• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happydude

Mar 18, 2011
    Greetings All,
    I was reading the info concerning Scott's Gunsmithing and have been considering getting night sights for my rifles and pistols. Am I right in reading that whatever sights you use have to be purchased through them? If so, does that help in reducing their turnaround time? Also, is it a good idea to have a night sight put on a shotgun (Ithaca M37) that initially came with only a bead sight? Sorry to ask so many questions but in my reading I see that there appear to be two popular types of sights: Meprolight and Trijicon. Is one markedly superior to the other? As far as the types of firearms in question, they would be AK-47's manufactured by Century Arms (Courtesy of Shooter's Discount :) )and Glock 30SF's. Lastly, would there be any comparable gunsmiths located closer to Upper Marlboro, MD?

Happydude (Or Bob)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Bob,
    If im reading it right , you want to have Scott's install the sights? If so then i would say it is probably right and I think better to get the sights through Scott's. The reason i say this is when you let a shop handle something start to finish with the parts they purchased, f there is a issue down the road the shop is more likely to help you out then if you had brought in parts. Also Yes while you might save a few dollars, you hav to remember that Scott's like every other shop Needs to make a few dollars on what they sell in order to keep the doors open.
    Im not sure which is better of the two night nights, i have heard good things about both. I would venture to say its a matter of Opinion and will come down to who you talk to, but im sure guys who have them will be in shortly to tell you the pros and cons.
    Oh and Welcome to the board.:thumbsup:

Happydude

Mar 18, 2011
    Bob,
    If im reading it right , you want to have Scott's install the sights? If so then i would say it is probably right and I think better to get the sights through Scott's. The reason i say this is when you let a shop handle something start to finish with the parts they purchased, f there is a issue down the road the shop is more likely to help you out then if you had brought in parts. Also Yes while you might save a few dollars, you hav to remember that Scott's like every other shop Needs to make a few dollars on what they sell in order to keep the doors open.
    Im not sure which is better of the two night nights, i have heard good things about both. I would venture to say its a matter of Opinion and will come down to who you talk to, but im sure guys who have them will be in shortly to tell you the pros and cons.
    Oh and Welcome to the board.:thumbsup:

Thanks and I do want Scott's to install the sights. I don't mind a sizeable turnaround time either.

aCe.223

Mar 1, 2011
    Hagerstown
    I have 03 Trijicons on my G23 that have been on since new and are still just as bright as the day I put them on. I dont know anything about Meprolights.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I have Trijicons on my 23 and Mepro's on my M&P.... Both are bright as they were when put on (2 years ago). But I like the Mepro's better.

Seems like the Mepro's have a slightly larger dot. Also, I put yellow rear with Green fronts (mepro's) on my M&P and seems easier to acquire the target a little easier (maybe the contrast of the colors??)

I also have a set of yellow rear/green front mepro's on my 1911 (all beit that they are a little dimmer (6 1/2 years old) but still bright enough to aid in finding point of aim on a target.

Quality of both seems to be the same (more then adequate)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom