• ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    WTF?

§ 8003. Scope.

(a)(1) This chapter applies to the construction of a single-family residential dwelling for which a building permit is issued on or after January 1, 2024.

(2) This chapter applies to the construction of a multi-family residential dwelling for which an application for final site plan approval is submitted on or after January 1, 2025.

(b)(1) This chapter does not apply to the construction of a single-family residential dwelling for which a building permit is issued before January 1, 202 4.

(2) This chapter does not apply to the construction of a multi-family residential dwelling for which a final site plan approval is issued before January 1, 2025.

§ 8004. Single-family residential dwelling electric vehicle charging infrastructure requirements.

(a) Except as provided under subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a developer of a single-family residential dwelling shall install at least 1 electric vehicle capable parking space at each single-family residential dwelling constructed.

(1) If the single-family residential dwelling has an attached or detached garage, the electric vehicle capable parking space must be in the attached or detached garage.

(2) If the single-family residential dwelling does not have an attached or detached garage, an electric vehicle capable parking space must be provided in the driveway, assigned parking space for the dwelling, or at an unassigned non-street residential parking space constructed as part of the project.

(b) A developer does not need to run the electrical conduit from the electrical panel serving the electrical vehicle capable parking space to an electric junction box or receptacle located within 5 feet of the parking space if the electrical panel is in an attached or detached garage.

§ 8006. Enforcement.

(a) A single-family residential dwelling or a multi-family residential dwelling may not be used or occupied unless the developer has complied with this chapter.

(b) Each county government or municipal government may adopt rules or regulations to administer or enforce this chapter.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    As if housing prices are not bad enough. Maryland mandates sprinkler systems in new homes now. I noticed the model homes we were visiting in PA didn’t have them and asked the builder sales guy about It. He said they’re not required in PA but will install them if desired. I said no thinks but asked how much it was. For a 2 bedroom, single level house, $30,000.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As if housing prices are not bad enough. Maryland mandates sprinkler systems in new homes now. I noticed the model homes we were visiting in PA didn’t have them and asked the builder sales guy about It. He said they’re not required in PA but will install them if desired. I said no thinks but asked how much it was. For a 2 bedroom, single level house, $30,000.
    *****Yes. My new home in MoCo required a sprinkler system. No way to opt out. Dunno how much it cost but I do know there are two backup prevention valves that need to be rebuilt or replaced every five years. Not cheap to do so, and if I sell the house no question an inspector will ask for the certificate of maintenance that it was done. Estimates are between $800-$1000 to replace by a licensed plumber. The backup valves are not cheap. Crazy.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hard for me to read Legaleeze ,but does it say you just need to have the electrical wires run? I don't see where it says you need to have the charging station installed. I don't see where it states voltage and current capacity either. I think having a new home with more electrical wired into the garage is not that big of a deal if done during the new construction.

My garage has outlets in it already plus a 208 Heater that has been disconnected that is on a 20A breaker I recall.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    It is time to fire the government for gross incompetence
    It was hired by the public based upon its own ignorance, indifference, misinformation, and incompetence.

Who is grossly incompetent?

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Hard for me to read Legaleeze ,but does it say you just need to have the electrical wires run? I don't see where it says you need to have the charging station installed. I don't see where it states voltage and current capacity either. I think having a new home with more electrical wired into the garage is not that big of a deal if done during the new construction.

My garage has outlets in it already plus a 208 Heater that has been disconnected that is on a 20A breaker I recall.
    That's what I'm reading, but I only speak simple English. Don't see a definition of "electric vehicle capable parking space".

Seems like a 120v 15A outlet on a shared circuit would suffice, as it is not specified otherwise. For houses without a garage, I assume an external 120v outlet by the driveway meets the stated requirements.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

That's what I'm reading, but I only speak simple English. Don't see a definition of "electric vehicle capable parking space".

Seems like a 120v 15A outlet on a shared circuit would suffice, as it is not specified otherwise. For houses without a garage, I assume an external 120v outlet by the driveway meets the stated requirements.
    ------------

From the second link in my OP.
    (3) “Electric vehicle capable parking space” means a dedicated parking space with electrical panel capacity and space for a branch circuit dedicated to the parking space and equipped with raceways, both underground and surface mounted, to enable the future installation of electric vehicle supply equipment and that meets all of the following:

a. An electrical conduit is run continuously from the electrical panel serving the parking space to an electric junction box or receptacle located within 5 feet of the parking space.

b. The electrical conduit under paragraph (3)a of this section is sized and rated to accommodate a branch circuit of sufficient size to the future electrical charging facility.

c. The junction box or receptacle and the electrical panel under paragraph (3)a. of this section are conspicuously marked and identified as “For electric vehicle charging”.

d. If the junction box or receptacle under paragraph (3)a. of this section is not in a garage, the junction box or receptacle must be appropriately sealed.

(4) “ Electric vehicle charging infrastructure ” means the conductors, including the ungrounded, grounded, and equipment grounding conductors, and the electric vehicle connectors, attachment plugs, and any other fittings, devices, power outlets, or apparatus installed specifically for the purpose of transferring energy to an electric vehicle.

(5) “Electric vehicle charging infrastructure parking space” means a designated parking space with dedicated electric vehicle charging infrastructure, installed as required under the electrical code in this State and which can charge an electric vehicle located within 5 feet of the parking space.

Under the "multi-family dwelling" (which shouldn't apply to singles, yet(see below))
    (c) The electric vehicle charging infrastructure parking spaces required under this section must , at a minimum, be served by a 30-amp charging unit.

Here is the final kicker, and when this law "expires".... So now an unelected bureaucrat gets to dictate another part of our lives.
    Section 2. This Act expires on the date of publication in the Register of Regulations of a notice by the Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control that the Regulations for State Energy Conservation Code, Regulation 2101 of Title 7 of the Delaware Administrative Code, have been updated to match or exceed the standards adopted by this Act.

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head

Need to put on the outside so you can share with friends and whoever else happens to drop by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom