New upcoming book on Vietnam bring back weapons!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Sounds really cool. I'd love to see a history of all the bring backs/war trophies from WW1 on. I know some old MG's made it through.
    I have a WWII bring back book that will be completed shortly after the Nam book is printed. Thanks for you interest!
    WW BB Cover.png

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Thanks again for the interest everyone! After posting in a few forums, I'm up to 60 copies so far. My friend has a Facebook group on bring backs and made a post there so I'm sure there will be plenty more.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I have enjoyed your detailed stories on bring backs this forum. Linking the gun with the veteran has been very interesting. I'm sure the book with not disappoint. I'm in.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Thanks and all copies will be signed.

Doctor_M sure I would be willing to a meet up!

A little background on myself. I'm a retired firefighter (36 years) and have previously written a few non-fiction fire service related books. I've always been interested in military history especially since many of my family members served so I decided to write one on a subject matter that has not been explored much. I am an average writer but my gift is to gather and present information in an interesting manner. For those interested here is a video of me in 2010 being interviewed about one of my books on Chicago's WGN midday news.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    While on this topic found this on another forum. Sad story from a Cali vet who brought back a SKS and had issues with Gov...

• m151mp
    Posted June 8, 2016
    i guess this is the right place for this topic. in 1970 i came back from the nam with a captured SKS. i brought back all the papers, and shortly after, in the mail, came an export license from the gov't of south vietnam. i have carefully preserved all of the papers, and the rifle, for the day when my death would send this to my only son. now california has placed this on the banned weapons list, and they have told me there is no exception for passing down family owned heirlooms of this type, and the circumstances are irrelevant. i'm sure many of you are as disappointed as i am, for i'm certainly not the only old guy here, in similar circumstances. given this problem, and my advancing age, i decided to part with this, and this week i shipped it to a collector from this forum. i did not foresee this all those years ago, and as such, had no idea how to go about it. he made it very straight forward, provided all the assistance he could, and the tracking numbers and shipper, have told me he should get it on friday. this feels like i have closed a very distinct chapter of my life. california has jabbed me in the eye with a very sharp stick.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    While on this topic found this on another forum. Sad story from a Cali vet who brought back a SKS and had issues with Gov...

• m151mp
    Posted June 8, 2016
    i guess this is the right place for this topic. in 1970 i came back from the nam with a captured SKS. i brought back all the papers, and shortly after, in the mail, came an export license from the gov't of south vietnam. i have carefully preserved all of the papers, and the rifle, for the day when my death would send this to my only son. now california has placed this on the banned weapons list, and they have told me there is no exception for passing down family owned heirlooms of this type, and the circumstances are irrelevant. i'm sure many of you are as disappointed as i am, for i'm certainly not the only old guy here, in similar circumstances. given this problem, and my advancing age, i decided to part with this, and this week i shipped it to a collector from this forum. i did not foresee this all those years ago, and as such, had no idea how to go about it. he made it very straight forward, provided all the assistance he could, and the tracking numbers and shipper, have told me he should get it on friday. this feels like i have closed a very distinct chapter of my life. california has jabbed me in the eye with a very sharp stick.
    Why does anyone who loves freedom stay in California?

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Hi everyone,
    I have an update on the book. I had planned on getting it to the printer by mid-month but a last minute submission will delay it by a week or so. I have an opportunity to add a full automatic weapon to the book. Its a French MAT 49 that was brought back and amnesty registered in 1968. The man who brought in back retired as a two star general! The same vet also has two firearm patents from 1969 &1970.

Special Operations Weapon
    Issued January 1, 1970 United States Forgotten
    select fire (semi or full auto) 12 ga combat shotgun, box fed, 10-20 rounds, gas operated, break open for insertion of extra long members of a family of ammunition for multitude of functions. Patent issued to me while a employee of US Navy

50 round magazine for M-16 rifle
    Issued January 1, 1969 United States Forgotten
    large capacity magazine to feed ammunition flawlessly to the M-16 rifle reciprocating bolt via a dual constant force spring system. Patent issued while an employee of US Navy

The MAT 49 was featured on Youtube a few years comparing it to the S&W M76. Here is the video and the history of the gun is at the 10 minute mark.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Book is done I'm currently getting some quotes from book printing companies. It showcases 48 veterans and other weapons brought home from unnamed veterans. Its 320 pages now!

I'm trying to decide how many copies to get printed. The more you get printed the cheaper they are.

I have around 150-200 pre-orders right now and I was going to do 250 initially but now thinking 500-1K. Honestly, I've showed the book to a few people and they love it so I think it will take off.

Its not cheap to get a book printed. I'm looking at around 10K for 250 (42 a copy includes shipping/taxes) or 17K for 500 (34 a copy sh/taxes)). If I have 1K printed overseas it probably will be 20K plus (around 22 a copy). I have to also buy shipping boxes on top of all this. Either way a nice sum of money to come up with! I really don't want to collect any money in advance in case any issues arise but I might have to. I would prefer to have a US company do the job but its much cheaper overseas.

Getting close everyone. Thanks for your patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom