• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    I took the wife to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in Western PA this past weekend and we shot sporting clays there. It was my first time shooting clays and it was a blast! I really want to get into more clay shooting, but I've done more benchrest rifle shooting thus far and I'm ignorant when it comes to sporting guns. I'm looking for a little advice as to a good shotgun to start out with for myself and also one maybe for my wife. Any thoughts are appreciated.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I took the wife to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in Western PA this past weekend and we shot sporting clays there. It was my first time shooting clays and it was a blast! I really want to get into more clay shooting, but I've done more benchrest rifle shooting thus far and I'm ignorant when it comes to sporting guns. I'm looking for a little advice as to a good shotgun to start out with for myself and also one maybe for my wife. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Get a decent over under or semi and you will be set. I personally like to use pumps when shooting with my hunting buddies but we shoot clays to train for real birds(less wounded geese and ducks). We are more worried about making one good shot than making two quick ones as performed with an over under. I am shooting this weekend as geese are in here in Pa Sept 1st. As far as a quality gun in the over under look to pay 600 and up. I personally am a fan of the Red Labels by Ruger but to each their own. Happy shooting.:thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Go with 28" or longer barrels regardless of shotgun type. Sporting gun features like a mid bead, barrel rib, and maybe porting are nice, versus field guns that lack these features. A long-barreled field gun is fine if that's what your budget dictates. Avoid trap guns for sporting clays. Avoid single-shot shotguns.

Pumps are the right price but can be tough to cycle quickly enough for doubles, especially for your wife. No problem if that's what your budget dictates. Recoil can be heavy and painfully cumulative if using shells hotter than 1oz. Decent used O/Us cost about the same price as new pumps (Charles Daly O/Us, for example) and are typically a better choice/investment.

O/Us are a great choice for easy operation but are a lot pricier than pumps for quality ones. Excellent choices are Browning Citori and Beretta 686 series. Recoil is similar to most pumps.

Semi-autos are the most complex, can be a pain to disassemble/clean/reassemble, and can jam with light loads. Cost is on par with entry-level sporting O/Us. Recoil is light. Beretta AL391 is a heavy favorite for this shotgun type because it's designed to cycle reliably with low-recoil shells for sporting clays and skeet.

No matter which shotgun type you pick, especially if left handed like I am, be sure the shop you buy it at makes sure the gun fits you properly. That basically means to not buy it at any type of box store. If the gun does not fit you, it's not uncommon to have heavy bruising after 50 rounds. A gunsmith easily can take care of minor fitting issues like shortening the stock and/or adding a recoil pad.

If you want to keep things really simple to start with, buy a Mossberg 500 field/security combo and shoot it as is with the 28" barrel. If you end up not shooting sporting clays very much, you still have a nice, inexpensive, general-purpose shotgun.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    If you want to keep things really simple to start with, buy a Mossberg 500 field/security combo and shoot it as is with the 28" barrel. If you end up not shooting sporting clays very much, you still have a nice, inexpensive, general-purpose shotgun.

+1 :thumbsup: just a good deal all around and you end up with a good GP even if you do move on to something better for trap and clays later. The 28" with modified choke works well. Not going to be a competition shooter but for weekend blasting it works.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I would advise against a pump action since your focus will be clays. A semi with a 28" barrel would be a good choice. Remington 1100/1187's or Beretta 390/391's are the most popular makes and models (for good reason) and are affordable on the used market. Bass Pro might have a deal on new guns right now.

I suggest you get over to Loch Raven Skeet & Trap. There you can shoot skeet, trap and 5-stand with their loaner guns and see what the other guys are shooting.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Much depends on what your budget is. You said "a good shotgun to start out with". To me, that means a gun designed for sporting that will not break down due to potential high volume.

In the $1200 or so range, Beretta 391 Autoloaders (sporters) with 30" bbls are absolutely the most often seen auto in sporting. They sell a basic model and one that's a bit more fancy for several hundred dollars more.

Do not even consider any of the various bargain O/U guns on the market. Most are junk and will become almost instant headaches. A decent O/U (new) runs either side of $2500. That would be a Beretta, Browning, Guerini, Rizzini, Zoli, etc. In this catagory you will probably see a few more Brownings out there than the others.

I would forget the Mossberg suggestion unless you are only going to shoot once in a blue moon. It's not a sporter, not designed for the game, it handicaps you by being a pump, and it will not hold up. It's a good utility gun, hunting gun etc, but it's just not for target use.

I'm happy to hear that this bug has bitten. But, don't be in a rush to buy. Go to some places that rent guns and shoot the two different action types to see what appeals to you. Each has it's ups and downs. If you would like, I could meet you at PG next month and show you the ropes a bit. They rent Berettas. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Mossberg 930 is what i would recomend. Easy to take apart, simple semi auto gas system, good customer service, and cycles the lowest and heavy loads the same. All for $500 or about that, if you can remington 11-87 are good too.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County

Nice to see someone bitten by the clays bug. I see you're in Towson. Why don't you go to Loch Raven Skeet & Trap and rent one of their guns to try out. They have Beretta and Benelli semi-auto's to rent. A good way to see if that's they kind of gun you'd like to own. Only costs $10 to rent a gun.

Good luck in the hunt. Clay shooting is a fun sport!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Much depends on what your budget is. You said "a good shotgun to start out with". To me, that means a gun designed for sporting that will not break down due to potential high volume.

In the $1200 or so range, Beretta 391 Autoloaders (sporters) with 30" bbls are absolutely the most often seen auto in sporting. They sell a basic model and one that's a bit more fancy for several hundred dollars more.

Do not even consider any of the various bargain O/U guns on the market. Most are junk and will become almost instant headaches. A decent O/U (new) runs either side of $2500. That would be a Beretta, Browning, Guerini, Rizzini, Zoli, etc. In this catagory you will probably see a few more Brownings out there than the others.

I would forget the Mossberg suggestion unless you are only going to shoot once in a blue moon. It's not a sporter, not designed for the game, it handicaps you by being a pump, and it will not hold up. It's a good utility gun, hunting gun etc, but it's just not for target use.

I'm happy to hear that this bug has bitten. But, don't be in a rush to buy. Go to some places that rent guns and shoot the two different action types to see what appeals to you. Each has it's ups and downs. If you would like, I could meet you at PG next month and show you the ropes a bit. They rent Berettas. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

+1
    Also, happy to meet you at Loch Raven and give you some pointers. They have rentals and you can also shoot one of my O/Us. Don't buy till you try.
    Pm me.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    If you are in Towson besides Loch Raven Skeet and Trap- there are several small clubs with in easy driving distance for sporting clays--In Pa. there is Oxford Gun Club ---Hopewell Fish and Game(just up I83 near Stewartstown)---Littlestown Fish and Game(my club) and Mayberry near Westminster Md. they all have websites and their schedules vary but you can shoot just about every weekend somewhere and the prices are reasonable and the members are friendly at all of these clubs and all like to see newbies show up. If you want a premium shoot there is always Pintail Point on the Eastern Shore. You cant go wrong with a Beretta 390 or 391 and they can be found used for around $1000 or a little less

Last edited:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    +1
    Also, happy to meet you at Loch Raven and give you some pointers. They have rentals and you can also shoot one of my O/Us. Don't buy till you try.
    Pm me.

Additionally:
    I am meeting another MDS member this Thursday (23rd) at around 3:30 on the wobble range. Join us.
    Let me know and I'll throw a couple extra guns in the car that you can try.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Wow.......thank you all for the feedback. You have all given me a lot to research and think about. Thank you again. I definitely like the "try before you buy" approach to see what works best.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I was in your situation a few years ago as a noob clay shooter. I shoot sporting and trap. I started with an 870 with a 28" barrel to learn the games. I rented everything Beretta had to offer and found the weak link was always me. Renting guns is recommended. However ‘Winning’ at an informal shoot is just not worth $3,000 to me. I spend money learning the sport.

If you do not want to go old school shotgun training, buy a Beretta AL391 and enjoy.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    So I have been out to Loch Raven and tried a few of their rentals and also a few friend's guns as well. Loch Raven is a nice facility and everyone was really nice and very helpful, but I was surprised that there was no formal safety walk though, Iike at the AGC. Anyway, thanks again to all the people who offered advice. I need to decide between semi-auto or over/under, but I really like the classic look of the over/under..........these are good kinds of decisions to have to make. Many thanks again.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Buy a Beretta 391 Urika 2 Sporting and don't look back. It's very versatile and has great resale value when the time comes to move to a new gun. Its most likely what you rented at Loch Raven. If you plan to shoot trap, make sure you buy a shell catcher for it.

If you must have an over/under take a look at a Browning Citori. Lots of models to choose from however I really like the 625 Sporting as an all purpose clay crusher.

BTW, Nemacolin is a great venue so you probably just shot some of the best targets you'll ever see!

2nd on the Beretta Urika 2, but consider the Parallel Target version.
    For an O/U make sure you shoulder a Beretta Silver Pigeon as well as the Citori. Some feel the Citori swings like a 2X4:)
    Point being, they are similarly priced but feel and handle quite differently. You will like one more than the other. YMMV.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    YouTube, ClayCoachOnline channel. Great instruction with Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays.

Focus is on hitting clays, techniques for picking up targets, different ways of setting lead and handling the gun. Not on types of equipment.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    If you're going to be shooting clays for fun maybe less than once a month, I honestly wouldn't spend a good amount of cash on an a decent O/U until you decide to get serious.

My suggestion is a Rem 11-87 Premier 28". You can find them used in good condition anywhere from $450-700. If decide you want to step up to a nice O/U you can sell it and more than likely not lose any money on the 11-87.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Tried several O/U and semi-autos, decided to go with the beretta SV10 with the kickoff. Very happy with my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom