• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    I took a shooting course out in West Virginia this past weekend. The course we were on had us shooting at steel targets at ranges between 7 and 25 yards. Is there any chance that you will be able to work somethign like this into your plans, eventually at least? I dont know of any place around here that has that, and I would love to continue practicing some of the drills we were doing this past weekend... might also be a good way to get someone willing to teach classes at your range, bringing in extra business.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I took a shooting course out in West Virginia this past weekend. The course we were on had us shooting at steel targets at ranges between 7 and 25 yards. Is there any chance that you will be able to work something like this into your plans, eventually at least? I don't know of any place around here that has that, and I would love to continue practicing some of the drills we were doing this past weekend... might also be a good way to get someone willing to teach classes at your range, bringing in extra business.

I will allow steel and alternate targets on certain days. I am not planning on doing it on a daily basis. I was thinking one weekend each month to allow for "Alternate Targets Day" :D

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Are you planning on having any competition pits? I want to move and shoot!

I have toyed with the idea. I still have not made up my mind on the matter. I am still searching for the rules and requirements to have such a place. I have always liked the idea of having a "kill house" like what the military uses to practice with.

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    The place we were at in WV was set up with two of these pits, that was what I was asking about when I asked about the steel targets thing. A place where I can move and shoot, practicing what I learned in the class. I can’t do this at the average range where you are in a stall, or at a shooting table.

As you can see in these pictures, it doesn’t take a lot of room. As far as I know, there are no ranges in MD that you can do this at right now, but if I am wrong, I would love to hear from someone, because I would do this a lot more often if it were somewhat close to home. Driving to WV more than a few times a year just isn’t gonna happen, as much as I really enjoyed the class...

Also a picture of part of their kill house, pretty simple construction, but completely satisfactory for our purposes. Clearing them after dark was a heart pounding adventure as well. Which brings up another point, occasionally having the course open for low light training would be a welcome feature as well...

559439_365841150125718_135318473177988_996446_862104303_n.jpg

544499_365839083459258_135318473177988_996426_1116384603_n.jpg

533410_365844583458708_135318473177988_996458_1676475971_n.jpg

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    As far as I know, there are no ranges in MD that you can do this at right now, but if I am wrong, I would love to hear from someone,

You can do this at Sanners Lake and that’s only if you can get a membership, I have my fingers crossed for this year, have a member bring you in as a guest, or go to one of the public matches they host. Currently the ranges are closed for upgrades though.

My membership hinges on my ability to practice 'practical' shooting skills, thus the competition pits are a must.

I have pictures of the Sanners pits somewhere. I will post them if I find them. :)

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    As far as I know, there are no ranges in MD that you can do this at right now, but if I am wrong, I would love to hear from someone,
    You can do this at Sanners Lake and that’s only if you can get a membership, I have my fingers crossed for this year, have a member bring you in as a guest, or go to one of the public matches they host. Currently the ranges are closed for upgrades though.

My membership hinges on my ability to practice 'practical' shooting skills, thus the competition pits are a must.

I have pictures of the Sanners pits somewhere. I will post them if I find them. :)

As of this year you will have to be a IDPA certified RSO to use the practice pits or have an IDPA certified RSO around. No more show up and shoot. Sucks but if you want to do it, just get certified.

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    I need to go google sanners lake, not sure where it is. Has to be closer than WV though...

I am not a certified RSO, but I imagine it is not hard to get there with the proper motivation. Still, sounds like it may be difficult to become a member...

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland

As of this year you will have to be a IDPA certified RSO to use the practice pits or have an IDPA certified RSO around. No more show up and shoot. Sucks but if you want to do it, just get certified.
    IDPA RSO class scheduled for this Saturday (05 May) at Sanners. Sanners members have priority and you must be a member of IDPA. $10 is cheap. :D

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Closer than WV

I need to go google sanners lake, not sure where it is. Has to be closer than WV though...

I am not a certified RSO, but I imagine it is not hard to get there with the proper motivation. Still, sounds like it may be difficult to become a member...

See sannerslake.us. A new, more user-friendly website is due out soon, but the current one will at least give you the top-level details.

Although it IS closer than WV, the range rules are that you must wear shoes.;)

HTML:
    "I imagine it is not hard to get there with the proper motivation."
    Very true.

HTML:
    "Still, sounds like it may be difficult to become a member..."
    Probably not as bad as it has been in past years. We just increased the membership cap by 20% -- from 500 to 600, although there is already a substantial waiting-list.

Matches are open to the public. Come to a match (IDPA and Trap & Skeet are currently active, with other match programs likely to resume by mid-Summer). Shoot a match with the folks -- that's the best way to become sponsored as a member. Feel free to PM either Polecat or myself if you have additional questions.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Actually the deadline was moved back this year until the end of July.

Cool. Didn't see that on the website.

Well .... not cool actually. I really want to shoot. :o

I guess I'll just put some anti-itch cream on my trigger finger for another couple months.:D

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    See sannerslake.us. A new, more user-friendly website is due out soon, but the current one will at least give you the top-level details.

Although it IS closer than WV, the range rules are that you must wear shoes.;)

HTML:
    "I imagine it is not hard to get there with the proper motivation."
    Very true.

HTML:
    "Still, sounds like it may be difficult to become a member..."
    Probably not as bad as it has been in past years. We just increased the membership cap by 20% -- from 500 to 600, although there is already a substantial waiting-list.

Matches are open to the public. Come to a match (IDPA and Trap & Skeet are currently active, with other match programs likely to resume by mid-Summer). Shoot a match with the folks -- that's the best way to become sponsored as a member. Feel free to PM either Polecat or myself if you have additional questions.

Does this mean the range is reopened and matches are on again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom