• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Makes it rough on a Brick and Mortor Industry Partners trying to stay afloat when MFG's will do Group Buys on just about anything...eeey JoeBob?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Makes good business sense on Spikes part. They sell to an FFL @ 20-30% off retail, if they do a group buy to non FFL for say 20 units at 15% off retail they are ahead.

Sucks for the FFL trying to keep the lights on.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Some MFG's protect the Brick and Mortar shops and some don't....

I guess it comes down to perceived Value ...... What is the Dealer providing me and what is it worth?

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Makes it rough on a Brick and Mortor Industry Partners trying to stay afloat when MFG's will do Group Buys on just about anything...eeey JoeBob?

Some MFG's protect the Brick and Mortar shops and some don't....

I guess it comes down to perceived Value ...... What is the Dealer providing me and what is it worth?

I'd be surprised if they would be going behind the back of AIM Surplus doing a "Group Buy" if they worked out a deal to get an exclusive upper. Seems pretty.....:rolleyes:

Spike's has never been the best regarding "protecting" dealers. Margins are super slim, timelines are long, and they do group buys which is great for them and their branding, but bad for stocking dealers. It would be different if there was 50% built in margin for a dealer but that's definitely not the case. We have to buy 50+ BCG's at a time to compete with AIM Surplus...

They once ran a BCG "sale" on their website below what dealers could buy it for. I sent a nasty email to our sales rep and never heard back. Seems to me it would have been much better to sell them to dealers $10 cheaper if they bought X amount and move extra inventory that way rather that undercut dealers. :sad20:

The AIM Surplus upper seems pretty sweet. HOPEFULLY, for them, they get a bunch in and (no offense to anyone here) they keep their exclusive deal. AIM is a pretty solid retailer and it would suck for them to lose sales and be undercut after they invest quite a bit into marketing something and buying a very large sum I'm sure to get something "exclusive".

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I'd be surprised if they would be going behind the back of AIM Surplus doing a "Group Buy" if they worked out a deal to get an exclusive upper. Seems pretty.....:rolleyes:

Spike's has never been the best regarding "protecting" dealers. Margins are super slim, timelines are long, and they do group buys which is great for them and their branding, but bad for stocking dealers. It would be different if there was 50% built in margin for a dealer but that's definitely not the case. We have to buy 50+ BCG's at a time to compete with AIM Surplus...

They once ran a BCG "sale" on their website below what dealers could buy it for. I sent a nasty email to our sales rep and never heard back. Seems to me it would have been much better to sell them to dealers $10 cheaper if they bought X amount and move extra inventory that way rather that undercut dealers. :sad20:

The AIM Surplus upper seems pretty sweet. HOPEFULLY, for them, they get a bunch in and (no offense to anyone here) they keep their exclusive deal. AIM is a pretty solid retailer and it would suck for them to lose sales and be undercut after they invest quite a bit into marketing something and buying a very large sum I'm sure to get something "exclusive".

I feel for you and if I was in your shoes I would drop Spikes in a heartbeat and sell something else....F THEM ...

Just another MFG that is too greedy to care about the dealer base that supports them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I feel for you and if I was in your shoes I would drop Spikes in a heartbeat and sell something else....F THEM ...

Just another MFG that is too greedy to care about the dealer base that supports them.

I agree tzoid. The real reason Mfgs do the undercutting is because of internet buyers. Group buys get on my last effing nerve. I hate them. It seems many people wont buy from brick and mortar stores anymore. They will surf the internet for 3 days to save $5.00. If a local retailer has a product at a competitive rate then people wont buy it because of MD State Sales Tax. :sad20:

Spikes makes a great product but it seems like they only protect large retailers like AIM.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've contacted spikes about this upper and am on the list for a GROUP BUY!
    she said there is no expected date yet so don't get your hopes up yet.
    But when they are available we are looking at a 10-15% off retail for the buy. (not much but it's something)
    I don't have the numbers how many we will need yet

Id be in, if it gets between you and Aim think they would make one without a site post in the same configuration? Might be a good way to let Aim have exclusivity on their product (dont get me wrong Aim gets a good $1,000 out of me annually.........or more).

That said I agree about the bricks and motar, internet, GB process. No manufacturer is making efforts to keep the local shops in business, unfortunately our world is drifting towards a "click and ship". Heck you cant even walk into an auto parts store and get a set of rotors for your car these days (depending on Mfg) they only stock the most common parts, and they will order it and have it in a day or two but so can I in most cases cheaper.

I have always wondered why the B&M guys didnt get in on GB's its a great way to get people into a shop and get the salivation going on other products. (if you cant win, join em)

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    The biggest problem, IMO, is B&M stores don't have the marketing channels to operate the same as a forum, through newsletters, etc as a general rule. For a group buy you need a wide spread interest in a single product. Not exactly easy to do locally. Getting a lot of interest in a SINGLE product in a tiny window is really hard to do locally, honestly. We do group buys if possible but...yeah. Group buys of course are good for retailers because of large volumes of sales, gaining customers, etc. However, mfgr's, IMO, shouldn't participate. Their job is to push sales towards dealers and distributors. Many times dealers offer more variety in products, better service, and better communication than mfr's as they are the people on the ground floor selling product.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I agree tzoid. The real reason Mfgs do the undercutting is because of internet buyers. Group buys get on my last effing nerve. I hate them. It seems many people wont buy from brick and mortar stores anymore. They will surf the internet for 3 days to save $5.00. If a local retailer has a product at a competitive rate then people wont buy it because of MD State Sales Tax. :sad20:

Spikes makes a great product but it seems like they only protect large retailers like AIM.

you make a great point, and it makes me want to get into my favorite shop(s) and spend some money in there. even when i go to pick up an internet xfer, i usually try to buy something, if only out of principle... :thumbsup:

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    The biggest problem, IMO, is B&M stores don't have the marketing channels to operate the same as a forum, through newsletters, etc as a general rule. For a group buy you need a wide spread interest in a single product. Not exactly easy to do locally. Getting a lot of interest in a SINGLE product in a tiny window is really hard to do locally, honestly. We do group buys if possible but...yeah. Group buys of course are good for retailers because of large volumes of sales, gaining customers, etc. However, mfgr's, IMO, shouldn't participate. Their job is to push sales towards dealers and distributors. Many times dealers offer more variety in products, better service, and better communication than mfr's as they are the people on the ground floor selling product.

Exactly...

I would think a MFG would direct someone to a Local Authorised dealer rather than try to handle every end user sale that comes their way regardless of the size.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    UPS delivered mine today.

Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Will get it set up tomorrow, and will be hitting the range to see how it shoots.

Pics and range report hopefully tomorrow.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Chad, don't forget last Fall we had an ammo group buy and the place the ammo was bought from ended up being an Industry Partner on this forum. Even with sales tax, the price was better than internet shops were able to meet.

BTW folks, AIM still has this package on their web site.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...Elite+CHF+5.56/.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=55

Just debating if I really need this.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    standard.jpg

Installed it on an RRA lower and added a Gun Fighter Charging Handle, MOE vertical grip, MBUIS sight, TA31F ACOG and Vortex Flash Hider.

Took it to the range this morning, ran 300 rds of some shitty Federal XM193 (primer issues in carbines). Had it sighted in in 10 rounds at 50 yards, moved to 100 and dialed it up a little and started running mags through it. No issues of any kind, was getting decent grouping with the XM193 (2.5" or so) Prvi 75 gr tightened things up a little. Had no issues of any kind. Used 20 rd PMags, did all shooting from a bench, wasnt able to get up and do any shooting and moving with it.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. Looking forward to doing some more shooting with it. Might play with the optic choice, thinking about a T1, need more trigger time on it though. Want to do some close up shooting and moving while utilizing the BAC in the ACOG.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    How does the vertical grip attach?

Did you use the bolt on rail sections? If so, metal or polymer?

I got mine and got it together yesterday, range time set for tomorrow.

Still waiting on some parts (charging handle, buis)

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    How does the vertical grip attach?

Did you use the bolt on rail sections? If so, metal or polymer?

I got mine and got it together yesterday, range time set for tomorrow.

Still waiting on some parts (charging handle, buis)

The vertical grip is the version for the MOE handguards, it sits in the slots on the bottom of the handguards and just has a single bolt that goes through to a metal retaining plate.

Johnny Utah

Jul 23, 2008
    Mine should be here Tuesday. Not a huge fan of the A2 and the MOE, but the bcg and barrel sold me. I am already in talk with a company to install a KAC URXIII.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Mine should be here Tuesday. Not a huge fan of the A2 and the MOE, but the bcg and barrel sold me. I am already in talk with a company to install a KAC URXIII.

Check with Robb @ VA Arms. He has done a few of them lately.

I am going to try and leave mine as is, but a DD FSP rail is calling to me. I have gotten use to my grip being so far forward that I know I'm not going to be happy with the midlength handguards once I get off the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom