• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    I just got a super Vinci as a wedding gift from my wonderful fiance. I took it out to shoot for the first time today and was very impressed with weight and feel. Really a great firearm. I ran five rounds of 3 1/2 turkey rounds through it to pattern. Everything cycled wonderfuly. Then shot some clay birds with 1 1/8 oz light Target rounds which I was weary of. Shot great (like a pellet gun after 3 1/2) but two rounds jammed out of a little over twenty five. I understand that I haven't cleaned packing grease (there isn't any on bolt assembly anyway) and properly broken it in. So what I need help with is does anyone know a round size or amount of ammunition to send through this thing to get it broken in.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Welcome to Benelli. They jam.

Clean the gun. Don't shoot steel based shells. Make sure it's tightly shouldered. Should work most of the time. Should not require any break-in time.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    I bought one when they first came out. (seriel number 000313) I have shot the hell out of it and cleaned it for the first time after while goose hunting i accidentally grabbed a corn stalk leaf and some dirt also and threw it all in the chamber. it fired but did not eject. . I have shot light skeet loads, 3" duck, 3 1/2" goose, and heavy 3 1/2" turkey shells and they have all cycled except that one time with the dirt. People can say berettas are better and benellis are junk but once you start paying this much money for a shotgun wether it be benelli or beretta they are both excellent shotguns. Just keep shooting and it should be fine, but i never respect my hunting guns like i do my collectibles.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    Yeah. I haven't shot it a whole lot, just some old federal 2 3/4 Target loads (2 jammed when it recycled like bolt did not come all the way back but still ejected) and a few double x 3 1/2 turkey loads. Turkey loads worked great. Really have some wammy to them. Gun works great and highly satisfied with it. I read on the benelli page for the super Vinci, minimum recomended load to be 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4. That's pretty impressive to me that I can use this thing for anything and not change a single part. That is the reason I wanted this one and it has a great reputation. I'm not splitting hairs between brands. This thing will go to the grave with me. I'm not much into the collectibles. I use all mine in the field. I do have an old j.c.higgins 12 pump my grandfather bought new when he was young and gave me. He was never afraid to use it and neither am I. He took five wild game with four shots.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Welcome to Benelli. They DON'T jam.

I have super black eagle 2 and it is totally awesome. the only time it didn't work is when i got some of the super light ammo at the skeet range. it eats EVERYTHING from walmart and dicks (federal, winchester, remington) without a hitch, NO jams at all. Whether I'm doing skeet, sporting clays, wobble or 3 gun.

My guess is it's made to take the pounding of 3 1/2" shells so the springs are too strong for the super light stuff.

It doesn't kick at all, so there is no need to shoot the super light powder puff loads.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I have an m2 with close to 10,000 hulls ran thru it, probably 5,000 1oz 1200fps reloads, i get a hang up once in a blue moon. All I reload is gun clubs, my pw press does a good job in resizing the steel

There is a reason to shoot light, don't Need to waste all that lead missing LOL

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I have super black eagle 2 and it is totally awesome. the only time it didn't work is when i got some of the super light ammo at the skeet range. it eats EVERYTHING from walmart and dicks (federal, winchester, remington) without a hitch, NO jams at all. Whether I'm doing skeet, sporting clays, wobble or 3 gun.

My guess is it's made to take the pounding of 3 1/2" shells so the springs are too strong for the super light stuff.

It doesn't kick at all, so there is no need to shoot the super light powder puff loads.

I'm glad yours works, but that's not been my experience. I've owned two and they were unreliable. In my group of goose hunters, three had Benellis, but got rid of them because they were unreliable. It appears to be one of those guns that some people love while others think are highly overrated.

That said, some of todays 3 1/2" guns work with light loads while some don't. Also, steel based econo-loads raise hell with otherwise perfect guns.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, they are alright field shotguns for multiuse potential. Beretta owns benelli I think, you see common traits, I saw a benelli cloned style rotating bolt in a newer model Beretta

I wouldn't buy another one though

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    So I shot five rounds of Skeet yesterday with it and it jammed more than half the time with minimum recommended load. There has to be a break in term or I need to go through warranty issues. For all of those berreta fans. My buddy brought his and it worked like a charm. He was giving me so much grief. Ugh.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Exactly what target loads were you using? It's a good gun but it was mainly designed with heavy hunting loads in mind,making a semi auto cycle everything from light target loads to heavy 3 1/2" is tough.
    I would start by buying a box or 2 of AA or STS 1200 fps target loads and seeing if the gun cycles with those, if it does you might just have to use those to shoot clays with.
    As far as target loads you are pretty much restricted to 1200 fps as a lot of clubs have set that as their max velocity with 7.5 to 9 shot although you could get away with some 1250 handicap loads at some.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    I was shooting winchester super Target heavy Target loads. 1200 gps 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shot. I got those because they meet the recommended minimum. I think I just need to find somewhere that is gonna let me let loose 25-50 3 1/2. Hope that gets the springs worked in. If not call benelli and go from there.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    basshound86 said:
    I was shooting winchester super Target heavy Target loads. 1200 gps 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shot. I got those because they meet the recommended minimum. I think I just need to find somewhere that is gonna let me let loose 25-50 3 1/2. Hope that gets the springs worked in. If not call benelli and go from there.

Fps I mean. Stinking spell check.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If I remember right the Super target have steel based hulls and are known to stick in a lot of guns, see it quite often in some of the newer pumps on the trap line.
    Try a box or 2 of the AA or STS and see if that makes a difference. Also the Federal Walmart specials don't seem to stick.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    Ok thanks for the advice. I hag heard that a couple of times now. I didn't know that they would cause problems like that. I'm shooting Skeet at loch raven on Thursday. I'll pick some of those up and report back. Worth a shot before I go out and spend 60 on two boxes of 3 1/2 to shoot at a stump.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    Ok so I took it to a range and shot eighteen 3 1/2 win supreme magnum turkey loads. Ouch. Shoulder was ok but because of the muzzle climb, the hump on the buttstock tagged me a couple of times on the cheekbone. It's like getting kicked in the face by a mule. I little lost skin and a big knot but its better now. Note to self, keep face back.

Just took out for some more Skeet and made a big difference. Only jammed twice and I'm pretty sure once was ammo and second was pulled it away from shoulder too soon. Very happy with the gun.

Thanks for all the help. P.s. with full choke it will without a doubt take out a turkey at fifty. Can't wait to get a good turkey choke and check again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom