• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TerpNewb

Aug 29, 2013
    I know the ban is going into effect, and since I'm a little new I'd really appreciate some help here from you guys.

I've shot black powder, 30-06, 22 ever since I was young. However this new issue and the current political climate and the way I see our country going I am interested in obtaining an AR15, or atleast the lower that will be banned in a month.

I'm looking for advice as to reputable gun shops that could order and register me a lower in the Eastern Shore Area, or in the Harford County area.

I'm also looking into advice into how to build and which lowers are the best/valuewise somewhat too.

Much appreciated guys/gals !

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Make sure you buy a stripped lower from a dealer who will release to you in about 8 days. There's a thread on the site for release times.

Here is a $500 rifle kit to complete it: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit-2645.html

Some tools are useful but not absolutely necessary

From midwayusa

694883 Schuster AR-15 Roll Pin Starter $17.99

358821 ProMag Armorer's Lower Receiver $10.99

151542 Schuster AR-15 Bolt Catch Punch $15.99

From Sears

00943167000 6 pc. Roll Pin Punch Set $19.99

00938298000 6 oz. Plastic-Tip Hammer $9.99

ITS Tactical on youtube has stepwise videos for assembly of the lower. Buying an assembled upper makes it easy.

TerpNewb

Aug 29, 2013
    Thank You!

Now I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for lowers/ any dealers in the Maryland Eastern Shore or Harford County area they prefer?

JADCecil

May 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    The Bank Gun and Pawn in Havre de Grace. 8 day release and they have Spikes and Palmetto State Armory lowers in stock as of last week. I think they are on vacation until after the holiday, but I highly recommend them.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    The Bank Gun and Pawn in Havre de Grace. 8 day release and they have Spikes and Palmetto State Armory lowers in stock as of last week. I think they are on vacation until after the holiday, but I highly recommend them.

The sign in the door said closed 24-30 Aug so I am presuming they will reopen Sat 8/31.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Do you think you're going to want to reconfigure the barrel? If not, then maybe a non-regulated pre-built HBAR is the way to go. Cash and Carry and you can still do the whole rail/magpul/paint/whatever thing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once again , the first and most important issue is to establish upfront with any prospective FFL that they will do a timely release for you.

As for absolute value , it is hard to top Aero Precision $75 and free shipping. At that price get two ( yes , you can purchase two at once on the same 77R ) , and have the second for some future project to be determined later.

TerpNewb

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys, why is this 7/8 day release so important? Have there been places that keep it for a long period of time, and if so for what reason?

Also how does this work about ordering a lower off the internet and then shipping it to the FFL? Do I go to the FFL first and tell them hey can I get this shipped to you and fill out paperwork there, then go and order it? What are the exact steps of this?

Thanks again and I appreciate all the help!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Attached Images

ziptiespec

Give Mike a call at Mid County for a FFL on the shore and he is on the forums here.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=16331

I also recommend Mike @ MGS. On-time release and a very cool operation. On-time means 3 weeks (simply because of how much paperwork is being moved) instead of 100+ days (if you want to wait for an ND from MSP.

Thanks for all the help guys, why is this 7/8 day release so important? Have there been places that keep it for a long period of time, and if so for what reason?

The 7/8 day release is important if you want to see your merchandise land in your hands within a reasonable amount of time. For example, my first regulated purchases this year was made in April. The paperwork went in the last week of that month and the FFL I used was and still is not releasing without hearing that MSP says that you not disapproved. Hence, that rifle is still sitting in his safe. I e-mailed MSP 1 week and 1 day ago to follow up on that application and it was granted the ND during the first week of August. I should be getting a call to pick that up soon but this is why you want to go with a shop/FFL that is releasing "on time". I have since stopped using that original FFL for regulated purchases and use shops that will transfer on time. On time should mean 8 days, and there are shops that will do 8 days. The two shops that I'm now using are transferring in 2 and 3 weeks. That's fine with me, I understand that they're dealing with loads of paperwork.

Also how does this work about ordering a lower off the internet and then shipping it to the FFL? Do I go to the FFL first and tell them hey can I get this shipped to you and fill out paperwork there, then go and order it? What are the exact steps of this?

Yeah, it's courtesy to give the shop/FFL a call and ask if it's ok to transfer through them. They'll probably say yeah (some only deal w/ purchases made in-house though) and then you just go ahead and order. A lot of the online retailers already have the licenses on file for many shops so you may not have to have the FFL-holder send a copy of their license in. Otherwise you'll have to get the FFL to send a copy of their license to the retailer.

Also: slickguns.com

Of course, I suggest that we all support the Industry Partners listed here but often the deals on the internet are very hard to pass up.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I'll 3rd (4th or 5th, whatever were up to now) Mike at Mid County.

He's only open 5-9 Thus-Sat, but I was just in the the other day and he had at least 2 stripped lowers in stock under the glass.

BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    Yeah, I made the mistake last week of not checking on the release time from Arthurs and I guess it will be quite some time before I hear about it.

Not to hijack but i do have a question.
    What happens if it doesn't clear?
    cash does get returned right?

TerpNewb

Aug 29, 2013
    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding but why does it even matter then for the 8 day release if the paper work is taking so long, I do not want to get my stripped lower after 8 days if the paper work is taking longer and I do not know yet if I am denied or not, since I read if you are denied and if you already took possession it can be confiscated with no option of monetary refund.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Have you ever purchased a regulated firearm (including handguns) in MD? If you have, your chances of a denial are virtually non existent if you are still not a prohibited person

TerpNewb

Aug 29, 2013
    Never purchased a firearm in MD or any other state for that matter, but the most I have on my record is a speeding ticket lol

also: how do I order two? I was under the impression its only 1 per 30 days, and that counts from the pay date, so i wouldn't be able to get 2 before Oct 1st rolls around

BIG EDIT:I've been reading and it looks like I have to have my upper/lower assembled before Oct 1st as after that it is forbidden?, I'm trying to buy 2 lowers but I won't be able to complete both, or even 1 maybe before Oct 1st

Last edited:

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    TerpNewb,

I just left Mid County earlier today and he had two lowers in stock. Dont know where you are located at but he is open until around 6:00 tonight. He isnt open again until next Thursday.

If you havent bought a handgun or regulated weapon before you need to do the MD gun safety class online before buying. Follow this link:

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

You will have to print out the card and bring it with you to the FFL of your choice. Purchase your lower, fill out paperwork and then wait. How long depends on your FFL. You will need a FFL that releases early if not you will never make the Oct 1 deadline.

You do not have to have the lower and upper completed before Oct 1. You can buy the upper and have it delievered to your house without a FFL being involved. The lower is the regulated part.

You need to get moving ASAP if you want a lower at this point. You have a less than 2 weeks to get your paperwork complete from what I am hearing the FFL's telling customers.

You will only be able to get one lower at this point unless you are a designated collector in MD and you wont have time to get that before Oct 1st either.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do or get.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In lieu of training, have a copy of your DD 214 to show an honorable discharge from the Military.

You're still only be able to buy one firearm before Oct. 1 as outlined above. Get your designated Collector status ASAP. Affadavit attached.

Attachments

• Collector Application Affidavit.pdf
      37.6 KB · Views: 77

TerpNewb

Aug 29, 2013
    I've already done the MSP Safety video, gone ahead and printed out my cards and I'm mailed the MSP copy monday

hmm I went to the local FFL near me today and he told me I could go ahead and order 2 lowers and ship them to them, and I'd of course have the transfer fees.

I can't actually order 2 stripped lowers legally now, or can I? I'm seeing so many differing posts, trying to read the law (which is always ambiguous) and have yet to get a consensus

Also I asked the dealer today about filling out paperwork there, he said no. I fill out the paperwork when they receive the lower? What if my lower does not get to them in time?

I was also under the impression that as long I can prove purchase before Oct 1st that I can take possession of the lower after Oct 1st

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom