• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I'm a reloading newbie. First run at reloading .223 ammo. What do you recommend for powder? Does bullet weight affect the powder used?

Thanks in advance for your guidance. That's why MDS is my go to source.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    First get several reloading manuals and read them. No one manual will cover all the issues you'll be faced with. For loads look online for powder companies load data like Reloading Data Center | Hodgdon or accurate arms site. Powder is what you can find locally and yes bullet weight does affect powder choices. To start why not go with the 55gr. FMJ, cost is low and most rifles will handle them fine. After you gain some experience start experimenting with other weights and bullet styles. Good luck, you're going down a rabbit hole with NO bottom. See ya on the way down!

There are several powders that you can use for 556/223. I'm partial to IMR 3031 because it gives me the best accuracy but because it's a stick pattern meaning that the grains are in the form of very small elongated stick like granules it can be hard to measure.

I also like the Accurate LT32. It burns pretty clean and can be less expensive than other powders for that caliber.

Right now as hard as it can be to find some powders and as expensive as they have become you may want to search and find what you can get. Always try to buy local first. That will keep you from paying the hazardous materials shipping fees as well as the regular shipping fees.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Bullet weight is a definite factor, as is the action you are using it in. In a gasgun, the pressure and burn rate need to be appropriate for the system. In a bolt gun or single shot, you just need to be within pressure limits for safety.

While not exhaustive, I will put some general guidelines below as you haven't stipulated what bullets, action, or intended use.

Gasguns: h335 and blc2 are both ball powders that meter well in progressives ad conventional volumetric powder dispensers. Good for blasting ammo, both temp sensitive (stay away from max charges unless developed in warm weather). Ar comp and imr8208xbr both do well with heavier bullets in gasguns. Varget, RL15, and 4895 give good velocities and tend to match well with mid to heavy pills

Bolt guns: benchmark is my go to for tight ES and good velocities with lighter bullets. 4895 and RL15 for mid and heavier bullets. You can definitely pump up the velocity well beyond gasgun limits with these two. A good friend swears by a (very hot) charge of shooters world precision rifle powder in his 77-90gr 223 boltgun loads and the results are undeniable.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Although it's hard to do with shortages of everything, if you plan on reloading more than one caliber, you should look for a powder that can be used in multiple calibers of cartridges that you want to reload. Especially with the 5 lb./person storage limit.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I'm a reloading newbie. First run at reloading .223 ammo. What do you recommend for powder? Does bullet weight affect the powder used?

Thanks in advance for your guidance. That's why MDS is my go to source.
    Ramshot TAC and berries 55 grain fmjs shot stellar 1moa at 100y out of my ruger ar556 16" hbar. I also tried blc-2, varmint, AR-comp, CFE 223, shooters world AR plus, and shooters world blackout.

I mass volume load range plinkers with pulled 55 grain bullets from american reloading, and use shooters world blackout/lovex d063. Primers are obviously the biggest expense, but I was able to group buy a couple of cases of imported (kvb223, basically wolf/tula) primers as low at 6.8 cents per primer 3 months ago. I used to shoot alot of steel case ammo alot back in the days, and this is my budget plinking load replacement.

Bullet weight does indeed affect the powder used due to pressure and performance factors. Stick with publicized data from renowned reloading books or databases (i.e. hodgon reloading database) and you'll be fine. Would also like to note that 556 load data DOES differ from 223, so take that into account.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Although it's hard to do with shortages of everything, if you plan on reloading more than one caliber, you should look for a powder that can be used in multiple calibers of cartridges that you want to reload. Especially with the 5 lb./person storage limit.

Yep! To add, I'd suggest sticking to Hodgdon brand powders, if you're just starting out and working up new loads. The Hodgdon family of powders oftentime tends to be easier to find.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Thanks to everyone. Now I've got a basis for some serious research. I love a serious research project, especially when it results in some "field research."

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    H335, H322, BLC-2, 748, 4895, 8208, Accurate 2230, CFE-223
    VihtaVouri powders ($$$) work well. N130, N133, N135
    Do a search, use Duckduckgo as your search engine, search for
    "powders for reloading 223" or go to manufactures websites.

bullet wt. vs. powder used in some cases it will change.

the powders I currently use for 223 / 5.56
    Surplus W844 for plinking / practice still out there but in most cases more the regular
    IMR4895, IMR8208, W748, ditched Vargot long ago, availability issues and time to move on.

-Rock

Last edited:

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    My garage is no ones business. Plus its cheaper to get 8lb containers at a time. Also I though the legal limit for storage was 55lbs

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

The good news/ bad news , is that .223 / 5.56 use Medium speed powders , which will also be useful in lots of other rifle cals . But so many options are difficult to pick just one . And in current supply chain , selection is still spotty , and cliche choice powders can be hard to find .

So approach backwards . See what powders are physically in front of you at LGS or gun show , quickly google up load data for your bullet weight in .223 .

But to throw out some cliche choices : W748 and RL-15 .

When

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    No more than 5lbs or the fire marshal shows up and gets you. Boogie boogie!
    He should make sure he had a warrant then.
    Is this a MD law? I may be remembering wrong but I thought I read somewhere under the fire code it was 55lbs. Otherwise how is it even legal to sell the 8lb containers l like some much.
    Not trying to be a dick to you I am genuinely curious since I was under the impression fire code covered this.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Well shit I quick google search tells me I was wrong and yall were right.
    They still need a warrant if they want to look.
    Ahh I was going by fed code. Of course MD has to be more restrictive and take all the fun. Hilarious anyone can buy multiple 8lb jugs at a time.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Well shit I quick google search tells me I was wrong and yall were right.
    They still need a warrant if they want to look.
    Ahh I was going by fed code. Of course MD has to be more restrictive and take all the fun. Hilarious anyone can buy multiple 8lb jugs at a time.
    You can get permission to get more but you need a fire safe storage container and someone will need to come out and look at it to approve it. Not worth all that, I just keep my head down.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    You can get permission to get more but you need a fire safe storage container and someone will need to come out and look at it to approve it. Not worth all that, I just keep my head down.
    Nope I will be drawing no attention to firearm related items in MD. Thats just asking for it. I will just continue to mind my business and doing me. There is no reason for them to be on my property or in my house let alone my garage. Concealed is Concealed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom