• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gjohnsonoc

Feb 18, 2013
    OCMD
    I'm looking for a good solid EDC folding knife at most $85. I dont want to break the bank its a first wanna get my feet wet. MD legal ofcourse relible I've watched reviews but in MDS I trust. It will be used for whatever comes my way.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Cold Steel American Lawman

Ontario RAT-1

Victorinox Swiss Army Farmer

Any CASE stockman or trapper you can afford if you prefer made in the USA.

Any folding knife in Maryland is legal, as long as it is not auto-opening. Switchblades and butterfly knives are illegal. Spring assisted knives and flippers are legal. There is no size restriction in Maryland.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For $85 there are more solid EDC knives than you can shake a stick at.

My nephew carried a half serrated CRKT M16 during a deployment to Iraq - he used it daily and swore by it. The CRKT M16 can be had all day long for $60.

My suggestion is that you go to the Columbia River Knife and Tool website, go to the EDC knives, and just order one that strikes you fancy. Knives are pretty basic tools, and as a result, it's pretty hard to come up with a design that is inherently bad.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Spyderco Endura. Figure out if you want full serrated, half serrated or non-serrated, be happy.

Feb 6, 2012
    Ontario Rat 1 (or 2 if you prefer something smaller)

Do you carry a multitool? Lately I've just used the blade on my mt for my edc stuff (I do not use it for food prep though.)

As far as legality goes any folding knife in MD is legal to carry (concealed or open) as long as it isn't an auto, balisong or butterfly knife.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    As far as legality goes any folding knife in MD is legal to carry (concealed or open) as long as it isn't an auto, balisong or butterfly knife.

Actually, you can carry ANY knife in MD. Any knife where the blade folds into the handle(including butterfly type knives) are considered "pen knives" and can be carried concealed or openly. Any fixed blade knife or switchblade(blade opens by mechanical action) may be carried but must be openly carried. No restriction on blade length or single/double edge.

Only restrictions on switchblades(besides open carry) are that you cannot buy, sell, transfer, or offer for sale in the state.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    $85 can get a decent production EDC, Spyderco and Kershaw have a few. Spydercos full flat ground blades are light, slice well, and can take a lot of sharpening before they wear out, in VG10 or S30V they hold a good edge for a long time. For Kershaw, the S30V blur is decent, a couple others too, their flipper / speedsafe models open fast with either hand.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Well, if you wanna max yer budget on "just one knife" - which I bet more than a few of us started out by saying :innocent0 - I'd say you get something like this:

Benchmade Mini-Griptillian:
    http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Par...TF8&qid=1378917899&sr=1-12&keywords=benchmade

That being said, you could get quite a few nice EDC blades for $85. Its such a personal choice - go by feel of one in hand.

I have quite a few after I myself saying "oh I'll just get one nice edc" - but in spite of a few $100+ folders in my edc collection, my goto EDC is a $20 Kershaw Clash:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1605-...&qid=1378918130&sr=1-1&keywords=kershaw+clash

Its durable, surprisingly it holds an edge for quite a long time, its light, has a strong clip, and if I lose it or bugger up the blade, I won't feel bad that I spent a lot of coin on it.

My first EDC was a Benchmade Mini-Barrage, and regret scratching it up learning how to hone a knife with it, all because I spent so much on it. I also constantly worry about losing it out of my looser pants and shorts, since again, it had cost so much. For an EDC, you shouldn't have to think that way, but when you spend bigger money on a blade, you sometimes end up not wanting to "hurt it" - which misses the point of EDC IMO...

There's lots of great idea's from others above in the thread! Don't be afraid to buy multiple EDC options with your total budget. Once you get "the bug," its game over man, and you'll be asking "what roll up case to get for 25+ knives!" :evilgrin3 Good Luck!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Cruise Fleabay for a used Benchmade 710. Great knife; all my Benchmades have been used, well off the list price. I love benchmade axis locks, and the knives are so well made that you're unlikely to get stuck with a dog, if your eyes work well enough to see the pics. And for EDC you don't need "pretty," you need function.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Kershaw Blur.
    Comes in many flavors. Mine is a combo edge tanto blade. Very rugged with nice G10 grips. I paid $57 at Wallyworld for mine. And best of all MADE IN THE USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom