• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I do see your logic. I feel compelled to buy an M1A just because they don't want us to have it. Why? I ask.
    The questions becomes how many do I need and does that "want" deserve scratching. You could make the argument that the M1A could bring home the bacon as well.

I assume you mean "deer" bacon.
    There are 6 million people in Maryland. And about 240,000 deer.

You might get one!

No disrespect though - I'd like an M1A as well someday.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I assume you mean "deer" bacon.
    There are 6 million people in Maryland. And about 240,000 deer.

You might get one!

No disrespect though - I'd like an M1A as well someday.

I do. Unfortunately O'Malley has turned someday into "someday before Oct 1 2013." An attempt at justifying it beyond just the want.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    3K should cover your move to a free state quite nicely. Then you can save for as long as you need to and buy whatever you like. Just my opinion.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    3K should cover your move to a free state quite nicely. Then you can save for as long as you need to and buy whatever you like. Just my opinion.

Yeah, $3k would not even cover the cost of the movers for me. Unless a person can sell his house on his own, like I did a little over 2 years ago, the realtor charges 6%. On a $500,000 house that is $30,000. Then, you will most likely have to pay transfer and recordation fees for the house you buy in another state.

Yep, $3,000 might cover the cost of moving when you own hardly anything and do not own the place you are living in. Once life gets more complicated than just renting a 2 bedroom condo, $3,000 hardly covers any of the expense of moving, much less the emotional expense. When we moved a little over 2 years ago, I told my wife we will die in this house. Then, along came the 2012 elections and SB281 and I no longer have any desire to live here past the last child finishing grade school. Think it might take a miracle to change my mind over the next 18 years, but who knows.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The problem we have is we have a house we are under water on and we cant afford to sell it.

Now that sucks. I have a decent number of clients that are in that situation, and it sucks. Only reason we weren't in that situation a little over 2 years ago is because in 2004 I refused to buy a single family home when we were looking at houses. I received some grief about it for the entire 7 years we were there, but now I am "brilliant". There is one thing I have learned over the past 15 years, and that is not to follow the herd. My wife keeps telling me we were lucky we did what we did or we would still be in Germantown stuck in a house in a place we didn't want to be with her having a commute she hated and our kids going to schools we did not want them to go to.

We bought a decent foreclosure for almost $200k less than it sold for in 2005, and that is part of my "brilliance" because we spent 3 years looking for the right house. Kind of weird not looking at houses anymore.

Hope you get the mortgage turned around on that house soon.

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    What would you buy? Pretend you don't currently don't have any guns at all please and if you can keep it in easy to read for a non-gunner that would be much appreciated.
    One fully built AR Colt LE 6920 or LT6720 and 2-3 AR-15 Lowers and a nice AK. They will be essentially illegal after 10/2013. All pistols will still be legal as long as only 10rd mag.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Now that sucks. I have a decent number of clients that are in that situation, and it sucks. Only reason we weren't in that situation a little over 2 years ago is because in 2004 I refused to buy a single family home when we were looking at houses. I received some grief about it for the entire 7 years we were there, but now I am "brilliant". There is one thing I have learned over the past 15 years, and that is not to follow the herd. My wife keeps telling me we were lucky we did what we did or we would still be in Germantown stuck in a house in a place we didn't want to be with her having a commute she hated and our kids going to schools we did not want them to go to.

We bought a decent foreclosure for almost $200k less than it sold for in 2005, and that is part of my "brilliance" because we spent 3 years looking for the right house. Kind of weird not looking at houses anymore.

Hope you get the mortgage turned around on that house soon.

We werent exactly following the herd. We had both just got out of college had a kid on the way and had decent jobs. We were a little concerned about being priced out of the market if we didn't buy and I would say about 10 months after we bought....POP!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We werent exactly following the herd. We had both just got out of college had a kid on the way and had decent jobs. We were a little concerned about being priced out of the market if we didn't buy and I would say about 10 months after we bought....POP!

Most people were buying because they thought they would never be able to buy with prices going the way they were. I know we felt that way too. However, the entire reason we did NOT buy the house we wanted was because I felt like prices were ridiculous. Whenever you have to worry about being priced out of the market and you have decent jobs, you have to stop and think about what is going on.

I'm an attorney/CPA and my wife is a pharmacist. We both have graduate degrees and make "decent" money. The single family homes we were looking at in Germantown/Darnestown were $650,000 and the loan we would have needed was insane. So, I turned to my fiance and said "Something is seriously wrong when you and I need to eat beans and rice to afford a single family home. We aren't going to do it. Prices cannot continue going like this and they will plateau soon, maybe even decrease slightly." I even showed her the math that even if we lost $10K on our townhouse, we would save $20k on a single family home. Granted, never expected the downturn we got and we lost $33k on our townhouse, or $70k if you want to include the remodeling we did. However, we saved $190k on a single family home.

Granted, we did not have a kid on the way, but we were planning on having kids within a year or two of getting married. Our drop dead date for being out of the townhouse was 8 years when we bought it because we knew our first kid would be around school age by then. So, we put $1k a month extra toward principle. Imagine that amount over 7 years, which is when we ended up moving. It also took us three (3) years of searching for a home to finally find the one we bought.

Had a similar discussion with a friend of mine in 2005. He had bought in 2001 and had a ton of equity, but he used it to buy other things. When I told him my wife and I were paying down the 6 1/4% mortgage, he told me that I was crazy and there was no way he wanted to give his extra cash to the mortgage company. So, he went and bought rental property in Vegas. As you can imagine, that did not turn out so well. He had to walk away from that property and take a ding to his credit.

It is almost like buying assault weapons and handguns right now. Panic/fear buying is never a good thing. So, I am trying to take deep breaths and do plenty of research before breaking out the credit card, and I am trying to stay within a budget (i.e., my budget for the stand alone garage that I was going to build this year). I'll admit though, that I am panicking a little. Granted, not enough yet to open a 0% credit card, but thinking about it. Almost bought an M1A and Desert Eagle .44 the other day and then said "Self, before this entire SB281 fiasco, you never wanted one of them to begin with. Don't buy just to buy now."

Finally, after hearing about how my kids needed a lawn, we needed to move to a better area, etc. from my parents and in-laws, it is good to finally hear "you got lucky". Finally good to see that my conservative nature actually panned out. Of course, I don't think too much luck was involved, but I'll let them continue to say that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    After reading this post, Thank God Im only here for 3 years, although moving back to MA isnt much better.....

Yeah, I wouldn't think a move anywhere in the northeast is much, if any, of an improvement from Maryland. Looks like I am stuck here for 18 years, but looking forward to a retirement in the mid west somewhere, or maybe Texas. Depends on what my kids do. If they all stay here, God help me.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Still a little confused. Am I correct in saying when I get my collector status I will be able to buy a gun today, three tomorrow, one a week form now and say one 1.5 months from now and then I will be able to take possession say 70 days from now, the three of them 70 days plus 1 day from now, 70 days plus one week from now and 70 days plus 1.5 months from now?

Moving from Maryland? I wish (I was born and raised in Texas) but this is where my job is, this is where the wifes job is; it is what it is I guess is the best way to say it even though I hate that saying.

Called MSAR and my application didn't go in until 3/4 (my fault, forgot to call the back with my MSP gun class cert number) so hoping to hear back from them here shortly so I can go shopping again!!

Thanks again for the newbie help!!

Yes

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Still a little confused. Am I correct in saying when I get my collector status I will be able to buy a gun today, three tomorrow, one a week form now and say one 1.5 months from now and then I will be able to take possession say 70 days from now, the three of them 70 days plus 1 day from now, 70 days plus one week from now and 70 days plus 1.5 months from now?

Moving from Maryland? I wish (I was born and raised in Texas) but this is where my job is, this is where the wifes job is; it is what it is I guess is the best way to say it even though I hate that saying.

Called MSAR and my application didn't go in until 3/4 (my fault, forgot to call the back with my MSP gun class cert number) so hoping to hear back from them here shortly so I can go shopping again!!

Thanks again for the newbie help!!

Yep, once you have the Designated Collector approval, the 30 day wait between picking up regulated firearms no longer matters. I put in paperwork on 3 regulated firearms the other day, and will be picking up all 3 of them on the same day once I receive approval for them. 70 days might be wishful thinking nowadays since my 2/26 application took 64 days.

madstylez

Sep 27, 2010
    Can you tell me if The Ruger mini 14 is on the list? I'd like to get one. It's just a question of money and timing.

Only the Mini 14 with the folding stock is on the list. The non-folder is cash & carry and shouldn't be affected by SB281.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Man, $3k didn't cut it for me. I've added a bunch since December. I still have many I want to get but I narrowed it to truly banned guns. I'd still like to get:

PS90
    Arsenal AK47
    A few stripped lowers

I may have to suck it up and get the license after the 1st because I was shown a Wilson Combat 1911 that matches my W.C AR15 that I have coming, but the cost alone isn't doable right now. Plus, in the end I will continue supporting my local IPs so as much as it pains me to say, my buying will continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom