• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just ordered an XDM 5.25 9mm for my new 3 gun habit. I am told that I will want to upgrade the trigger to a Powder River Precision.

I only want to do this one time. Can anyone share their experience with these triggers and which one I should order. Not too concerned about the $40 difference in cost and my skills are such that I can do the minor gunsmithing myself.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/category.sc?categoryId=33

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have the PRP ultimate match trigger kit in my 5.25 for USPSA. Wasn't hard to fit the trigger or sear. It was a big improvement over stock.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have their first kit in my Early XD(M), have done a few more, but not the Extreme, all are good, IMO the Ultimate easyfit is the easierst and best for the money, much shorter takeup, overtravel about 4# decently crisp break along with some polishing of the factory pieces it's a good pull. The Ultimate match basically adds their improved sear for $35, and requires a little more fitting, very subtle difference, but a little crisper break. I'm not a fan of reducing striker spring weights, or going so light that the trigger lacks a distinct feel.

Last edited:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have the PRP ultimate match trigger kit in my 5.25 for USPSA. Wasn't hard to fit the trigger or sear. It was a big improvement over stock.

I have the same trigger in the same pistol, and like it very much. Big fan of PRP, and have their trigger kits in all my Springfields, along with extended mag releases (this changes the pistol classification in IDPA, not sure about USPSA).

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The Ultimate match basically adds their improved striker for $35, and requires a little more fitting, very subtle difference, but a little crisper break. I'm not a fan of reducing striker spring weights, or going so light that the trigger lacks a distinct feel.

When you say "improved striker", are you referring to the sear? If so, it looks like they want $55 for it alone. Might be worth the extra $35??

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    When you say "improved striker", are you referring to the sear? If so, it looks like they want $55 for it alone. Might be worth the extra $35??

Yes the sear, thanks, posted earlier from the phone and didn't catch it

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    While I don't shoot XDs I have installed a few of the PRP kits for friends and they all came out well. The best trigger IMHO is the Springer precision kit. I installed one and messed it up so bad we had to send the gun back to Springer. The end result was the best striker fired trigger I have ever felt. The down side is after shipping both ways the cost is over $250. While you can do it yourself its doubtful you will have as good of results as the folks who do a dozen a day.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have both the PRP Ultimate, and the Springer Precisison kits on 2 different XDMs. Both are very good, but the PRP kit utilizes an over travel stop on the back of the replacement trigger. There was one hub bun about IDPA ruling that mod took you out of SSP. People still argue it. The Springer Precisison kit doesn't use the external stop, but rather you fit the internal trigger connector in a way that creates an internal stop. If you have reasonable mechanical skill it shouldn't be a big deal. Took me about 45 minutes with excellent results. If I was buying another kit it would be the Springer but the PRP is also recommended.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    While I don't shoot XDs I have installed a few of the PRP kits for friends and they all came out well. The best trigger IMHO is the Springer precision kit. I installed one and messed it up so bad we had to send the gun back to Springer. The end result was the best striker fired trigger I have ever felt. The down side is after shipping both ways the cost is over $250. While you can do it yourself its doubtful you will have as good of results as the folks who do a dozen a day.

Interesting - You are the first person I have heard say that about the Springer precision kit. Anybody else have experience with those?

As for the install, it all seems pretty easy provided that you follow the instructions and are not in a rush. Besides, it is part of the fun as far as I am concerned. If I screw something up, then I will have to pay someone to fix it.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Got the XDm 5.25 last Friday and received the PRP Ultimate Match Trigger Kit this afternoon. Just finished installing it, which admittedly took longer than expected. I took my time and made sure that I did not remove too much materiel from the trigger over travel stop or sear. I must have taken it apart and put it back together at least 20 times.

Range report tomorrow.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Once you think you have it right do the freezer test. You might not have reviewed enough over travel stop for cold weather.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Unload and put it in the freezer for about 2 hours and then when you pull it out make sure the trigger will still draw back enough to release the striker. I found out the hard way shooting a cold weather match

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Unload and put it in the freezer for about 2 hours and then when you pull it out make sure the trigger will still draw back enough to release the striker. I found out the hard way shooting a cold weather match

Didn't even take two hours of freezing to figure out that I needed to take more off. I think I will carry a small file around with me in my range bag.

Unfortunately, I am not done with this trigger yet. While the travel and take up have been greatly reduced, the pull is still between 4 - 4.5 lbs. I was expecting it to be closer to 3.5 lbs and so I guess I have some polishing and/or spring replacing to do.

Suggestions? Replace Striker Safety Spring? Polish the portion of the striker that comes in contact with the sear?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I emailed PRP and told them that I was a little disappointed with the 4+ lb trigger pull. They put a reduced power striker spring and striker safety spring in the mail for me (complimentary) the next day. I received it yesterday and now I am at 3.25 lbs. It is perfect and I am very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom