I have another AK-47 SBR and it noticeably slams back harder when using my suppressor, however no rivet cracks thus far. What is the worse you've seen from your personal experience with AK-47's and suppressors? I'm trying not to jack my stuff up when running with a can.

Recoil buffer for AKs tend to cause more issues than they solve. The only instance where a recoil buffer should be used is if your receiver was cut incorrectly and the bolt carrier jumps off the rails at the rearward stroke, in this case the buffer will prevent the carrier from jumping off the rails due to limited travel. AK buffers do nothing else than to transfer energy to the rear trunnion when it should not happen.
    If your bolt carrier is traveling too fast then the only options are to limit the gas flow at the port for install extra power recoil springs sometimes both.

Suppressing AKs was one of my specialties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom