• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jpuckett

Armed and Dangerous
    Apr 12, 2010
    frederick
    wow, youngster is getting ready huh! Just get something you want and will enjoy shooting until you turn 21. Shotguns are good, but they can be hard to find ranges that let you shoot them unless you have them set up for slugs.

I'm scared for my country, and if she goes where I think she is headed; I and other brave patriots just may have to rise up to protect her.

I'm not a doomsday theorist... I just would rather prepare for the wolf and see only sheep, then write him off and wonder where that shepherd boy went

Jpuckett

Armed and Dangerous
    Apr 12, 2010
    frederick
    So while I'm still learning to steady my hand at a non confrontational piece of paper, a regular 22 is probably a bit more practical.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Get a Marlin 795, 22lr, they are 129 or so. Good plinker and trainer. Then for another 80 dollars get a MOSIN Nagant (hehe). you'll then have a heavy rifle to get the feel of kick from.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    So while I'm still learning to steady my hand at a non confrontational piece of paper, a regular 22 is probably a bit more practical.

A hell of a lot cheaper. .22s come in all shapes and sizes as well....you can get anything from a single shot bolt action gun with a wood stock, to a fully accessorized AR platform chambered in .22LR.

Don't be fooled by what some will tell you. A .22 can be, and is, a lot more than a child's gun!

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Go with either one, but remember! Either is the gateway to alot of fun and depleated bank account!!!:party29:

Amen to that, I just spent a bundle on a new handgun today. That marlin looks tempting and will not hurt you too much on the front end.

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Welcome to the forum! I haven't turned 18 yet (sorry guys, probably not making you feel any younger :D) but I have a handful of rifles. Not much by what some guy on here have but, they're mine and I love em!

Start with a 22, get some trigger time and practice practice practice!! That's what I did. No other caliber can we youngsters afford to shoot 500+ rounds a week. I max out shooting 100 or so .308 win rounds in a weekend (quantico saturdays and if I don't have homework on Sunday) so a 22lr is definetely my number one pick for a first gun. Then just whatever tickles your fancy. I am am avid long range hunter so I got bigger and bigger guns (done with that now, can't afford any bigger ones, nor do I need any, atm :D) I bought a 22lr, then a .308, then a 300 win mag, and now my newest a 300 ackley magnum (improved 300 H&H but I form from 300 wby brass).

Don't underestimate the 22lr, last weekend a buddy and I decided to test the limits of my 22. Shot out to 400 yards, recovered one bullet from the target stand at 400, no other hits. We did manage to hit a 18"x24" steel plate about 50% of the time at 300 yards. At that range we could watch the actual bullet (not con trail) flying towards the target. 22s are a blast to shoot.

Jpuckett

Armed and Dangerous
    Apr 12, 2010
    frederick
    Like I said money isn't the biggest thing, I do well for my age, I'm only 18 but i have a full time 9to5 as a network engineer, and already have a college degree under my belt!

But the Marlin .22 seems like sound advice from all, So I will probably drop by the frederick range this weekend and see the damage of joining, and use my refund to pick up a .22 and whole BUNCH of ammo!

Thank you guys for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom