• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Just picked up a Bear Tigercat 50# recurve. Looks to be about 50 years old. I have a 16 strand bowstring coming from Fleabay. I understand arrows come in different lengths. Is there a good average length? or is it paramount to have a certain one? Not looking to go all robin hood, just the basics.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not just length, but spine, material (the shaft, fletching, tips), as well fletching (or vane) length.

You'll need to make or know the nocking point on the string. This is usually perpendicular to the shelf plus 1/4-1/2 an inch up. Here you add a nocking point. A squeeze on ring or many wraps of serving string. Some people even use dental floss. The arrow gets nocked beneath it. You can use a three-finger below draw or two below one above draw.

To measure your draw length, you take a long or uncut arrow and draw the bow to your anchor point (middle finger touching the corner of your mouth for instance). Other arm is straight. Have someone else at this point measure from the string where it is in the arrow nock to the front face (the side away from you) of the bow. This is the draw length. Usually around 28-30-something inches. You typically add an inch to this so the tip has room for a broadhead without touching your fingers.

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    In addition to above; You can just buy them, but I would recommend to learn how to fletch your own arrows and learn how to bare shaft test them. This is the best way to get matched arrows. Many recurves shoot good with 10# spine in them, so maybe a 60# for you and it varies for weight of the head if its lighter or heavier.

If one shaft is too stiff you can scrape the center of the arrow to reduce the spine so its shoots better.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    New bow string came in today. I installed it using the step through meathod. A bit disappointed in my lack of strength to draw it back. Between my separated shoulder on my left and torn bicep on my right i cant get it back to my face. Gettin old. Maybe i need a 25# bow. This #50 might be a bit much.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    What are you going to do with it? Hunt or practice?

If hunting... MD has 30# min limit. Check your state min requirement.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    New bow string came in today. I installed it using the step through meathod. A bit disappointed in my lack of strength to draw it back. Between my separated shoulder on my left and torn bicep on my right i cant get it back to my face. Gettin old. Maybe i need a 25# bow. This #50 might be a bit much.

Always use a stringer.

Do a buttload of these with both arms:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

You're using muscle groups you've probably not used much in a strenuous way. I recommend you do some light(at first) weight training. Dumbbell one arm pull-ups(not what it sounds like) and some one-arm rear dumbbell flies.

One arm dumbbell pull-up: Take a dumbbell in your weak hand. Standing, bend over at the waist, supporting your upper torso with your other arm/hand on the arm of your couch(or something about that height).Now, pull the weight up to your chest/shoulder and in a controlled manner, lower it back down all the way. Do as many as you can with the weak arm, then repeat that number with your strong arm.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Always use a stringer.

Do a buttload of these with both arms:

I'll definitely work on my strength, thanks for the video. Stringing the bow was actually pretty easy without a stringer, but i can see the advantage of using one. I have some paracord and leather scraps somewhere.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'll definitely work on my strength, thanks for the video. Stringing the bow was actually pretty easy without a stringer, but i can see the advantage of using one. I have some paracord and leather scraps somewhere.

It's not a matter of easy, you can torque the bow without one in fact, a lot of manufacturers will invalidate your warranty if you don't use one and screw up your bow. I know that's not a worry in your case but it just goes to show how many times they've seen it.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    It's not a matter of easy, you can torque the bow without one in fact, a lot of manufacturers will invalidate your warranty if you don't use one and screw up your bow. I know that's not a worry in your case but it just goes to show how many times they've seen it.

Good point. Is it something that should be unstrung after every use or can i leave it strung for a while?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Best to unstring it after each use, don't keep it stung > 24 hours. Store unstrung horizontally across two pegs or hang vertically from one tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom