• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Reloading wise - a 30 caliber is going to give you more bullet options - alot more! .308 brass is very common, and fairly inexpensive -since it is a military round, there is a good surplus of it around. 300 Win Mag is a tad pricey - and will probably give you less loadings -since it is more of a high pressure round. The reloading guides I have suggest full length resizing the 300 Win Mag - although neck sizers are out there for it. I think the intent of that is for dangerous game, and the need to make sure the case/rounds loads in the chamber without issues.

I am considereing a .308 myself - but in a handgun form for my Encore. I'm in the market for a 1911 45 ACP first though - so may be next years project.

MBW

Aug 5, 2011
    Mineral County WV
    man the 1911 is awesome....I think I am going to look at the 308. I have found two rifles I am leaning towards. The Savage 12 lrp or the DPMS Panther with the 24' bull barrel. I got to fire the savage and liked it, I think it will be a tad more accurate because it is a bolt action, the DPMS is auto, but I want to fire it before I decided. Both are available in the .308

Jan 24, 2010
    Frederick
    Welcome from Frederick. Keep us posted on the rifle purchase. I am in the same boat, I keep thinking something has to be better than .308 as so many new or different cartridges are out there. After weighing accuracy vs. economy I just can't seem to get away from it for my next rifle purchase.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Welcome from Howard County..... I travel to the Lake area 3-5 times a year (relatives live on Lake Shore).... Usually shoot at the Savage River Range when up... Where is the Chestnut Range I read about in the second post to this thread?? Like I said, welcome aboard.. Lots of good people and info. here.

MBW

Aug 5, 2011
    Mineral County WV
    Welcome from Frederick. Keep us posted on the rifle purchase. I am in the same boat, I keep thinking something has to be better than .308 as so many new or different cartridges are out there. After weighing accuracy vs. economy I just can't seem to get away from it for my next rifle purchase.
    Your right we're both in the same boat. I'll post it once I make a purchase.

MBW

Aug 5, 2011
    Mineral County WV
    Welcome from Howard County..... I travel to the Lake area 3-5 times a year (relatives live on Lake Shore).... Usually shoot at the Savage River Range when up... Where is the Chestnut Range I read about in the second post to this thread?? Like I said, welcome aboard.. Lots of good people and info. here.
    I agree, I have been very impressed with this site and the members, Lots of great folks.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Accuracy is going to be much better with a bolt. If thats what your after - Id go with a bolt action. Also reloading - the bolt is going to give you less headaches, and more friendly on your brass. You will also get more loadings with a bolt, since you can neck size the brass on a bolt. Semi auto - must be full sized to ensure it chambers freely. Neck sizing will yield you better accuracy, and makes the case last much longer!

Funny thing I was looking through the local yellow pages the other day and ran into the listing for Storm Mountain you spoke of.

There phone number and addy is:

Pinnacle Rd , Elk Garden WV

304-446-5526

There is no listed address number - but Im sure a phone call would set it straight.

MBW

Aug 5, 2011
    Mineral County WV
    Accuracy is going to be much better with a bolt. If thats what your after - Id go with a bolt action. Also reloading - the bolt is going to give you less headaches, and more friendly on your brass. You will also get more loadings with a bolt, since you can neck size the brass on a bolt. Semi auto - must be full sized to ensure it chambers freely. Neck sizing will yield you better accuracy, and makes the case last much longer!

Funny thing I was looking through the local yellow pages the other day and ran into the listing for Storm Mountain you spoke of.

There phone number and addy is:

Pinnacle Rd , Elk Garden WV

304-446-5526

There is no listed address number - but Im sure a phone call would set it straight.
    That is funny, here is their web site.

www.stormmountain.com

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Here's another welcome aboard from a Deep Creek local, Woody. Earlier this year we finally relocated to our Deep Creek vacation home we've had for 12 years to make it our main place to be.

One of these days I know I'll finally meet other local folks like Deep Creek Rock, buff7mm and Wagtail FTF.

Hey Wagtail, where exactly is Oakland Sang Run Sports Shop? That's someplace I'd like to visit and it can't be far from me.

Again, welcome aboard Woody. This forum is a terrific place with many very good regulars chiming in with good info.

Joe

Nov 23, 2010
    Storm Mountain does have a good program out there in WV.
    http://www.stormmountain.com/
    The main instructor/owner is Rod Ryan. Former military/police sniper.
    He has a no BS attitude and does a great job sorting through all the rumors and crap you read on the forums. Lots of military experience among the staff.

The range there is pretty good, out to 1100m, but not very flat. Good for training elevation shooting.
    A lot of times the wind is difficult to predict, which makes for a realistic training environment.

Long range rifle is strictly shooting technique.
    Sniper course is more challenging, sleep in the bunk house on the range and get woken up for night ops. Be ready for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom