• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bcjustin

Nov 27, 2023
    California MD
    I bought a cleaning kit with my P365X and it came with a variety of things, however I’m not clear on when I should be using the pen style oil versus the grease. Any help here? Maybe they aren’t even supposed to accomplish the same thing?

IMG_7291.jpeg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I bought a cleaning kit with my P365X and it came with a variety of things, however I’m not clear on when I should be using the pen style oil versus the grease. Any help here? Are they even the same thing?

View attachment 443144
    Use oil for the whole thing. You can use grease if you really want to, but not much benefit on a polymer striker fired (or most modern guns), IMO.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Oil on things that rotate, trigger pins, etc.
    Grease on things that slide……slide rails, slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Grease for sliding parts on rifles yes. I only put oil on my handguns though.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Someone on YouTube said he likes grease on his carry handgun due to it not running down into his clothes. Is this not an issue if you don’t overdo it?

I've never had problems with just oil. I wipe it dry after cleaning and it's never leaked or dripped any. I'm just a little concerned grease might stick too much on handguns with their lower power ammo that it'd cause problems when I need it

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I would also go with just oil on your 365x. I carry the same firearm and have never had an issue with oil running all over the place even when it was hot out and I was sweating like a pig. Just apply oil on the barrel, locking lug area, a little around the fire control group, some on the rails, some on the recoils spring, anywhere you see shiny metal wearing. Wipe up any excess and call is good.

Look in your manual, I seem to remember a section of the slide they say NOT to lube. I think it has to do with the firing pin channel. You want to keep that basically dry.

On hammer fired guns, I use some grease on the ‘hammer parts’, sear, pins, hammer, etc. just a touch.

I also would not grease the rails of a semi-auto pistol. Just enough oil to protect and give some lubrication. I also fear geese causing too much drag. But I submit to others that have done it for years without issue.

Now on a range gun, they are usually pretty wet with oil and not cleaned all the time. Just a quick wipe-down and more lube. When I say wet I mean you can clearly see the oil with some running out of pin holes and stuff. Not gushing but wetter than my carry gun.

I’m not sure what oil that is in your pic but a higher viscosity oil won’t run like a thinner one and will have more ‘staying power’. I typically use Breakfree CLP or Lucas gun oil recently. Any quality synthetic gun oil is fine for most people. Some people just use motor oil.

Last edited:

Bcjustin

Nov 27, 2023
    California MD
    I would also go with just oil on your 365x. I carry the same firearm and have never had an issue with oil running all over the place even when it was hot out and I was sweating like a pig. Just apply oil on the barrel, locking lug area, a little around the fire control group, some on the rails, some on the recoils spring, anywhere you see shiny metal wearing. Wipe up any excess and call is good.

Look in your manual, I seem to remember a section of the slide they say NOT to lube. I think it has to do with the firing pin channel. You want to keep that basically dry.

On hammer fired guns, I use some grease on the ‘hammer parts’, sear, pins, hammer, etc. just a touch.

I also would not grease the rails of a semi-auto pistol. Just enough oil to protect and give some lubrication. I also fear geese causing too much drag. But I submit to others that have done it for years without issue.

Now on a range gun, they are usually pretty wet with oil and not cleaned all the time. Just a quick wipe-down and more lube. When I say wet I mean you can clearly see the oil with some running out of pin holes and stuff. Not gushing but wetter than my carry gun.

I’m not sure what oil that is in your pic but a higher viscosity oil won’t run like a thinner one and will have more ‘staying power’. I typically use Breakfree CLP or Lucas gun oil recently. Any quality synthetic gun oil is fine for most people. Some people just use motor oil.
    Ok great, thanks for this info! That is something called Weapon Shield which was highly recommended to me by the owner of Flat Broke Shooters in St Mary’s. He said that’s all he uses so I grabbed that. I’ve heard good things about Breakfree as well.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Grease tends to stay put better than oil. I’ve used grease on my pistols for over 15 years and never an issue.
    Same thing for a carry pistol.

Bcjustin

Nov 27, 2023
    California MD
    Grease tends to stay put better than oil. I’ve used grease on my pistols for over 15 years and never an issue.

Ok got it. Well now I have a good idea of where to use both so I feel like I can at the least experiment with what works best for me. Thanks!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

IMO, this is ultimately another 9 vs. 45 debate when it comes to lubing a handgun. For modern handguns, both approaches accomplish the same end. Even dry lubes have a good track record at this point. Hell, I've used Eezox on most of my handguns over the last 5 years (excluding 1911s and revolvers) with no additional wear or other issues noted in that time.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Ok great, thanks for this info! That is something called Weapon Shield which was highly recommended to me by the owner of Flat Broke Shooters in St Mary’s. He said that’s all he uses so I grabbed that. I’ve heard good things about Breakfree as well.

OK cool. I’ve heard of it but never tried it.

But like you mentioned, you will have to do some experimenting and decide what you like, how much to use, etc.

If you are like a lot of shooters and you just have to try this or that, you’ll probably end up with a bin full of cleaning and lubing products only to realize you only use one or two anymore.

But maybe what you got will meet all your needs and you can call it good and save a lot of money.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Oil on things that rotate, trigger pins, etc.
    Grease on things that slide……slide rails, slide

^This

..and just use sparingly. Just don’t do like the some folks here do; and run it like you recovered it from the Exxon Valdez oil slick (excessively lubricated). :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom