• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack

Apr 14, 2013
    Hey guys, glad I've found more of a personal forum for shooters in my area!

Unfortunately I'm moving back to the county in a week after living in the awesome pro-gun state of North Carolina for a year. During this past year I had acquired several pistols and long guns in fear of never being able to get them after the political agendas. Then in late 2012 I had the misfortune of the same boating accident as some of you have had. Guns.... Gone

I'm pretty well aware of the laws in MD regarding transport and general ownership but one that I am curious of is, am I able to have a firearm with me at my girlfriends house and more importantly use it in self defense should an intruder present himself? This is of course after I buy another...

Sorry this intro is long winded, thanks in advance for the advice! Looking forward to contributing to the forum

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can have a gun at her house for self defense provided that you have permission. I strongly suggest getting written permission in the form of a signed and dated letter from her and storing the letter in a safe place at your house.

If you don't live at her house, then don't leave the gun there when you're not there since it can be construed (rightly so) as a straw purchase.

Mack

Apr 14, 2013
    Boom Boom, thank you for the detailed, concise response. I'll be sure to talk it over with her in the near future.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You're welcome. Happy to help. Welcome aboard, by the way.

On a side note, if she is at all interested in owning a handgun (assuming she's 21 or over) and doesn't own one yet, then now is the time to buy one. If she waits until October 1st, then she has to do the full training. If she buys any regulated gun now (even a 22LR Heritage Rough Rider to keep it cheap), then the training requirement is waived on future purchases after October 1st.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 159

Mack

Apr 14, 2013
    Thanks swinokur!

Does anyone know if tannerite is available in the sporting good stores around MD?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    If you don't live at her house, then don't leave the gun there when you're not there since it can be construed (rightly so) as a straw purchase.

That is incorrect. You may leave the gun there as long as you can demonstrate that it is a 'residence' - you live there on occasion. Or you leave it in a locked container you are the only person with a key to the container.

If there are children or other irresponsible adults that may gain access to the gun then you need to pick your securing mechanism accordingly.

FWIW - that container could be a soft sided case with a lock through the flimsy white metal zippers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom