• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I was talking to an unnamed FFL and he mentioned NFA items will still be able to be gotten after Oct 1. A.K.A. SBR ARs

Thoughts?

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    By the time you'd actually take possession of the SBR, MOM will have had enough time to ban them with a new law that will take effect Oct 2014.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    NFA purchases require a tax stamp and go through BATFE scrutiny at the Federal level. So SBRs, AOWs, and FAs are exempt from the local ban since MD has no authority to intervene as the point of contact.

So yes, you can still buy a genuine and much more lethal "assault rifle" here in MD post-Oct 1... but a sporting variation good for hunting or match use is now banned. Silly, ain't it?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    NFA purchases require a tax stamp and go through BATFE scrutiny at the Federal level. So SBRs, AOWs, and FAs are exempt from the local ban since MD has no authority to intervene as the point of contact.

So yes, you can still buy a genuine and much more lethal "assault rifle" here in MD post-Oct 1... but a sporting variation good for hunting or match use is now banned. Silly, ain't it?

I appreciate the idea, but who the point of contact is doesn't mean anything in regard to what is legal in the state. MD could flat out ban machine guns in law and you wouldn't be able to get one.

That said, SB281 doesn't specifically call out NFA items. Things like suppressors, machine guns, and short barrel shotguns are certainly unaffected.

However, there is conflicting language about SBR's, I think a legal argument could be made that new SBR's don't count as an "Assault LONG gun" since Md defines any rifle with a barrel under 16" a handgun. However, a good argument can also be made by saying that if said SBR's are handguns, they've got to be on the roster. That's not currently how it works as FFL's call them rifles on the paperwork. Now, suddenly we are going to call them handguns because that fits what we want?

So, I don't know and it's certainly not clear cut. We'll have to see how it falls out through some test cases or an AG letter.

-Jim

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I appreciate the idea, but who the point of contact is doesn't mean anything in regard to what is legal in the state. MD could flat out ban machine guns in law and you wouldn't be able to get one.

That said, SB281 doesn't specifically call out NFA items. Things like suppressors, machine guns, and short barrel shotguns are certainly unaffected.

However, there is conflicting language about SBR's, I think a legal argument could be made that new SBR's don't count as an "Assault LONG gun" since Md defines any rifle with a barrel under 16" a handgun. However, a good argument can also be made by saying that if said SBR's are handguns, they've got to be on the roster. That's not currently how it works as FFL's call them rifles on the paperwork. Now, suddenly we are going to call them handguns because that fits what we want?

So, I don't know and it's certainly not clear cut. We'll have to see how it falls out through some test cases or an AG letter.

-Jim

SBRs are classified as handguns per MSP.

Somewhere here on the forums is a memo that states such, I just can't find it at the moment.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I keep wondering why ObamaCare and SB 281 take affect on the same day.

Coincidence?

Fiscal Year?

Mental Health?

Black Helicopters?

Tin Foil Hats?

How long is the NFA wait for SBR's now? I heard over a year. Is that correct?

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    It just took 9 months door to door for me. The time just to go pending has been trending way up. A year wouldn't surprise me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indivual states can and do ban or have additional regulations regarding various NFA items.

Md has multiple definitions , all slightly different, of "handguns" in various statutes for different contexts . Ie general definitions , transporting , wear & carry , using to commit felony or crime of violence , and probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

*most* NFA items would have minimal direct effect from SB281 . However there are a couple areas that are not clear , and *could* become at issue :

SBRs generally w/ two features.

SBRs with OAL less than 29in , but more than 26in.

SBR/ AOW that is also less than 26in OAL , and utilizes an action type otherwise totally banned , probably has good chance of remaining OK .BUT will a Md based 007/SOT be able to bring in a reciever to build one ? Make a reciever in their Md located facility to be used to mfg an NFA item ? Or will they have to be mfg into their final SBR/AOW form out of state , and only the finished product brought into Md as a Form 4 item ?

I know the Legislative Intent was for NFA items to be left to the current Federal process , but we'll have to see implementing Regulations and training guidelines ( not yet anounced , and probably not written ) .

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    SBRs are classified as handguns per MSP.

Somewhere here on the forums is a memo that states such, I just can't find it at the moment.

Right, I said that.... I also said that they may be classified that way, but they aren't treated that way. Do you know of any FFL that requires a SBR be on the roster? I don't.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom