• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Good morning, all.

Just want to make sure everything is on the up and up for me this weekend.

I have two hand guns.

Both hand guns must be unloaded at all times. Both hand guns must be in a case.

Does the case have to be unlocked?

Both hand guns need to be in the trunk / bed?

Can ammo be kept in the same case as the guns? Can the magazines?

I am a little confused.

Thank you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you inquiring Maryland Law , or Federal GOPA for interstate travel ?

Are you asking for * Legal Requirements * , or for recommendations?

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Maryland resident and firing range in Maryland.

Just want to know what I need to do.

Thank you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Legal Requirements ‐

Unloaded ( magazine may be loaded and adjacent, just not inserted)

Encased. A holster with a strap is specifically included as Encased.

And ( without W&C ) be transported to/ from a listed approved destination, in this instance a shooting range .

And that's it .

Cue up 10 pages of discussion of additional steps that are Wise & Prudent and/ or personally recommended.

( I'll throw out there myself; that it is usually Wise & Peudent to have the actual handguns out of direct immediate sight . Both for discretion, and protecting the guns from damage in transit ).

And an additional 10 pages of comments discussing * How Directly * the travel between home and shooting must be/ be wise to be unambiguously in compliance.

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Thank you! The way I am reading the law, seems like the hand guns do not need locked in the enclosed case?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , for Maryland.

Certain scenarios of Federal law for interstate do .

Of course , you may make your own decisions if you wish additional security beyond legal minimum.

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Awesome, thank you.

Hypothetical question, I understand part of the law concerns not being able to "reach" the item in question. For folks who have pick-ups with tonneau covers or caps, what do they do?

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Perhaps someone could update federal roadways such as GW and BW Parkways. This would be the U.S. Park Police jurdisdiction. I don't know the current laws.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If the destination is one of the approved locations , the statute only says

" Unloaded and Encased "
    Out of reach not mentioned

Check for yourself 4-203 (3) thru (4) has the same language for carry mode .

A holster with a strap , sitting on the seat next to you is * Legal * .

If you were to decide for yourself that a greater degree of discretion and security were Wise & Prudent , I would not try to dissuade you . But that's a different and very long discussion.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Perhaps someone could update federal roadways such as GW and BW Parkways. This would be the U.S. Park Police jurdisction. I don't know the current laws.

Lands administered by National Park Service ( and US Forest Service) default to the same carry laws as the surrounding State . ( Notwithstanding specific Federal rules for government buildings, localized rules for specific recreation facility , etc .)

But 8n general BW Pkwy follows Maryland law , and GW Pkwy follows VA law , except for the couple hundred yards by Teddy Roosevelt Island that pass through DC ( DC law there) .

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Lands administered by National Park Service ( and US Forest Service) default to the same carry laws as the surrounding State . ( Notwithstanding specific Federal rules for government buildings, localized rules for specific recreation facility , etc .)

But 8n general BW Pkwy follows Maryland law , and GW Pkwy follows VA law , except for the couple hundred yards by Teddy Roosevelt Island that pass through DC ( DC law there) .
    All of which is clearly marked with laser lines and explanatory illuminated signs, just for our benefit.

:sarcasm:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A brown paper bag counts as "encased."

You can hold it in your lap if you want to.

You may also make detours and stops while going to and from the range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #1 - Holster with a strap is specifically called out as OK in case law , and I'm not presently attempting to define the outer limits of " encased " .

#2 - Holds down the position in the gun related crazy/ hot matrix of be definitely Legal , while simultaneously the opposite of Wise .

#3 - 10% on one end is unambiguously blatantly Legal , 10% is blatantly obviously nowhere near plausibly compliant . ( Think going from home in Annapolis to Delmarva Sporting on ES , by way of closing down the bar in Deep Creek )

Where boundaries fall inbetween those extremes is ...... Ambiguous .

In a different context , I might offer sugguestions , but this thread is initially trying to keep to actual law .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I shouldn't go there , but ..

The brown paper bag part .

In Md case law , and as a common factor in other states , it is expected to have a positive means of closure , that requires a separate action to access the gun . A snap , zipper , buckle , tied thongs, etc . A common paper bag , with rolled or folded top by itself, not so much .

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I just put the pistols in a case or carry bag and the ammunition in another. I put them in the back seat of my truck and not in the bed where someone can grab them at a stop light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom