• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOMDSHOOT
    I don't pay any attention to deer until September 15th. Anything that's done before then is a waste of time. Patterns change in the Fall, so, there's now sense in watching them through the Summer.

I'm with you man. I start worrying about deer movement patterns in mid September, how they move in the summer doesn't really factor into things, especially in the woods where I hunt.
    And then the patterns change again after shotgun opens. On the Eastern shore, there's goose hunting in Jan, messes up late ML.
    My thing for next year is shoot early and often, and process them to last. I'm about out of venison now, unheard of. Usually, it's impossible to keep deer cold early ML season, too warm out. Next year, watch out.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    if you can, feed plots help keep deer around. at least in my experiances. after this past seasonim both disapointed and tikled pink. last year i missed the biggest buck of my life and refused to even think of shooting anything but him for fear of him being just out of sight. this year bow was a bust, i saw 1 deer during rifle season, and i smoked the hell outta them during ML. 7 in total. this year ill have a new bow, and a new reason to bow hunt.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I plan on getting out while the leaves are down and scouting some new spots. Come June/July I'll put more cameras out and really focus on getting ready for September.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I plan on getting out while the leaves are down and scouting some new spots. Come June/July I'll put more cameras out and really focus on getting ready for September.

+1. I always have my camera set over mineral sites in July/August to see which deer go on the hit list.

-Z

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    -Getting the muzzleloader sighted in (scoped)
    -making a real nice deer blind- perhaps with bamboo
    -practicing with the slug gun ( open sighted)
    -getting doe in heat urine to see if a buck will show up in daytime
    -getting a cheap trail cam or borrowing one

As to the subject of early muzzleloader season and meat, how long is too long to get it up, skinned and quartered? I'd be hunting below the house, so assuming a good clean kill, it would be tagged, gutted, and dragged up the hill in decent time. I'm going to hate wasting time to get the conf # though LOL. Can you skin and quarter the deer then get the conf #?

sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    I'll be trying out a crossbow. Sad thing is this is my first year back hunting in about 5 years and I actually have a bad right shoulder now. Anyone have opinions on public lands in BaltCo/HarCo?

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011

As to the subject of early muzzleloader season and meat, how long is too long to get it up, skinned and quartered? I'd be hunting below the house, so assuming a good clean kill, it would be tagged, gutted, and dragged up the hill in decent time. I'm going to hate wasting time to get the conf # though LOL. Can you skin and quarter the deer then get the conf #?

I believe the most popular answer to the question ''how long is too long'' is how long would you let a steak sit out before you decided it was bad. Sounds like you'll be good to go. Just remember, bacteria grows rapidly when the temp is above 40 degrees. I dont think its safe to let a deer hang very long in temps above 40. I believe you need to get the deer fully checked in before any cutting up is done. Hope ya bag one!

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    I'll be trying out a crossbow. Sad thing is this is my first year back hunting in about 5 years and I actually have a bad right shoulder now. Anyone have opinions on public lands in BaltCo/HarCo?

Theyre not bad. Ive never hunted public land in harford but if you can get drawn for one of the shotgun lottos I hear theyre very good hunts. I usually take a few out of loch raven every year. This year was different though since I could only get out there a couple times. I did pass a small buck and missed a decent shot at a doe. Had to break out the shotgun in carroll co. to get er done.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member

You have 24 hours to get the confirmation number. You can skin and quarter the deer first if you like. I do mine online, instead of calling in by phone. It just seems faster to me that way.

sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    I was looking at the counts Deer Report and the BaltCo reservoirs seemed to have good numbers. I'm content to use a bow all season as that is one thing less that I will have to purchase.

Last edited:

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    If your thinking of a Strother, do it. I have an Infinity and SR71. I'm thinking of selling the SR but it's a nice shooting bow for the speeds it's putting out. If you have any questions on the, PM me.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If I actually get out next year, I'm taking the 10/22 and CCW the 610 and confuse everyone. The only times I see deer are when I'm squirrel hunting and the only time I see squirrels is when I'm deer hunting.

Jim

I'm going to try this year after being absent from hunting in the last 20 years. I only got 1 deer and that was with a double barrel 410 shotgun at 18 years old. Since then for the most part, I was only seeing deer when I was squirrel hunting and the only time I see squirrels is when I was deer hunting. Damn animals must be in cahoots with each other. :mad54:

Still need to find a local place to hunt. I've only been in the state for a few years so I don't know any of the local farmers to get permission.

sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    I plan on trying public lands. The more rural parks allow firearms more freely than the suburbs. There's a preserve near my house that I plan on trying. It's bordered on 3 sides by active farm fields and the free hunt areas do touch up to the fields.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I know about the whole how long you let a steak sit thing LOL. I tell hunters to keep capes cold or outright freeze them, that the cape is like a steak. But I wonder about actual time from kill to cooling- is 30 mins too long if it is 60F? I've had bowhunters bring me a whole deer gutted with ice bags inside it, to hoist it and cape it ( I usually skin the whole thing and cut it in half for them and give them clean garbage bags). I assume they eat the meat without issue.

As to the issue of finding places to hunt, I recommend dressing nice and being clean, no spitting, and just going to farmers and asking if you can hunt varmints such as groundhogs. If they say yes, your leg is in the door. Be very respectful and show that you are responsible, and do a good job at varminting. Once they trust that you are OK, they may let you hunt deer if they don't already have a bunch of people already doing it ( try and find this out before going overboard and shooting 30 groundhogs).

By being polite and respectful, I've gotten farms to trap on. I could probably get hunting permission on some if I ask, and make sure I am not stepping on another hunter's toes. There are a buttload of deer on some of these properties and I am sure crop damage is going on. I'd probably only ask if I get buck fever or I am seeing tons of deer while trapping and ask if I can help abate any crop damage problems by thinning the deer out. As to my herd of 17 here at the home front, they kinda grew on me, but if they start into my mother's gardens or a neighbor is having problems with them, I'd go right to it to thin them some. With 17 and all seeming to be does and BB's, the does will be dropping more fawns this spring, and they may well be above carry capacity next season and NEED a thinning. I doubt they are the only deer herd in a square mile. I think 20 per square mile is considered normal. 100 per is way above capacity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom