• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have a bunch of used 1911's from Colt Gold Cup National Match to the first Colt National Match in production, have S & W 357 Mags too...stop by and see if you can.
    Estate Brokers of Maryland
    137 N Washington St
    Havre de Grace, MD. 21078
    443-617-8400
    Open M-Sat 11-6pm
    I am a die hard 1911 fan!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You've picked two classics... sort of.

You can't go wrong with a 686 or a 1911. For semiauto, 1911 is my preference. I'd suggest going with a well-established 1911 maker (Springfield Armory, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Colt). If they started making them next week, you wouldn't buy a motorcycle from GM, would you? Go with someone who's been making them forever. (1911's had a big resurgence in popularity a while ago, and a BUNCH of gun companies just started making them recently)

Unless you're completely sold on 9mm, I'd consider a .45 with a .22 conversion. Economical to shoot, with a good HD round for home.

Oh, and BTW, Maryland says one gun every thirty days, or TWO guns every 60, so you could buy both at the same time.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For a first gun you can't beat 9mm, it costs about 1/2 of what 45 does, and the mild recoil will help you build good techniques. IMO, a 9mm 1911 is far from a sin, it is a demonstration of the versatility of a nearly 100 year old design, I have a couple 1911s, none in 45, and I have a few 45s, none are 1911s, so to each their own. As long as you get a reliable and quality 1911 in 9mm, it can be a great soft shooting and economic alternative to the original 45acp and 38 super chamberings. The 686 is also a good choice, it can fire relatively inexpensive 38 special(still more expensive than 9mm) or the powerful 357mag which it can handle fairly well, offering some versatility, and many new shooters find wheelguns easier to shoot well as the operation is simple, you also tend to take your time and shoot better with it being you only have 6 rounds, but a good trigger and good sights compared to a high capacity double stack auto that new shooters tend to shoot faser than their abilities allow. Both are more than capable of home defense duty assuming the 1911 is reliable with your choice of defensive ammo, and with modern 9mm+p loads you really are not at much of a disadvantage in firepower compared to larger service calibers.

The only issue is that decent 1911s are not cheap, and even a nice one may need some work to make it reliable especially in alternative chamberings. If it fits you then it can be a great pistol to learn with, although as GNLafrance said the Browning hi-power is a cousin to the 1911 with similar controls and a somilar grip angle that offers a few more rounds of capacity, and tends to be more reliable with 9mm for the same cost as a modest 9mm 1911. Then there are other double stack 9mm guns that are very reliable, affordable and nice to shoot that may fit you well, the CZ75, Sig 226/229, Beretta 92, M&P 9, XD/XD(M), GLOCK 17/19, and a host of others. They all have relative strengths and drawbacks, and a variety of grip shapes and modes of operation, shoot every type of pistol you can, and see what fits best, research problems, and make an informed decision.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While not a sin per se, historically 9mm 1911s had lots of reliability issues, and not that many olders ones out there, and serious Colt collectors are chasing genuine ones.
    Supposedly in the last cpl years redesigned mags have greatly improved situation, and 9mm 1911 do a a niche in certain competions..
    That said, for a newer shooter, would recommend getting a gun in a calabre it is "ment" for .
    So if you want a 1911 on purpose look at a .45acp ( or .38 Super, or 10mm ) .
    For 9mm on purpose, THE modern icon is Glock 17/19 . Or Sig, or XD, or CZ & quality clones, or Berretta 92/ Cougar/ PX4 , or S&W M&P or 4 digit, or etc . All all good quality, come done to what feels better in hand, and on trigger.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Shooters all,
    Thanks for all the advice. I have printed it out for reference. One of the things that attracks me to the 1911 is the look. It is visually appealing especially with exotic wood grips. I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but...
    Someone wrote to me about a Colt Gold Match 1911 I may take a look at.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, if something apeals to you , that is by all means a good starting point.
    If it is to be a using gun in addition to pride of ownership , be sure to test drive one to make sure it is usable "for you, in your hands".
    5 in steel is a good starting place. Unless you have a fetish for .38 Super, 9x23, or 10mm, just go with .45acp, and just consider the ammo situation part of the 1911 experience.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Shooters all,
    Thanks for all the advice. I have printed it out for reference. One of the things that attracks me to the 1911 is the look. It is visually appealing especially with exotic wood grips. I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but...

As you might surmise from the fact that we have to hold the things in our hands, guns are a highly subjective topic. Sometimes something WILL just call out to you like that. There wouldn't BE exotic wood grips if people didn't care how the things looked. A bunch of us wouldn't have sprung for carbon fiber 1911 grips with the forum logo a year or two ago either. :D

As long as you like the way it feels and shoots, it is perfectly fine to let aesthetics influence your decision.

At least that's what I tell myself when I look at my carbon fiber grips :cool:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Welcome to the forum and good luck in your new hobby/addiction. There're lots of deciding factors in choosing a gun, I definitely think visual appeal is a key factor along with feel, accuracy, cost, etc... So go with something that looks good and does all the other things you want.

I've always liked the history and visual appeal of 1911's, and for me that means in the original .45. I'd like to get a 9mm in the future and will probably go for one with some history or is classic like the High Power, or CZ 75. But that's all personal preference, so have fun!

EDIT: 1911 Carbon Fiber grips with the logo? I'll be trying my search skills for some pics!!

Steller

Dec 10, 2009
    Cockeysville
    I have a beretta 92 compact in 9mm. its easy to shoot, clean and understand. however like any of the top names youll pay 600+ dollars for a new one. All i can say about 45 so far ( i have a 45 but for some crazy reason i promised i wouldnt shoot it til the new baby comes and i can take the missus >.<) .. is that ive shot a glock 30? ( dunno not a glock fan) which is a sub compact plastic pistol in 45 and even so the recoil is a nice puuush motion that is quite manageable. tho for wwb at walmart it is 32 bucks for 100.

i say dont buy cheap( not saying dont try and save money buying used, no i meant a cheap gun)

dont buy something you havent fired, or know nothing about. pick a few possible pistols out then read read read on them , then rent one.

Steller

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom