• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian BRP

Jul 16, 2011
    New Maryland Machinegun Process

On the fingerprinting be sure to do the old Orange cards along with your 258 cards. Some of the fingerprinting places are pushing LiveScan and MSP will take them but you still need to get your FBI258 cards done with the ATF info pre-printed on them. ATF will not take a LiveScan receipt.

A customer recently had to make two trips to Pikesville to get this corrected.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    On the fingerprinting be sure to do the old Orange cards along with your 258 cards. Some of the fingerprinting places are pushing LiveScan and MSP will take them but you still need to get your FBI258 cards done with the ATF info pre-printed on them. ATF will not take a LiveScan receipt.

A customer recently had to make two trips to Pikesville to get this corrected.

The current Maryland fingerprint cards are Purple and the FBI cards are Blue. I think that the orange card was replaced in 2008 or 2009.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    If I understand it right, SBR marking requirements are iaw US Code Title 27 CFR 479. And based on that it's text no smaller than 1/16" and .003 deep.

So based on that if so inclined I could do it using stamps that are 3/16" high? And doing so would just use more space for for each line?

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Next question.

Would an 80% AR lower be SBR'd via a form 1 like any other lower I might acquire? Except that in place of company x and their info/serno. I would list myself or nfa trust as the Manu, and supply my own unique serno?

Don't forget, you need two copies of the Form 1 or Form 4.

Crap I need two form 1's and they both have to be signed in ink by my CLEO? ( I only gave him 1 copy and it has ben signed and returned to me) so I have to print another one and have him sign it? (this would suck I did get it back in like 5 buisness days from him) Also who do I make the check out to? BATFE? I didn't see that on the instructions any were.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Crap I need two form 1's and they both have to be signed in ink by my CLEO? ( I only gave him 1 copy and it has ben signed and returned to me) so I have to print another one and have him sign it? (this would suck I did get it back in like 5 buisness days from him) Also who do I make the check out to? BATFE? I didn't see that on the instructions any were.

Yes, you need to send in 2 copies of the Form 1. (To both MSP and BATFE). The check is made out to "BATFE". Be sure that you send it to the address shown on the Form 1. It is different than the address on a Form 4.

just when I thought I was moveing along lol oh well he was fast about signing them so hopefully the second set will be just as fast I some how missed the two copies thing the first go around mehh NFA noob what do you expext. lol I guess it just means I can hold onto my $200 for another week or two.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    just when I thought I was moveing along lol oh well he was fast about signing them so hopefully the second set will be just as fast I some how missed the two copies thing the first go around mehh NFA noob what do you expext. lol I guess it just means I can hold onto my $200 for another week or two.

Since he already signed off on one copy, try giving him a call to explain what happened. Perhaps with the already signed copy, you can get a quick turn around.

stovepipe

One Man Wolfpack
    Feb 12, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I have a couple of questions when submitting a form 1 using my revocable trust. I know that I have to send two original double sided copies of the form one. Am I correct in thinking that I only need to send along one copy of my trust and schedule a? Also, do I need to fill out and send a copy of the 5330.20 form to prove citizenship, and if so will one copy suffice? My last question is regarding filling out the form itself. When filling out the form, for all of the spaces that are not applicable do I just simply leave them blank or do I need to put n/a. Examples of this would be question 3a. Trade name and question 4h additional information.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I have a couple of questions when submitting a form 1 using my revocable trust. I know that I have to send two original double sided copies of the form one. Q1:Am I correct in thinking that I only need to send along one copy of my trust and schedule a? Q2:Also, do I need to fill out and send a copy of the 5330.20 form to prove citizenship, and if so will one copy suffice? My last question is regarding filling out the form itself. Q3:When filling out the form, for all of the spaces that are not applicable do I just simply leave them blank or do I need to put n/a. Examples of this would be question 3a. Trade name and question 4h additional information.

A1: Correct, one copy of trust and schedule a. However, it's not going to hurt anything to err on the side of caution and send two.

A2: IIRC, I have always sent two. I believe they only need one though.

A3: Leave blank.

In space 4h you need to put the name and city, state of your trust. 4h is the information you're going to be engraving on the receiver, as the manufacturer.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Can a friend/family member/etc use my NFA items outside of my presence?

If that is true, then most, if not all of us, have violated the rule.

That is very true. See here:

TITLE 26 > Subtitle E > CHAPTER 53 > Subchapter B > PART I > § 5845

§ 5845. Definitions

For the purpose of this chapter—

(a) Firearm
    The term “firearm” means

(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code);

(j) Transfer
    The term “transfer” and the various derivatives of such word, shall include selling, assigning, pledging, leasing, loaning, giving away, or otherwise disposing of.

and here

TITLE 26 > Subtitle E > CHAPTER 53 > Subchapter B > PART I > § 5841

§ 5841. Registration of firearms

(a) Central registry

The Secretary shall maintain a central registry of all firearms in the United States which are not in the possession or under the control of the United States. This registry shall be known as the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. The registry shall include—
    (1) identification of the firearm;
    (2) date of registration; and
    (3) identification and address of person entitled to possession of the firearm.

(b) By whom registered

Each manufacturer, importer, and maker shall register each firearm he manufactures, imports, or makes. Each firearm transferred shall be registered to the transferee by the transferor.

and then here

TITLE 26 > Subtitle E > CHAPTER 53 > Subchapter C > § 5861

§ 5861. Prohibited acts

It shall be unlawful for any person—

(d) to receive or possess a firearm which is not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record; or

Read together, the law pretty must states that you cannot loan a firearm to a person who is not the registered owner of the "firearm" under the "Transfer Record." Some want to argue that "otherwise dispose of" gives the impression of permanency in the transfer but when interpreting the statute, the court will look to the dictionary definition of "loan" and most likely find against any person arguing that.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I've misplaced the list of inspectors assigned to the various regions/states. Anyone have a link?

Thanks,

Bryan

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The reviewer for MD is Dana Pickles.

Thanks, Rich. I'm also interested in the reviewers for other states, since they're the ones doing the reviews for Form 3s for transferring to your local NFA dealer. For example, the Georgia reviewer does Form 3s for transferring from GA to MD. At least, I think that's how it works.

I forgot where I saw the list. [sigh]

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom