• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Figured I would share with you all the recent addition to my collection. I submitted an application to CMP back in February and got the call last week that my number had been drawn for a 1911. All 3 grades were available, so I went ahead and sprung for a service grade. The pistol I received is a Remington Rand frame and Colt slide. It's always a bit nerve wracking buying a gun before ever seeing it, so I was relieved to see that it's in good condition!

Does anyone here have experience buying reproduction holsters? I did a cursory search and saw that Desantis makes a reproduction that looks great, but wanted to see if you all have any input before I pick one up.

IMG_8699.jpg
    IMG_8700.jpg

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    I have seen a few at Chantilly show in past. Might be worth hitting the next show to see if you are lucky for an original.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Congrats!!

Beautiful 1911A1.
    I also got mine from CMP this spring - an Ithaca

I found genuine holsters on Legacy Collectibles and on eBay

On holsters, I insisted on the real McCoys - ammo pouches and lanyards, I am okay with reproductions.

8 DEC_4.jpeg
    16Mar23_1.jpeg

Guess I don't have a close up picture of the Ithaca in it's holster...it's bottom row, far left. The Nambu holster took some looking and some $$
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 6.27.35 PM.png

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Thank you all for the input. I think you all are right that I should see about an original before resorting to a repro. Admittedly, I'm a compete newb when it comes to holsters for old pistols like this so I wasn't thinking that there would be availability of originals that are still in good shape!

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Looks good! I went for a service grade too, and also received a Remington Rand frame with a Colt slide. Not a bad combo to have! ;)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thank you all for the input. I think you all are right that I should see about an original before resorting to a repro. Admittedly, I'm a compete newb when it comes to holsters for old pistols like this so I wasn't thinking that there would be availability of originals that are still in good shape!
    They made so many of them there are still available all the way up to unissued condition. I use my originals to shoot.

Depending on which era you want to kit out your rig, postwar black holsters are even cheaper. New black ones were purpose made and older leather holsters got dyed when the Army switched to black leather in the 50s.

1691526993223.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom