• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obsidian468

Mar 11, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been looking around for pistols to try when deciding on the perfect pistol for me. I'm looking for suggestions from experienced shooters.

My primary handicap in looking for a pistol is that I'm left-handed, and have virtually zero dexterity with my right hand. I know this limits my choices quite a bit. If anyone has any suggestions for left-handed friendly pistols, I'm all ears.

To try and remember the pistols I've been asked to try and have tried, I've built a spreadsheet listing make, model, caliber, and with columns for notes and prices.

If you want to take a look, here it is: Pistols to try.

At the moment, at the top of my list, is the H&K P2000 9mm, with it's extremely comfortable feel and ambidextrous grip. However, that's only the second pistol I've tried in the calibers I'm looking at (9mm/.40/.45), and want to try many more before I decide on a weapon to purchase.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

(by the way, please let me know if the link above doesn't work)

Last edited:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I'm a fellow lefty, I have no issues with Glock, Sig or HK. I have learned to use the guns in my left hand w/o a problem.

I own HK USP's, Glock 34,26 &20 as well as Sig 226, 228, 239, 220 & 2022's all wioth out any problems. Us lefty's adjust to the ass backwards world we live in.

Use your trigger finger for the mag release, and sling shot the slide home to chamber the round.

Being a left isn't a handicap. Don't let it influence your decision.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    CZ82 $230 or so shipped right to your door if you have a C&R FFL.
    I am not a lefty, but the safety and mag release are on both sides.

LORDS SERVANT

Proverbs 3: 5&6
    Mar 13, 2009
    Port Deposit
    As a new shooter I would recommend the 9mm or 40 tops leaning more towards the 40 due to the rising costs of guns! Unless you have the money to spend? I have the 9mm and a 45cal by H&K fantastic guns. They've been in the top 10 list for awhile!

obsidian468

Mar 11, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    @Maui (and possibly to several others that have replied), my current price cap is $700 (I set that as it's equal to one month's rent, and likely my reasonable short term savings/spending limit). I could wait a little longer and save more, but seeing the recent trends in firearm prices, I feel that if I wait too long, I might miss my chance on the perfect pistol for me - as many of you probably well know, my current primary choice - the HK P2000 retails new for about $850.

obsidian468

Mar 11, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    @INMY01TA: They do? I test fired one at the range this past Tuesday, and was having problem after problem with the right-handed controls. Also, as the rangemaster was getting busy and I didn't even think about the lefty problem until almost the end of the evening when my friend mentioned she didn't know I was left-handed, I didn't think to ask about left-handed controls. I may have to try it again. A coworker of mine (that lives right around the corner) is an XD owner, and has offered to take me shooting. I'll have to take him up on it.

obsidian468

Mar 11, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    @Jeep: I have a few other models of HK on my list of pistols to try, as well as several Glocks and Sigs.

Right now, my top-of-the-list is the HK P2000 9mm, but that's only the second 9mm I've tried. I still have a lot to experience/try.

obsidian468

Mar 11, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    @Maui - I'm adding that to my list to try.

I am also quite open to used firearms. I figure that if I have to strip it down before using it, I'll just be that much more familiar with it.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    This talk about southpaw shooting got me thinking about having to shift my Single Action Army to my left hand to reload (because the loading gate is on the right side).

I tried a cylinder of dummies, unloaded and reloaded with the gun in my left hand the whole time. Dang. The things are made for lefties! So that's why the cylinder comes out to the left on double actions, to bring them into line with the normal world.

Actually, I can unload and load with the gun in my right hand all the time, it just takes practice. It's just easier to shift it, that's all.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I just got an HK USP 9mm. I'm right handed, but you can get USPs configured in a number of different ways. I noticed you had the P30 on your list, and I was thinking of getting one too, but USPs are a little cheaper.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    How do you feel about revolvers? For my money, the Ruger GP-100 in .357 is one of the finest handguns on the market today.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    obsidian468,

Here is my feedback:

1. Add a column to the spreadsheet for what material the frame is made from. Should be either poly (plastic), steel or alloy (aluminum).

2. Add another column for ambi controls

I asked you to add the frame material as I believe this should be taken into consideration. Do you want a plastic gun? Maybe aluminum? For me, steel just feels better and shoots better.

OK, now my recommendation would be a CZ-85 COMBAT in 9mm. This is one Sweet gun with ambi controls and all steel construction. It will last for a long time! It has a awesome reputation and is extremely accurate. You can check it out here: http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=42

It has an ambi slide stop and safety catch and the mag release is big and easy to use. Now, I am a CZ fanatic. I have two and I am looking for my third now. They run around $500-550 and are one of the best deals for quality versus price.

Have fun!

Phil

obsidian468

Mar 11, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    obsidian468,
    OK, now my recommendation would be a CZ-85 COMBAT in 9mm. This is one Sweet gun with ambi controls and all steel construction. It will last for a long time! It has a awesome reputation and is extremely accurate. You can check it out here: http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=42

It has an ambi slide stop and safety catch and the mag release is big and easy to use. Now, I am a CZ fanatic. I have two and I am looking for my third now. They run around $500-550 and are one of the best deals for quality versus price.

Have fun!

Phil

I've added the suggested columns to the spreadsheet - you make a good point.

Both of the smaller caliber guns I fired before moving up to the 9mm (Kimber 1911 .22 and [can't remember the make/model] .380 were both steel framed, and felt quite solid in my hands. As I'm looking primarily for a non-carry home defense and shooting range weapon, I think I'd prefer overall the steel-framed weapon, though ultimately, it'll be whatever feels best for me.

I'll add the CZ-85 to my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom