• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Picked this up Sunday at the Chantilly Show.
    They sold it with 100 free rounds of Russian Surplus.
    This was arsinal refurbed by the Finns at some point. Blueing is 95%+ I'd say.
    Mineral Spirt clean up sunday evening. Only took about an hour or less now that I've done it several times before.
    The Finn modified trigger was nice. It springs back for a 2 stage trigger. The trigger pull (did not measure) was definitely less than 3lbs. Probably about 2-3lbs.
    Bolt action was smooth.
    Taking it apart, it already had what the Finns put on for shimming on the front action screw and tang. I did not touch anything, just re-assembled after cleaning so I can see where its at.
    I like how the Fins did the stock so your not scratching it up on break down. Also how they add the hollowing out below the barrel to help dissipate heat?

I took it out this morning using the Russian surplus they gave me. Like I expected, it shot high even at the lowest elevation setting. To compensate, I brought with me a piece of neoprene adhesive backed gasket cut to the width of the Finn front sight blade. I attached then used the rear sight to adjust elevation. I waffled back and forth figuring out if I wanted a center hold or 6 oclock hold but the windage was just 1/8 of a turn off. I really like the finn design of the front sight. Easy to adjust windage.

After getting windage set at 50yds, it started to hold a nice group.
    At 100 yards were eyesight comes into play, I'm at least happy that once I got things set up, I was hitting all the shots inside a 5" circle. I still have to figure out my sight picture with the elevation.

I don't know if it was my imagination but the recoil on this seemed less than the 91/30. May have been the surplus was different than my other surplus or something. Dunno.

The guy from Leesburg had about 15 of these. I wouldn't say I got this at a great deal or a bargain. But I did not want to come back empty handed. My son had a big smile on his face carrying it out to the car in the parking lot :)

Edit: I looked it up and that Tang stamping shows it's a 1900 Tula Receiver

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpg
      IMG_1860.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 255
    • IMG_1855.jpg
      IMG_1855.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 247
    • IMG_1861.jpg
      IMG_1861.jpg
      122.3 KB · Views: 257
    • IMG_1858.jpg
      IMG_1858.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 257
    • IMG_1863.jpg
      IMG_1863.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 251
    Last edited:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks good, I was looking at that same rifle at the show. I almost bought one but figured I'd just save my money so I can order some goodies from SOG this afternoon

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Who was the Leesburg dealer who had those? I get out there from time to time and will look him up to see if he has any more of them.

DennisCA

Nice find - I got one (M39) a couple of years ago and won't part with it.

You have the same problem as me - eye site. With mine I find it shoots the Russian lite-ball the best. Get some other ammo and see how it shoots.

The reason the recoil is light than a 91-30 is because it's heavier, thus less recoil.

Any-who: enjoy!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Who was the Leesburg dealer who had those? I get out there from time to time and will look him up to see if he has any more of them.

I believe they were called Rimfire Sports & Custom out of Ashburn VA according to the card I got from them. I'll add that the gentlemen who worked at the show for them seemed top notch and were very polite and willing to deal with MD residents

Sirex