• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I was at the Timonium Gun Show (mainly to just get ammo) on Sunday and to my surprise a dealer had a Star Super Modelo A that really caught my eye and I went ahead and picked it up (or will in a week or so because of MD rules). The price was good enough that I excepted the difficulty I will face in finding ammo but it was nice to just make a purchase as I haven't for quite a while. Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for 9mm Largo please let me know, so far Long Mountain Outfitters seems to be the best deal (for corrosive anyway). I will post pics as soon as I pick it up--my phone pics were all blurry...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I saw that same Star. Good price, you did well! I've been contemplating getting an older Star like a M1920, 1921 or 1922 or I would have jumped on that one as well.

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I saw that same Star. Good price, you did well! I've been contemplating getting an older Star like a M1920, 1921 or 1922 or I would have jumped on that one as well.

I got it for $20 less than they wanted and the barrel looked brand new. Hopefully she'll be a good shooter!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I just bought a Star Model B (9mm Luger) from AIM.

It shoots great but it will NOT extract the empty. I ordered an Extractor from Numrich, but it is not the same as the one in the gun. I tried to file the old one a little to give it more :GRIP?:
    All in all I like the STAR.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I just bought a Star Model B (9mm Luger) from AIM.

It shoots great but it will NOT extract the empty. I ordered an Extractor from Numrich, but it is not the same as the one in the gun. I tried to file the old one a little to give it more :GRIP?:
    All in all I like the STAR.

Yup same problem with mine. Will eject acouple then stop. Empty brass sits on top of live round all but ejected. Gerrrr

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Yup same problem with mine. Will eject acouple then stop. Empty brass sits on top of live round all but ejected. Gerrrr

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That is what I get. I was told by a knowledgeable friend to cut the angle (on the end that grabs the bullet) with a file, to sharpen, or, make it rake back to wards the slide face a little. I also filed off a little material so the entire extractor would go deeper into the slide.
    My slide was machined for the extractor slot so deep you can see part of the firing pin with the extractor out.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The extractor seems to be a common problem with Star autos. I've seen more than a few folk post about trying to find and fix extractors for M1922, A and B series.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    they are in both calibers i believe

Be careful with the Star, don't dry fire it. Not that they are easily broken, but its impossible to find replacement firing pins if one does break.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I have a star B and star B super, both in Luger. Both run great....

You guys persuaded me. I've been looking at the Stars for quite awhile, but finally couldn't stand it any longer. I've got a birthday coming up, and asked my wife if she'd like to give me a present by contributing to a purchase. She agreed, and that put the thing into my budget range. I also (*gasp!*) bought a firearm that was listed on an auction site ... but as a classified ad. At $359, I probably over-paid for this one, but it looks pretty good in the photos, and is a 1945 model that was bought by the newly-formed Israeli government, served in their national defense forces, and ended up with the Jerusalem police force. That's just too much history for me to turn down, especially for something that should shoot pretty nicely. Best of all, it's supposed to be very close in dimensions to the Colt 1911 ... that's always a plus ... and it will be nice to have something around the house that shoots rounds that I ought to be able to pick up almost anywhere, rather than ordering them or making them (not that I mind making them).

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    For that price I would have got the one from AIM

I called AIM, and the guy I talked with hemmed and hawed a bit about condition. I got the impression that their stock was down to the ones that were a bit ratty. I also sent a PM to someone who recently got one of those, and he seemed to confirm my suspicions.

Plus, I liked the 1945 date of mfg.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    gotcha... :thumbsup:

Also, the ones from AIM are Russian arsenal refurbs, so the parts have almost certainly been swapped around. I'm hoping that this one is going to have all of its original innards without any scrub & stamp bits. The finish on the one that I'm buying looks pretty decent--as good as the Russian ones that were re-dipped sometime after the war. All those things add up to being worth the extra ~$50 to me. I may think otherwise when I get it, but right now I'm happy with the purchase. Sometimes you just get a hunch that steers you in a different direction than where the written info leads.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Sled - got looking at the photos that were posted of the Star B that I've ordered, and didn't see the FPatr08 mark that they advertised being on it. Called them, and the guy apologized, saying that it indeed was missing that mark. He gave me the option of cancelling the sale, or going through with it with what I thought to be a reasonable price adjustment. While we were on the phone, he field stripped the piece and answered some questions about it that I couldn't tell from the pics. It appears that the gun has its original finish and internal parts. The finish looks surprisingly good, as does the bore. The marks that are there are crisp. I'm not sure why I still want this one at a higher price than I can get elsewhere, but I just have a hunch about it. In any case, it's all about getting what we like, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom