• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silent Scope

Dec 12, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Hey everyone, I'm looking to start taking part in competitive shooting events in the area. I'm interested in having fun, and have grown tired of static range shooting. I'm trying to gain some insight on local competitions for IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun. I live in Rockville, MD and I'm not familiar with any comps or ranges around me. My current setup for competitions would be stock Glock 19(I have a 34 on order), AR, Mossberg 590. So far I don't have any equipment other than magazines. I'm also a broke college student and don't want to waste money buying things more than once. I'm looking at doing this as a hobby, not really to be competitive or attend every match, I would probably like to attend about once a month. Any answers to the following questions would be helpful, thanks guys.

Where do most people from the area compete?
    Do I need any training to be eligible to compete?
    Are there any good dynamic training courses in the area?
    How much does a competition typically cost?
    How often do most of you compete?
    What mag/holster setups are popular?
    Any holster and mag holster suggestions for the Glock?
    Any mag pouch, vest or belt suggestions for the AR?
    What optics combos do you like? I'm looking at an Eotech or Aimpoint with a magnifier.
    Does anyone compete with an AK-74, is steel ammo always prohibited?
    Where do you shop for ammo?
    How much ammo do you typically go through in a year?
    Why hasn't anyone made a FAQ sticky for this?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what are you doing saturday? peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) north of Winchester, is having morning and afternoon IDPA pistol matches. i normally run a squad and will show you all the ropes. we have brand new guys every time. glock 19 will be fine, any normal holster will work. same with mag holders (can even use back pocket). if you need a holster and/or mag pouches i can bring for you to use.

look thru this Competition tab and you will see plenty of invitations for idpa, uspsa, 3 gun, etc and the places we shoot them. also gear and related discussions.

idpa/uspsa/3 gun events range from $20-30 for the entry fees. some of the big national matches can be 10x that.

i try to hit every match i can so am shooting one or both days most weekends.

holsters are a little personal. zero cant kydex (blackhawk, bladetech, comptac) are used most often in competition. for idpa i use a super cheap fobus double mag pouch and normally a serpa holster. for uspsa i generally use bladetech doh holster and bladetech single mag pouches on a dedicated belt. use the same setup for 3gun but use serpa so my handgun doesn't fly out when on the run or going prone. i use a bladetech mag pouch for an extra AR mag, and then shell caddies for the shotgun rounds. i wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of stuff, just come bare-bones and see what folks are using so you can make an informed decision.

i have and like trijicon 1-4 with green dot. at some 3 guns we shoot out to 300 and further so i need the magnification and wish i could afford a good 1-6.

steel-cased ammo is not prohibited, it's steel core ammo that is prohibited - they say if a magnet will pick up the bullet it is not allowed.

i get ammo online or at gun shows, generally in case quantities.

plan on 2-3 boxes of pistol ammo per idpa or uspsa event. 3 gun will have maybe 100 rifle, 50 shot and 100 pistol but i would bring 2x that just to be safe.

visit the idpa and uspsa websites to get acquainted with the rules. the big ones cover safety issues. gun stays in the bag until you find (ask) a designated SAFE area to holster it. gun stays completely empty until you are called to the line and the range officer tells you to 'make ready.' muzzle is always pointed downrange, even when running from side to side. finger is off trigger unless you are taking a shot. just go real slow your first match until you get good accuracy, then you can speed up. let the range officer on each stage know you're the new guy and they will let you go last so you can see what everyone else is doing. you help paste targets and reset steel every time, unless you just shot or you are next to shoot.

good luck, it's a lotta fun!

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    If you are up for the drive, York IWLA, just 10 min up Rt 83 from the Pa state line offers action shooting for the novice to the master in pistol to multigun. We LOVE nube's, you are our future. May I suggest our monthly funshoots for starters, to be quickly followed by our monthly action matches. We are on slow mode thru the winter, but weather depending we will do a few things each month, guaranteed to be fun, and new shooter friendly. Give us a shout (email) and show up with what you got and we will take it from there.

Stay tuned to www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com for details of coming events.

g

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Hey everyone, I'm looking to start taking part in competitive shooting events in the area. I'm interested in having fun, and have grown tired of static range shooting. I'm trying to gain some insight on local competitions for IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun. I live in Rockville, MD and I'm not familiar with any comps or ranges around me. My current setup for competitions would be stock Glock 19(I have a 34 on order), AR, Mossberg 590. So far I don't have any equipment other than magazines. I'm also a broke college student and don't want to waste money buying things more than once. I'm looking at doing this as a hobby, not really to be competitive or attend every match, I would probably like to attend about once a month. Any answers to the following questions would be helpful, thanks guys.

the club i belong to.. sanners lake sportsmans club
    no.. but i guess depending which club the match is at
    just do one of the idpa or uspsa match
    depending on the hosting club.. $15 for idpa.. $25/30 for uspsa (non members)
    just about every weekend for me
    bladetech or comptac (sp?) but ive been using the xdm holster that came with my gun and blackhawk
    see my post above
    safariland for cheaper ones..bladetech and others make them too.
    What optics combos do you like? I'm looking at an Eotech or Aimpoint with a magnifier.
    have used sparc on mine and it does the job..
    walmart or online.. but i reload mine
    dont tell the wife... toooo many :o
    i havent seen one..but just jump in the waters and its lots of fun

:)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Per the AK-74 question. No its mag catch system while very solid and reliable is slow as all get out compared to an AR. So can you yes. But if you're like me and enjoy being competitive as possible then I'd stick to an AR.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Per the AK-74 question. No its mag catch system while very solid and reliable is slow as all get out compared to an AR. So can you yes. But if you're like me and enjoy being competitive as possible then I'd stick to an AR.

Solid info! I've never competed but I agree. Under timed/stressful conditions I'd much rather have to reload an AR over an AK.

Silent Scope

Dec 12, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the offer davsco and all the info, unfortunately I have duty for the Army Reserve this weekend. Let me know if you plan on attending next month and I'll take you up on that offer if it doesn't conflict with my Reserve obligation.

Thanks iwlafsmd, I signed up for the email roster.

What is the lightest/cheapest shotgun load that is usable for 3-gun?
    What is the average longest Pistol target engagement distances at any of the comps?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

I shoot club matches at mine in Frederick, the Monocacy Pistol Club. I shoot IDPA at Thurmont CSC and Peacemaker, USPSA at Thurmont, Summit Point and Peacemaker, 3-gun at Summit Point and Peacemaker. Throw York and Fredericksburg in as options.
    No, but getting some from current shooters can help eliminate the rough edges.
    Peacemaker mainly
    MPC club steel matches $5 non-members. All the other club sanctioned cost $15-30
    Every weekend I can and usually both days
    Depends on the game. I have everything from full race holsters to concealed type.
    Fobus, Blackhawk, Bladetech, lots of brands.
    Safariland makes some nice AR mag holders as do some others.
    While those are still popular to some extent most are transitioning to 1-6x type scopes because the longer range targets are getting longer all the time.
    AK is fine if you just want to compete but no one above the club level will use one because they are too slow and have less long range accuracy.
    Walmarts, Cheaper Than Dirt, MidwayUSA, Sportsman's Guide, lots of places. When you need something you get it where you can or make it yourself.
    I only recently started 3-gun but I likely reload 1k-2k per year for my pistols
    Lots of other places to find this info out like Brian Enos's site, AR15.com, and several others.

Check the Monocacy Pistol Club site in Frederick, we have steel matches almost every weekend day the first 3 weekends of the month. Good start for practice for USPSA and IDPA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom